Cable companies - Cutting the cord

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger at this moment because I'm grandfathered into an anctual good plan with every channel I want but DirecTV Now has to be the worst from a service perspective. I've spent the last month without 2 of the 4 major networks available to be due to contract disputed. I'm still missing NBC while they fight with Nexstar. It was announced 2 full days ago that an agreement was reached with CBS to restore service to the CBS channels and I still don't have my local CBS affiliate back yet. It probably took them 30 seconds to apply code to the service to remove the channels but taking more than 2 days to bring it back is completely unacceptable.
Business as usual for me as directv now doesn't have locals here.

But, I'm grandfathered into one of their old plans too. So many channels. I could save a few bucks by switching but we'd have to sacrifice either some of my wife's channels or some of the kids. Neither of them want to budge, lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Business as usual for me as directv now doesn't have locals here.

But, I'm grandfathered into one of their old plans too. So many channels. I could save a few bucks by switching but we'd have to sacrifice either some of my wife's channels or some of the kids. Neither of them want to budge, lol.

I may just need to break down and get an over the air HD antenna. I still have local CBS access through their All Access app. I'm sure I'll get angrier when the fall season starts but so far this summer I've only gotten mad about missing the Saturday and Sunday coverage of The Open on NBC.

I may just need to break down and get an over the air HD antenna. I still have local CBS access through their All Access app. I'm sure I'll get angrier when the fall season starts but so far this summer I've only gotten mad about missing the Saturday and Sunday coverage of The Open on NBC.
I bought a decent antenna and mounted it next to one of our old dishes. Just moved the coaxial cable from the dish over to the antenna. It was already run into the house to a splitter and had a run to each TV. So, just needed to plug the cable in to each TV and program them. I only switch over to it for golf coverage and NFL. Almost forget their available and would be nice to have them in our regular guide though.

Contract with Frontier (formerly Verizon Fios) just ran out... Had a pretty sweet deal and they didn't even make an effort to try to retain me, which I kinda expected.

So later this month I'm going streaming, and will have 500 mbps to cover all of my connected devices. For my area Frontier was the fastest option and the price was the same whether I went 200 or 500 mbps. Strange, but whatever.

I'm considering either PSVue or YouTube TV, so any feedback users of these services can provide will be appreciated. What do you like? What don't you like or what's missing?

It appears the Core option for Vue is what I'd go with and I think YT only offers a standard set of channels and no option to increase it...?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm probably bailing on Hulu Live TV. Watching perfect PGA Live visuals the last two days and now watching grainy NBC action.

not awesome. That sucks.

My latest discounted contract expired with DishTV, so I mailed their equipment back and (after testing most of the other services) I am using YouTube TV and Philo (Viacom channels) for now. Hulu Live TV would actually be the cheapest for me, since I already use them, but their interface and lack of a customizable guide made it very annoying for casual use. Most of the other services except Fubo and YTTV also have whacky guides that may or may not annoy you. YTTV's is nice and traditional in its layout and its channel switching response is very snappy, especially on the ATV4k. Note: There is no NFL Network/RedZone/NHL Channel on YTTV as of right now.

I also use Xfinity for internet so now of course the 1TB cap is a threat. Their internet/tv combo package for around $130 (first 12 months) would actually be cheaper than my current setup but with multiple tv's/devices and Xfinity's lack of a decent app to watch on your iPad or away from home, the streaming services should pan out eventually.

Also, as a backup and to save bandwidth when possible, I've used a Mohu 60 antenna for local OTA channels, which is perfect for sports/golf/football/local news/network shows. When paired with an HD Home Run device and the Channels app, you only need to plug the antenna into one device and then use the app throughout your network to watch OTA, you also get one of the very best guide layouts possible for your OTA stations and also the ability to record those sports events and shows on those channels.

Cost-wise, it's a close to a wash with at least 6 months to re-capture the expense for the antenna/HD Home Run, etc but with a heck of a lot more flexibility than before. (not including Netflix, Prime, Hulu in totals below)

Before: DishTV 200 $95 (discounted) + Xfinity 150 mbps $65 (discounted) = $160
Now: YTTV $50 + PhiloTV $20 + Xfinity 150 mbps $65 (discounted) + $8 Channels DVR = $143

