Cable companies - Cutting the cord

I dropped directv, went with psvue. Although psvue dropped their viacom channels (nick for the kids and comedy central for me), its still more than worth the $90/month savings. I'm already an amazon prime member, so i have that, as well as netflix, and that would be it.

~Rock

I cut the cord in the summer and went to PS Vue, the switched to Dtv Now. With the big deal package for 35 bucks promo that is about to end, it is a freaking steal. Like others live sports was the only thing keeping me from jumping, and that's not a problem anymore. I am not giving up a single channel I watched when paying 100 for cable, although I am anxious for their DVR to roll out on DTVnow. The DVR on Vue was awesome.

DtV is definitely a work in progress and still working through bugs, but I don't mind being patient in order to get every channel I want for 35 bucks.

I cut the cord in the summer and went to PS Vue, the switched to Dtv Now. With the big deal package for 35 bucks promo that is about to end, it is a freaking steal. Like others live sports was the only thing keeping me from jumping, and that's not a problem anymore. I am not giving up a single channel I watched when paying 100 for cable, although I am anxious for their DVR to roll out on DTVnow. The DVR on Vue was awesome.

DtV is definitely a work in progress and still working through bugs, but I don't mind being patient in order to get every channel I want for 35 bucks.

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully they get the cloud dvr service running sooner rather than later, but with all the channels we need, especially the disney channels for my daughter's, its a no brainer for us. I will miss NFLN, but hopefully by next season they get that taken care of and add it a la cart like HBO

We switched from U-verse paying over $200 a month to Comcast are now paying under $200 a month but not by much. I've been doing some math and I think we can get it down and save close to $85-90 by cutting the cord. Didn't even know about the DTV now. I'll look into that. I father-in-law's coming over tonight and bringing over a fire stick so I'll check that out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cable companies - Cutting the cord

I have absolutely no interest in cutting the cord. The hassle in dealing with multiple apps, jailbreaking Amazon Fire sticks or any other hoops one has to jump through to get the content wanted is not worth the savings. We have a triple play package through Charter, Tivo throughout the house and have never had any issues with any of it. I don't know if we are just getting an unbelievable rate for all three services, but when I looked at dropping cable and going to the app route, my savings just were not significant enough to do it.

Yeah for that it's not worth it. Our savings would be significant

We switched from U-verse paying over $200 a month to Comcast are now paying under $200 a month but not by much. I've been doing some math and I think we can get it down and save close to $85-90 by cutting the cord. Didn't even know about the DTV now. I'll look into that. I father-in-law's coming over tonight and bringing over a fire stick so I'll check that out as well.

Holy cow that is crazy expensive. Im guessing that includes your internet as well. Keep in mind that when you unbundle, quite a few places raise your internet only rate. And that you might have to increase speed for streaming (not everybody has to).

Direct tv now has a promo where you sign up and get their 2nd best package which runs normally $60 for $35 for as along as you keep the service. They will also give you a new apple tv if you pre pay three months. great way to test it out & if you dont like it the worse that happens is you have a new apple tv.

Has DtV provided a timeframe for a DVR?? In the absence on a DVR now, are you able to use something to record shows for later?

Has DtV provided a timeframe for a DVR?? In the absence on a DVR now, are you able to use something to record shows for later?
Nope they originally said in 2017, people have been told first quarter by support.

I dropped Comcast/Xfinity cable, but kept my internet service with them. Currently using PSVue for "TV", via Amazon Fire TV boxes, on both televisions. Also have Amazon Prime and Netflix. I haven't missed cable a single bit. I am watching how my cable data usage looks month-to-month. Comcast does have a theoretical cap on the data usage each month, and could charge me for going over. I haven't gone over, yet, but we'll see how that looks during the winter, when my household tends to watch more TV than in less-cold months.

One thing to remember for those that look to switch to a streaming service, is how many devices can you watch simultaneously. Sling, Vue, and Now all have different restrictions on how many streams can be watched at the same time. If it's just you, or maybe one other person, then it shouldn't be an issue, but if you have kids that may be wanting to watch at the same time, that may affect what service you have to go with.

So far, Vue's DVR has been very easy to use.

Holy cow that is crazy expensive. Im guessing that includes your internet as well. Keep in mind that when you unbundle, quite a few places raise your internet only rate. And that you might have to increase speed for streaming (not everybody has to).

