Cable companies - Cutting the cord

So I called my service provider today and internet alone at download speed of UP TO 75mbps is $79.99+tax.

For those who have cut the cord, what speed are you guys on with your provider? Lag issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with XFINITY and I have the Blast Plus/pro with home monitoring. Internet part is just under $65 a month and these are my speeds on wireless

a08fbe14b54fb00456b19fb0d4bbce23.png

FYI, the DirecTV Now promo for 35.00 a month expires tomorrow.

FYI, the DirecTV Now promo for 35.00 a month expires tomorrow.
The pay 3 months and get apple TV from directv now is a good deal for the Apple TV. Their service is in beta at best though. Still worth it to get it for 3 months and cancel. Basically getting 50 bucks off on apple tv

I'm with XFINITY and I have the Blast Plus/pro with home monitoring. Internet part is just under $65 a month and these are my speeds on wireless

a08fbe14b54fb00456b19fb0d4bbce23.png

Yeah your service is cheaper over there. Internet service for the starter package starts at $66 in my area with xfinity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pay 3 months and get apple TV from directv now is a good deal for the Apple TV. Their service is in beta at best though. Still worth it to get it for 3 months and cancel. Basically getting 50 bucks off on apple tv

Exactly why I did it. I am going to give it 90 days and see how the wife responds. Between Hulu, Netflix and DirecTV now I think we will be fine. We never watch live TV anyway so if I miss it live there are enough options to watch it on demand through Hulu until they get their DVR running.

Exactly why I did it. I am going to give it 90 days and see how the wife responds. Between Hulu, Netflix and DirecTV now I think we will be fine. We never watch live TV anyway so if I miss it live there are enough options to watch it on demand through Hulu until they get their DVR running.

I've been running it side by side with dtv satellite. The girls' biggest complaint is the dtv, but they have their channels and I have an OTa antenna for locals. We've found we aren't missing much and have enough content to be happy.

Plus it's gotten us off the couch and interacting more as a family, whether that be putting legos together, puzzles, reading or going to the range and practicing

The AppleTV from Directv Now will be here tomorrow and I set up a Fire Stick on another TV today. Purchased an antenna and this weekend were gonna just use streaming and apps and see how it works out. Wife seems to be on board so far.

I've literally called AT&T every year for the past four years (once my promo pricing expires) and threatened to "cancel" if they don't give me the same promo again (which I would). They have agreed each time. I have been paying about $66 a month for Cable (with extended sports - ESPNU, Golf, MLBTV, etc.) plus about $40 for internet.

Also just bought a "Roku" stick for a TV that I have in my office to save on paying a monthly fee for an additional box. Really like it so far. Easy to use with lots of streaming channels.

The AppleTV from Directv Now will be here tomorrow and I set up a Fire Stick on another TV today. Purchased an antenna and this weekend were gonna just use streaming and apps and see how it works out. Wife seems to be on board so far.

What antenna did you go with?

What antenna did you go with?

For now some 10.00 throwaway on Amazon. If this takes hold and we cancel DirecTV I am going to mount a high gain antenna in the attic and run the signal through the Coax already installed in the house.

For now some 10.00 throwaway on Amazon. If this takes hold and we cancel DirecTV I am going to mount a high gain antenna in the attic and run the signal through the Coax already installed in the house.

I picked up the Mohu antenna last weekend and need to set it up for our downstairs so we get more local channels.

That would give me direct tv now, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu which is more than enough content. I think another couple of weeks and we are cutting DIRECTV off.

Cut the cord at the beginning of the summer and saving over $100 without losing any channels. Kept Internet and basic TV for locals through Cox - was cheaper to "bundle" the basic package than only having Internet, so no need to mess with an OTA antenna. Basically replaced my bloated digital package and equipment rentals with an Amazon Fire TV box and Playstation Vue. Live sports is what had held me back, but get everything I need with Vue. Already had Netflix, Amazon Prime, and MLB.tv.

