Buying a putter without hitting it?

Everyone is different, but I wouldn’t even consider it (unless you can return it easily like someone else said). For me, the putter has got to feel right, look right, perform well, there’s so much going on I have to try before I buy.

#FiberLaunch

Every putter I currently own or have ever purchased have been bought without hitting them first.

All the time. IMO, its not hard to acclimate from putter to putter, may not enjoy it the most in the long run, but acclimation has always been easy.
I agree with Jman on this. I think 5 or 6 of my last putters were acquired without trying them first. I acclimated to all of them just fine, with the exception of one which I really just didn't take to at all. And IIRC none of these putters were similar at all.

I did that with my current Works Versa 1W and I like it.

I've done it a couple times and it hasn't been too bad, but in general, I wouldn't recommend it to someone.

As a lefty I’ve done it numerous times - some have worked and others were a complete waste of money. My sight unseen putters were usually purchased used off of CPO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think I would buy one without first testing. Lucky enough to have a PGA Superstore not too far away that allowed me to side-by-side test 3 putters I was interested in. With all the new start-up golf companies that isn't always an option though, so either a small exchange/restocking fee helps. Have seen more trial programs like the U-Try from Global Golf and MLA selling an entry level putter for $50 & you get a $50 voucher toward one of their higher end putters.

I have done it a bunch. I put so little in them it's not a much of a loss. Putter I'm using now works well but always keep a backup.

... Golfers have different levels of feel and some are much more particular than others. I have always thought greta feel is a blessing and a curse and I will discard a putter almost instantly because of feel. Then there is the bigger question of balance. Does the putter easily stay on path for your backswing? For me many do not with my slight gate stroke and I can quickly discard a putter that wants to wander on my backstroke.

... When spending the kind of money the OP is talking about, I would take a drive out to the PGA Superstores in Schaumburg, Downers Grove or the one that just opened in Vernon Hills and demo one. Non rush hour it is only a 45 minutes drive or less depending on where you live in Chicago.

I think "testing" on an indoor synthetic surface green has little to no value.
If you swing it on a practice green for an hour and, or, play a round of golf with it, that's a worthwhile test.

I've done it far too many times, with only a handful of successes. My current Odyssey Versa, which I really like, was one success, as was an older SC. However, for the most part I really like to roll a few before purchase whenever possible.

I almost did this with a Toulon Portland but decided not to buy another club blind. I'll hit up EW in Memphis this weekend and give it a roll. I'll at least know if I like the way it feels and looks behind the ball.

Yup - and have regretted it every time...

For me the putter is mostly in the mind, so if you can convince your mind that it is the best one for you - you will likely putt better with it :D

The trouble is that your mind may be looking for other thoughts and suggestions of what the best one for you is, keeping those out is the tricky part.

I have had the same putter for a long time, I will never change; my mind knows that now :)

If it's a SeeMore, I will buy with out trying.

Back