Buying my new Mizunos

Martyn M

Reaction score
Hi everyone I’ve been looking for some new clubs. I play off 14, but looking to get some serious work in the next couple of years to get my handicap down. I think I’m an above average ball striker for my handicap, I’m also a leftie. What I really wanted was the Mizuno 921 in forged, my mate as the 919 in forged and I hit them really well, but I’ve showered the earth and I can’t get them not even in second hand. This year Mizuno do the hot metal and the tour in a SEL. 6 to gap in blade come muscleback and 4and 5 in forged. I also tried TM p770 and p7mc. The mc is a non starter couldn’t get on with them. I’ve only hit 20 shots with 7 iron In tour but I liked them a lot.I know I swing at about 85 mph and my lie is 2 degrees up. My question is I’m thinking of buying the Mizuno tour without fitting just regular shaft and adjusted lie. My reasoning is that by the time we get out of this lockdown il have them and can hit the ground running. If they need adjusting then bring them back. If I wait until lockdown is over I’d then have to book a fitting and then get in line with everybody else to get my clubs. This could be months. Nobody know what’s ahead. Any thoughts people

Ok, I have a LOT of recent experience with this, will go in depth for ya

One of my MP sets was ordered to fit 8 years ago (59's)
Two of my sets (MP20 HMB & 921 HMPs) were ordered standard b/c I got big discounts w/ no wait time

* Do you have the cash to potentially have to purchase new shafts or alter your clubs if you are fit for different?

I've been waiting on my appointment w/ my fitter for awhile so I have quite a few rounds trying out the new toys, I had my fitting two days ago

Notes from fitting:

* If you are tall like I am, tinkering w/ these new clubs has messed up my swing/posture
* The Mizuno shaft optimizer top 3 shafts were ironically the 3 shafts I had in my clubs lmao...(whew)
- C Taper Lite X's (my 20's have S & liked the S versus the X when swinging it)
- Project X 5.5 LZ's (already in my HMPs)
- Project X 5.5 Rifled (been in my bag for 8 years)
* My 59's were fit 3/4" long (I'm about 6'4") 8 years ago..
*My fitter let me choose what combo I want to experiment w/ first... I chose the 20s w/ C Taper Lites S 115G I believeee
* He wants to experiment at 1.25" long (o_O)
* Gave him my Bespoke Ferrules / Lime Winn dri Tac X's & now we wait

* Biggest key is your ability to fund any adjustments if you order standard IMO & to not mess your swing up if you know you're potentially someone who needs adjusted clubs

I’m 6ft tall so I don’t really think I’ll need them adjusting in length. My clubs now are Taylor made rsi1 and I pretty much hit out of the centre maybe slightly towards the toe. They are stock no adjustments and I hit a baby fade with them. I hit a draw when I hit the taylormade p770 that was adjusted 2up. But I’m making serious changes to my swing. So a lot of things will be negated. Hence I think I should buy stock 2 degrees up and go with that. If I have to change shafts and lie afterwards then yes I’ve got the cash. I don’t really want to go this way. But the way things are going we might not get that many occasions to play golf this summer.

I’m 6ft tall so I don’t really think I’ll need them adjusting in length. My clubs now are Taylor made rsi1 and I pretty much hit out of the centre maybe slightly towards the toe. They are stock no adjustments and I hit a baby fade with them. I hit a draw when I hit the taylormade p770 that was adjusted 2up. But I’m making serious changes to my swing. So a lot of things will be negated. Hence I think I should buy stock 2 degrees up and go with that. If I have to change shafts and lie afterwards then yes I’ve got the cash. I don’t really want to go this way. But the way things are going we might not get that many occasions to play golf this summer.

where you located? & are you talking bc of covid?

Yes I’m in lockdown in England and it looks like the golf courses and golf shops will be closed for at least another 2 months

Yes I’m in lockdown in England and it looks like the golf courses and golf shops will be closed for at least another 2 months

makes sense.. sorry bud. makes zero sense for a mostly socially distanced outdoor activity would be shutdown even scientifically but that's neither here nor there

I know. If I wait for a fitting there will be a lot of people trying to get a fit and then order there irons at the same time. And then we were all stuck waiting in a lock jam. Just trying to get out ahead of the curve

Back