SlingTv just launched this at CES. A unified experience for Sling, Netflix and local stations.

https://www.sling.com/devices/airtv

I'm thinking about going this route. Spoke with one of the guys at CES and he told me that they have a beta program for up to 100 hrs of recording via RoKu. The DVR is the only deal breaker for me to cut the cord with DirecTV. But you can't go wrong with Slingbox for $25/month with local channels.

I'm thinking about going this route. Spoke with one of the guys at CES and he told me that they have a beta program for up to 100 hrs of recording via RoKu. The DVR is the only deal breaker for me to cut the cord with DirecTV. But you can't go wrong with Slingbox for $25/month with local channels.

The DVR thing is less of an issue for me since I have Hulu to get on demand for the networks.

DVR aspect is more for the wife of kids.

I really want to do this my DirecTV is $140 and my internet is $50. That's just too much

Cut it a few months ago and don't miss it, but love the savings. When in Fl we have about twenty local stations but in NC no local because of the mountains, if we were on top of the hill would be a different story. Don't care about live sports except the golf channel which we get. We have figured out that the TV is mostly background noise while on the computer or doing something else so it doesn't matter much. My wife can get her soap so all is good.

I wish the wife would drop the Cox package which is over $200.00 a month with phone, internet, and TV. I watch most of what I want off of the firestick.

The only downside I saw with these new boxes (AirTv or similar) is that they're $99/tv, where as with the Roku or Fire sticks, you can get a tv up and running for $30-$40 per tv.

Also, I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but a Slingbox is a completely different animal than Sling TV.

I'm using a Mohu Sky indoor/outdoor antenna. It's mounted in my attic, and most of our towers are approx 45 miles from me. I only "needed" the antenna for ABC as the rest of my locals are avail through Vue, and the picture is nice and clear.

I'm using a Mohu Sky indoor/outdoor antenna. It's mounted in my attic, and most of our towers are approx 45 miles from me. I only "needed" the antenna for ABC as the rest of my locals are avail through Vue, and the picture is nice and clear.

Has it always been in the attic? Did you try mounting it close to the tv? If so any difference?

Has it always been in the attic? Did you try mounting it close to the tv? If so any difference?

My DirecTV dish was mounted on the roof line just outside of my (accessible) attic. The coax ran from there down to my smart box in my master closet, then split from there to all the tvs in the house. I wanted to have the OTA signal running to all the tvs, so, I tied the Mohu into the coax in the attic, that way I wouldn't have to rewire anything.

My other option was to mount the Mohu on the arm of the dish outdoors IF the signal wasn't good inside.

This particular antenna comes with a signal booster, so it helped counter the length of the coax run. My house is 2 story, and the antenna is at the opposite end from the smart box, so it's a pretty good run, but the signal is still strong enough.

My DirecTV dish was mounted on the roof line just outside of my (accessible) attic. The coax ran from there down to my smart box in my master closet, then split from there to all the tvs in the house. I wanted to have the OTA signal running to all the tvs, so, I tied the Mohu into the coax in the attic, that way I wouldn't have to rewire anything.

My other option was to mount the Mohu on the arm of the dish outdoors IF the signal wasn't good inside.

This particular antenna comes with a signal booster, so it helped counter the length of the coax run. My house is 2 story, and the antenna is at the opposite end from the smart box, so it's a pretty good run, but the signal is still strong enough.

Thanks. I think I'll try that and see what my signal looks like.

I haven't had a tv for at least 18 years now, and I do not miss it at all. I didn't get rid of it to save costs, but, because I had tons of channels but could never find anything to watch, plus the commercials every few minutes drove me crazy. I don't miss it at all. I have no problem filling my time in other, more productive ways, and to me it was a huge time waster. Now I use the time reading or playing my guitar. It seems most people I talk to complain about their tv experience and are frustrated by the lack of good programming and the costs.

Mike, I have radiant barrier in the attic but was able to place the antenna near a wall that didn't, which helps I'm sure.

If you don't have an area that is clear of the radiant barrier, you may have to mount it outside.

Back