Looked at cutting the XFINITY chord and going with YouTube tv (didn’t realize we were paying 240 a month, and last month was over 300 as they charged us for international calls we didn’t make). The stream was ok, but the guide on YouTube tv was nowhere as slick as XFINITY. The real thing that stopped me though, was to get half decent internet, I’m looking at $100 a month, which is bloody ridiculous. I need decent speeds due to all the bloody devices going at one time, but dang! $100 a month. Back home, I used to pay about $10 a month on top of my Sky subscription. XFINITY have dropped us down to $180 a month which includes the home alarm system and monitoring, so cutting the chord now would save me about $10, hardly worth it. These cable companies really are cute. They know how to hook you in and keep you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_UK;n8882014 said:
Looked at cutting the XFINITY chord and going with YouTube tv (didn’t realize we were paying 240 a month, and last month was over 300 as they charged us for international calls we didn’t make). The stream was ok, but the guide on YouTube tv was nowhere as slick as XFINITY. The real thing that stopped me though, was to get half decent internet, I’m looking at $100 a month, which is bloody ridiculous. I need decent speeds due to all the bloody devices going at one time, but dang! $100 a month. Back home, I used to pay about $10 a month on top of my Sky subscription. XFINITY have dropped us down to $180 a month which includes the home alarm system and monitoring, so cutting the chord now would save me about $10, hardly worth it. These cable companies really are cute. They know how to hook you in and keep you there!

Yup, I looked several months ago at doing same thing, youtube tv was fine, but the guide and lack of a DVR were going to be an issue, and to keep the same level of internet was $130 a month.... I am paying $200 a month total and have HBO and Showtime so it would have been more expensive cancel the TV. Reupped for 2 years and will see if things improve (need a competitor for internet but not holding my breath on that one) on the streaming side.

Have to share this... Frontier installed my 500/500 capable router today, replacing the prior one supporting my 75/75 service. Tech said I would probably only get 250-400 mbps as their infrastructure doesn't really run at 500 mbps efficiently...yet...

Install goes smoothly, I reset my Google Mesh Wifi service back up and run a connection test.

Edit: My 500/500 service is only $70 per month, and apparently Frontier is running a deal that makes it $39 for new customers for 2 years.

See the attached screenshot for the results...comical...

fc8e844b0b02407b14787b04652ee117.jpg

I cut the cord and it was fine for sports as long as I wanted to watch live. I used Fubo.tv. Had everything. I could literally watch every game in the world as long as it wasn't on ESPN. Which isn't a ton for me. College football will be the test. But it has redzone and nfl network. The only problem with it is if you aren't watching the game live and want to dvr the game you have to wait for it to actually be over before you could use dvr. Other than that it was perfect.

stevie-a;n8882180 said:
Have to share this... Frontier installed my 500/500 capable router today, replacing the prior one supporting my 75/75 service. Tech said I would probably only get 250-400 mbps as their infrastructure doesn't really run at 500 mbps efficiently...yet...

Install goes smoothly, I reset my Google Mesh Wifi service back up and run a connection test.

Edit: My 500/500 service is only $70 per month, and apparently Frontier is running a deal that makes it $39 for new customers for 2 years.

See the attached screenshot for the results...comical...

fc8e844b0b02407b14787b04652ee117.jpg

I am very annoyed that Verizon does not yet have FiOS in my area or I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

I have Comcast and my cable box fried after 3 months.. I only have the cable because their prices for internet only were more expensive than the combo, I really hope Verizon gets down here soon though

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

greekelite;n8882244 said:
I am very annoyed that Verizon does not yet have FiOS in my area or I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

I have Comcast and my cable box fried after 3 months.. I only have the cable because their prices for internet only were more expensive than the combo, I really hope Verizon gets down here soon though

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
My neighborhood was setup exclusively with Verizon Fios, so it was our only cable option...otherwise it was satellite. Then Frontier took over and it was a complete disaster initially - not the TV service, but rather their billing and customer service. Long story short, Frontier's incompetence led to me getting a "sweetheart" deal via an FCC complaint...which just expired and led me to streaming.

I'm using PS Vue and like the setup so far... I'm also using my Kodi service, which works like a champ on my new 500/500 service.

Its funny, last sunday I couldn't watch the Lions play on local tv so I had to download a sling trial. Worked good for the game but overall not thrilled with the channel lineup from the blue. I thought I was getting locals but only got Fox and some other stuff. Anyhow, after that I ordered a $13 Mohu antenna from Amazon and hooked it up yesterday. After a quick channel scan I get ALL of my local channels completely free so thats pretty awesome. The picture is great too, so now I'm covered for suffering through watching local sports haha

jdtox;n8906636 said:
Its funny, last sunday I couldn't watch the Lions play on local tv so I had to download a sling trial. Worked good for the game but overall not thrilled with the channel lineup from the blue. I thought I was getting locals but only got Fox and some other stuff. Anyhow, after that I ordered a $13 Mohu antenna from Amazon and hooked it up yesterday. After a quick channel scan I get ALL of my local channels completely free so thats pretty awesome. The picture is great too, so now I'm covered for suffering through watching local sports haha

I have a Mohu sky antenna and it rocks.

