CA Military Base Courses...

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
anyone have any input about courses on base in CA?

Sea N' Air on NAS North Island (Coronado) is a fun course, with great ocean views. Marine Memorial Golf course on MCB Camp Pendleton (Oceanside) is nice - very open and enjoyable to play. Admiral Baker Golf Course (San Diego) has two 18s, I haven't played there in many years but another good track - it's near the old Qualcomm/Jack Murphy Stadium in Mission Valley. It's a military (Navy) course, but not on board any base. General Old Golf Course is on the March Air Reserve Base in Riverside - it's nothing fancy, but I really enjoyed playing there and it's very inexpensive.

Take all this with a grain of salt since my experience with these courses is pretty dated. But if these tracks are still open and well maintained there were two I really enjoyed playing (interesting layouts with some memorable holes and sufficiently challenging) and two that I found to be boring and forgettable. I enjoyed playing the courses on Vandenberg AFB (near Lompoc) and Edwards AFB (near Lancaster). The courses at Point Mugu and Port Hueneme (both near Camarillo) did nothing for me ... (other than than watching the sea lions romping around)

Bayonet is an old military course technically. Amazing track.

29 Palms had a nice course when I was stationed there. 9 hole

Second for Pendleton! Fun track but wat h out for the rattlers.

The only two I have played is the Sea N Air course on Coronado, and General Old in Riverside. General Old is open to the public and next to the March AFB Cemetery.

The course that was on Vandenberg AFB closed a few years ago. Too bad, it was a very nice course!

29 Palms had a nice course when I was stationed there. 9 hole

yeah, out in ocotillo...that was before my playing time began...went on many a run around it, tho :cautious:

My uncle worked out at Edwards AFB and I used to go out there and play quite a bit. It's called Muroc Lake. It's a great course. Every hole is surrounded by desert. It's been at least ten years since I've been out there but looking to give it a shot again. HIghly recommend.

There are definitely some fun tracks on military in California. As mentioned, the best I believe have closed or no longer military. Vandenberg, Bayonet and Black Horse at Ford Ord, and my favorite Presidio, were the best.
I’ve always enjoyed Adm Baker in San Diego. Nothing really special, just fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navy GC in Cypress is not bad. I haven’t played the big course in decades, but the 9 hole course is okay. It used to be a rock garden, but they have cleaned it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navy GC in Cypress is not bad. I haven’t played the big course in decades, but the 9 hole course is okay. It used to be a rock garden, but they have cleaned it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Destroyer course at Los Alamitos Naval Weapons Station is the 18 hole course and is currently in very good condition. It just re-opened a month or so ago after being shut due to Covid. The 9 hole course is the cruiser course and is a fun track too.

Loved playing Bayonet. It's the only course I'd pack a 1-iron to get out from under the trees (back when run by the military).

Last time I played Travis AFB I forgot about holding onto my car door. The wind there can be fierce, and it blew my door open and bent the frame. Serious wind tunnel, but fun if you are up for that sort of thing.

Crazy that you need the 1 iron to get out from under the trees...from the fairway. Haha..

Back