Cable companies - Cutting the cord

I have thought about doing that through Xfinity which is already my internet provider. We have no Spectrum here but I think its the basically the same thing. Someone at work has it and says it uses the Verizon network anyways so I need to look into that more actually. Paying $300/mo for 3 phones and an iPad seems ridiculous.

Yeah its the same and does run on Verizon, which is who we had. Not a single difference we have seen other than our bill going from $163 to $90 a month for unlimited on two phones. The no taxes and no fees makes comparing easy. We walked in with our phones (we owned them) and the switch took 10 minutes. Not a single issue since then and it has been 2 months. Im so mad at myself for not doing it sooner.

PlayStation Vue is shutting down, citing rising content costs. I’m not surprised we’re starting to see some of these services going under as the prices have started creeping up and the value isn’t necessarily there vs cable.

I have thought about doing that through Xfinity which is already my internet provider. We have no Spectrum here but I think its the basically the same thing. Someone at work has it and says it uses the Verizon network anyways so I need to look into that more actually. Paying $300/mo for 3 phones and an iPad seems ridiculous.

One thing to consider is, if you’re planning to use unlimited, you might need to add $20/line if you’re in/around a large city.

The prioritization of xfinity lines by Verizon when there’s congestion is...aggressive but the “go HD” option removes that.

The metered plans don’t have it.

Yeah its the same and does run on Verizon, which is who we had. Not a single difference we have seen other than our bill going from $163 to $90 a month for unlimited on two phones. The no taxes and no fees makes comparing easy. We walked in with our phones (we owned them) and the switch took 10 minutes. Not a single issue since then and it has been 2 months. Im so mad at myself for not doing it sooner.

Oh WOW. I might have to find an Xfinity store around here STAT. Have 2 payments left on 2 phones and only like 6 on the last. I carry insurance on my phones because of the kids and I have had like 4 screens replaced haha so thats partially why my bill is so high. Definitely would be nice to be all in one. Do you have to own your phones or do they buy out them like sprint, t-mobile?

One thing to consider is, if you’re planning to use unlimited, you might need to add $20/line if you’re in/around a large city.

The prioritization of xfinity lines by Verizon when there’s congestion is...aggressive but the “go HD” option removes that.

Yeah we do have unlimited, the kids use their phones for everything and its nice because you don't always have to be connected to wifi

We are in a pretty big market and haven't had that issue. Nor in Chicago. But I bet it can happen. The Wifi hotspots that are all around don't hurt either though.

Oh WOW. I might have to find an Xfinity store around here STAT. Have 2 payments left on 2 phones and only like 6 on the last. I carry insurance on my phones because of the kids and I have had like 4 screens replaced haha so thats partially why my bill is so high. Definitely would be nice to be all in one. Do you have to own your phones or do they buy out them like sprint, t-mobile?

Yeah we do have unlimited, the kids use their phones for everything and its nice because you don't always have to be connected to wifi

We have unlimited as well. We didn't add an extra $20 fee though. For us it was a straight $45 per line for unlimited. The only negative I have seen is video is only 480p, but honestly on small devices, I haven't even noticed, and its only when on cell reception, not wifi.

Anyone have experience with FuboTV? Seems like they have a large sports lineup and lots of other entertainment and news channels in their package. The only drawback I saw immediately for me was ABC missing in their local channels...probably not a deal breaker, other than college football games.

EDIT: no ESPN...which makes sense why ABC is missing....damn

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We finally said adios to cable tv a few months ago. We're rolling with Hulu Live and Netflix (and Amazon Prime...I always forget about that) which is still cheaper than what we were paying. We don't miss any of the channels we "lost"

We have Spectrum internet and it's more than fine for our streaming needs -it's just the 2 of us. We have their mobile too which is stupid cheap. We're not heavy data users and pay $28/month for 2 lines w/ 2 GB of shared data between the lines. We've not even come close to using the 2 GB in the 6 months we've been had their service.

Fiber optic (TDS) recently came into our neighborhood and they're offering some pretty great deals, but none are good enough to make us switch.

We are in a pretty big market and haven't had that issue. Nor in Chicago. But I bet it can happen. The Wifi hotspots that are all around don't hurt either though.

We have unlimited as well. We didn't add an extra $20 fee though. For us it was a straight $45 per line for unlimited. The only negative I have seen is video is only 480p, but honestly on small devices, I haven't even noticed, and its only when on cell reception, not wifi.

I don't really notice the 480p issue much - most stuff over cell is being compressed a ton anyway, so the resolution doesn't bother me. And like you said, the wifi hotspots are all around and when you're on them you get full resolution.

I think the congestion issue is going to be in places where there VZW is close to oversubscribed to begin with. For years, they were the only decent carrier up here since a lot of their initial infrastructure was in the Northeast. So we get hit pretty hard. Without the tack on my phone is completely unusable on the subway, and I've even been completely throttled down to close to 0 in a major traffic jam I was in as a passenger. 99% of the time it isn't an issue but just wanted to note it.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Started my trial of YouTube TV and so far I love it. Interface takes some getting used to but for $50/mo, it’s beating my old xfinity bill by a lot.

We signed up for the Disney+ bundle with Hulu and ESPN+ works well for us but we also have an antenna for locals.