Lots of great new options for cord cutters here and coming. What say you guys, will you try out:
Apple TV
Disney plus
Others????

Lots of great new options for cord cutters here and coming. What say you guys, will you try out:
Apple TV
Disney plus
Others????

Apple+ is unique. Launching with less than a dozen shows it looks like.

Apple TV
Disney plus
Others????
I've been on PS Vue for about 2 months now and really like it. The guide works, but could be better. I'd also love it if I could program/set "channel numbers" to make it easier to switch between networks.

I've see the other streaming ptions and they all have their merits, but having Vue on up to 5 TV's at the same time is great...and if you have PS3 or PS4 console you can run up to 3 channels at the same time! Sports lovers paradise!

Apple TV
Disney plus
Others????
I’ll have Apple TV courtesy of my new phone for a year. I don’t see myself renewing that one though.
Disney+ is simmering we’ll have for a month or so at least. Maybe more, assuming all the marvel content is actually included.

This is where I’m at right now. Xfinity is charging us $170 month but going only internet is $90 month. Add in YouTube TV or something comparable and losing DVR and some channels my wife likes (TLC, etc) and it’s really not gonna be worth it.

I’ll have Apple TV courtesy of my new phone for a year. I don’t see myself renewing that one though.
Disney+ is simmering we’ll have for a month or so at least. Maybe more, assuming all the marvel content is actually included.
I have multiple FireTv's from amazon and I haven't had cable for almost 4 years. I don't miss a thing. I know alot of people that have youtube tv to replace cable.

Between reddit and all the streaming sites there is nothing I can't watch.

Add in YouTube TV or something comparable and losing DVR and some channels my wife likes (TLC, etc) and it’s really not gonna be worth it.
YTTV does have a DVR (cloud based) and in my area it does include TLC:
"Add as many programs to your library as you like—YouTube TV includes DVR without storage space limits. You can record any program that airs on YouTube TV. Recording doesn't take up space on your device, but you need to be connected to the internet to view recorded programs."

This is where I’m at right now. Xfinity is charging us $170 month but going only internet is $90 month. Add in YouTube TV or something comparable and losing DVR and some channels my wife likes (TLC, etc) and it’s really not gonna be worth it.

Ewww tapatalk :)

I think this is the case for a lot of people, that were not Satellite users. Because the internet cost in most cases goes up substantially without cable.

We just switched to Spectrum Mobile as a Spectrum internet user (Runs off VZW Towers) and our savings are better now than when we priced out and tried cutting the cord on just about every service out there.

We ditched cable 3 or 4 years ago. We have an antenna that gets all the networks in full HD so network sports are no problem. If you love college sports you probably need either sling blue or sling orange for ESPN or Fox Sports depending on which side of the country you're on. Those are $25/month each or $40/month by themselves. I did have that, but I was watching about 15 games a year and that was it. That's not worth $300 so I just quit. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and I get the PGA Tour. I think the PGA is like $40 or $50 a year. I watched a ton of golf this year because of it so that was well worth it. I basically now watch only the NFL and PGA for sports and honestly haven't missed any of the other stuff. I also watch a lot of movies instead of TV now which I enjoy more and more. I also read a lot more and watch TV less which is good IMO. Watching less TV overall might be the biggest benefit to cutting the cord honestly LOL!

I don't count Netflix and Prine as extra costs because we would still have those if we had cable. I also would still have the PGA so we are saving the full $50-$100 a month.

Ewww tapatalk :)

I think this is the case for a lot of people, that were not Satellite users. Because the internet cost in most cases goes up substantially without cable.

We just switched to Spectrum Mobile as a Spectrum internet user (Runs off VZW Towers) and our savings are better now than when we priced out and tried cutting the cord on just about every service out there.

Exactly. The “triple play” is their best offer but it includes a phone which I don’t even have hooked up. But a la carte is insanely overpriced.

I still think these new tv stream providers will drive down the cost of cable and satellite. They have to be losing customers at a high rate and being competitive will be their only option.

YTTV does have a DVR (cloud based) and in my area it does include TLC:
"Add as many programs to your library as you like—YouTube TV includes DVR without storage space limits. You can record any program that airs on YouTube TV. Recording doesn't take up space on your device, but you need to be connected to the internet to view recorded programs."

I thought I had read that somewhere about the dvr. Thanks for the clarification.

But they don’t have a lot of channels my wife really enjoys, maybe it wasn’t TLC...lol I can’t remember the parent company of the group of networks but when I looked, there were a half dozen channels that YTTV didn’t carry.

Back