I know. Pretty crazy. But that does include Internet, cable and rental devices. All taxes are also included. It adds up pretty quick though. Oh and this is pretty much the basic package. I don't think I can go any lower

Direct tv now has a promo where you sign up and get their 2nd best package which runs normally $60 for $35 for as along as you keep the service. They will also give you a new apple tv if you pre pay three months. great way to test it out & if you dont like it the worse that happens is you have a new apple tv.

Definitely a viable option. We already have an Apple TV for the kids in their room where they watch most of their TV on.

I know. Pretty crazy. But that does include Internet, cable and rental devices. All taxes are also included. It adds up pretty quick though. Oh and this is pretty much the basic package. I don't think I can go any lower

Definitely a viable option. We already have an Apple TV for the kids in their room where they watch most of their TV on.

Man that is nuts. Although including internet at roughly $70-$80 if its not some promotional deal, I could see it.
There are some crazy good deals going on right now, so that price is crazy crazy.

We got crazy fast internet for $50 on a promotional deal and D* with NFL Ticket and Golf Channel and such for barely over another $50.

One thing to remember for those that look to switch to a streaming service, is how many devices can you watch simultaneously. Sling, Vue, and Now all have different restrictions on how many streams can be watched at the same time. If it's just you, or maybe one other person, then it shouldn't be an issue, but if you have kids that may be wanting to watch at the same time, that may affect what service you have to go with.

So far, Vue's DVR has been very easy to use.

The DVR is the one thing we miss the most, been interested to see how some of the other companies respond to Vue's DVR.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I'm paying $300 a month for Comcast Xfinity/Quad Play - 150 mb internet, all channels including premium (except some international), phone, alarm with camera, and all associated rental/equipment fees. I don't even watch tv other than the golf channel and I could watch most of what I want golf related online. But I can't get my wife/kid to agree to cut the cord. I suspect I could be under $100 for the alarm and internet services.

We cut the cord a couple years ago. Currently, we use Charter for internet ($46/mon promo thru May). Roku 3 ($89 1-time cost) in the main room, along with an HD Antennae ($69 1-time cost) for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS and a few other over-the-air channels. We also pay for Netflix ($11/mon), Hulu ($9/mon), Prime ($99/year. I'll save more than that in s/h from Amazon orders.) and Acorn ($5/mon).

We've got 2 TV's (about to add a 3rd), 1 PC, 1 tablet and 3 phones all using WiFi via the router. But, with 3 people in the house, not all of those are used at the same time. But, I bet 5 get used at a time when we are watching shows on both TVs while all playing on our phones.

1-time costs: 158 (89+69)
Monthly costs: 81 (46+11+9+5)
Annual costs: 99 (free amazon shipping and other savings from their site offset this cost)

I pay 80 for 50mb, and 140.00 for DIRECTV. When I switch to DIRECTV now I'll be saving 100.00 a month.

I was considering cutting the cord, but call DirecTV first. Dropped my bill about $50 a month by telling them I was going to cancel. We will only be paying about $55 a month now. I can live with that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So I called my service provider today and internet alone at download speed of UP TO 75mbps is $79.99+tax.

For those who have cut the cord, what speed are you guys on with your provider? Lag issues?

So I called my service provider today and internet alone at download speed of UP TO 75mbps is $79.99+tax.

For those who have cut the cord, what speed are you guys on with your provider? Lag issues?

I have 50 mbps and have had very few issues with lag or stuttering.

It depends how close they are going to maintain you near that number.

It depends how close they are going to maintain you near that number.

Interesting because I asked them what I was currently using and they refused to tell me. AGAIN CRAZY! That leaves me to believe that I can probably go with a lower plan because chances are I'm not there at those speeds all that often

Interesting because I asked them what I was currently using and they refused to tell me. AGAIN CRAZY! That leaves me to believe that I can probably go with a lower plan because chances are I'm not there at those speeds all that often

Saw you were with Uverse that reminds me i need to call and do my annual haggling with them.u should easily be able to go lower and not hardly notice a difference if any at all

Saw you were with Uverse that reminds me i need to call and do my annual haggling with them.u should easily be able to go lower and not hardly notice a difference if any at all

I'm actually with Comcast Xfinity. I used to be with Uverse but they were ven more costly

I'm actually with Comcast Xfinity. I used to be with Uverse but they were ven more costly

Ah ok read it too quick. I think im at 133ish for cable...3 boxes and internet.
Hooing to upgrade interest and drop a box and stay neutral...if not ill be shopping around

Back