Started my trial of YouTube TV and so far I love it. Interface takes some getting used to but for $50/mo, it’s beating my old xfinity bill by a lot.

We were on PSVue for the last two years but they are done at the end of this month so we recently switched to YouTube Tv and are loving it so far. The menu is easy to customize and we like the unlimited recording. One in a while we may need more than 3 simultaneous streams but with Netflix, Apple TV+, and Hulu/Disney that might not even happen. We spend about 50 days at our cabin and another 50 in Florida each year and it's great that we can stream in any location without having to have more than one subscription as we did for many years.

I'm in despair to tell you the truth.
My land line / internet / cable TV bundle is up to three hundred bucks a month.
Now boxing has moved from premium cable to streaming, and the best fighters like Golovkin and Lomachenko are contracted to different streaming services.
I can't buy ALL of them!

What's more, on cable, even if you didn't buy the big pay-per-view fights, they'd be on HBO or Showtime a week later anyway.
Now, you buy them on streaming or don't ever see them at all.

I'm losing my all time favorite sport because of streaming, and I'm upset about it.

If you think that I'm a Luddite over jacked lofts and smart phones, that doesn't begin to approach this.

I'm in despair to tell you the truth.
My land line / internet / cable TV bundle is up to three hundred bucks a month.
Now boxing has moved from premium cable to streaming, and the best fighters like Golovkin and Lomachenko are contracted to different streaming services.
I can't buy ALL of them!

What's more, on cable, even if you didn't buy the big pay-per-view fights, they'd be on HBO or Showtime a week later anyway.
Now, you buy them on streaming or don't ever see them at all.

I'm losing my all time favorite sport because of streaming, and I'm upset about it.

If you think that I'm a Luddite over jacked lofts and smart phones, that doesn't begin to approach this.
Streaming ain't hard to figure out...the interface is really just like cable now.

All you need is good internet speed, pick a provider (YouTube TV, Hulu, etc.), and enjoy.

Streaming ain't hard to figure out...the interface is really just like cable now.

All you need is good internet speed, pick a provider (YouTube TV, Hulu, etc.), and enjoy.

No. You're right. It isn't too hard to figure out.
But there are too many providers to buy them all while still paying for the premium cable channels that I like.
As I mentioned, I'm already paying $300 dollars a month for TV.

But there are too many providers to buy them all while still paying for the premium cable channels that I like.
I've been streaming now for about a year and the change wasn't near as bad as I thought... I had been on cable for 20+ years and always had EVERY channel on cable, so I think we are similar in profile.

Unless you literally watch something on every one of your cable channels now...highly unlikely...you'll find that 1 or 2 streaming providers will have everything you do now - and it'll be close to $100 less than the $300 you'll spend to stay on cable.

I have YouTube TV and Philo, which run like $70-80 combined. All of the major cable channels are on one of these providers. My only other expense is my 500mb internet and it is $70 via Frontier. I was paying close to $200 on cable...so I'm paying less now, but that wasn't my reason for swapping, I was done with having a contract and knowing the price would increase at the end of every contract. Now I control everything and can swap anytime.

Jump in....you'll be glad you did.

Oh yeah...most of the streaming services offer the premium channels too...and if not, you can pick them up individually too.

I've been streaming now for about a year and the change wasn't near as bad as I thought... I had been on cable for 20+ years and always had EVERY channel on cable, so I think we are similar in profile.

Unless you literally watch something on every one of your cable channels now...highly unlikely...you'll find that 1 or 2 streaming providers will have everything you do now - and it'll be close to $100 less than the $300 you'll spend to stay on cable.

I have YouTube TV and Philo, which run like $70-80 combined. All of the major cable channels are on one of these providers. My only other expense is my 500mb internet and it is $70 via Frontier. I was paying close to $200 on cable...so I'm paying less now, but that wasn't my reason for swapping, I was done with having a contract and knowing the price would increase at the end of every contract. Now I control everything and can swap anytime.

Jump in....you'll be glad you did.

Interesting stuff, thanks.
I'll look into it.

Went just internet 2 years ago...Have terrarium and kodi and pull up movies...stream most everything else. Attached an antenna that pulls in 40 channels covering all the major stations and more stuff than I watch. 90% of my viewing is movie and tv streaming of shows not in current season...

Went just internet 2 years ago...Have terrarium and kodi and pull up movies...stream most everything else. Attached an antenna that pulls in 40 channels covering all the major stations and more stuff than I watch. 90% of my viewing is movie and tv streaming of shows not in current season...
I assume you have a VPN too....?

I thought terrarium is gone now too......?

I have what my son loaded up for me to do it...On road for past two weeks. Was using both just prior. watching many recently released movies.

I don't have a tv, got rid my old tv because cable was too expensive. I only have internet and watch what I need online.

THP Represent!
I'm with Hacker-haven't had a tv for 20 years and do not miss it in the least. Plenty of other ways to occupy my time without the brainwashing that goes with it.

well the Vue shut off today for our house. still havent decided on an alternative
I saw that Vue is pushing YouTube TV...which was interesting. I have YTTV now and other than a few lesser used/watched sports channels it's the same.

I saw that Vue is pushing YouTube TV...which was interesting. I have YTTV now and other than a few lesser used/watched sports channels it's the same.

ya big one for us is the live locals and NFL in the fall so might try a few before settling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back