Cable companies - Cutting the cord

Switched from Vue to YTTV, and it is ok. Like 50ish per month+ another 50 for decent internet. So not quite $80 when I started my cord cutting venture, but still a better deal than cable (who is still trying to sell me on bundling a landline) 😄

I am torn on Hulu Live and YouTube TV. Hulu has A&E, but YTTV has Golf Channel. My two favorite channels.

Time to start looking again. Just got an email from Fubo that they're getting rid of the Turner networks as of July 1, you know, today...(TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network/ Adult Swim are my only concerns) and replacing them with some Disney channels, ESPN(that didn't even have sports to show right now) and reinstating FX and FFX... in August. And they're raising the price $10/mo.

Time to start looking again. Just got an email from Fubo that they're getting rid of the Turner networks as of July 1, you know, today...(TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network/ Adult Swim are my only concerns) and replacing them with some Disney channels, ESPN(that didn't even have sports to show right now) and reinstating FX and FFX... in August. And they're raising the price $10/mo.
I just got an email from YouTubeTV that they are adding a few channels that I won’t use and are also raising the price. $20 hike per month in the last year

I just put up a new ota antenna today. I get 38 free hd channels, of which I will probably watch 15-20 of them. I get all the major local channels with it. (abc, cbs, fox, nbc, and a few others)

I haven't used cable, or sat tv for probably 9-10 years.

I also have high speed internet that I run a Roku device on. The Roku has a few free channels, but I use it mostly for my Hulu ($5.99) account. Only complaint I have with Hulu is the amount of commercials they shove down my neck.

Another Roku channel I watch is the free Pluto TV service. They show a lot of older stuff, plus reruns of nfl games, and pga golf.

The biggest reason I keep internet service is for computer work. With ota tv like it is, I could easily do with out the Roku device, and it's channels.

I just got an email from YouTubeTV that they are adding a few channels that I won’t use and are also raising the price. $20 hike per month in the last year

Got that too! A bunch of crappy channels I'll never watch and a 30% price hike in these economic times sucks. I just signed up and was unaware that this is the second price hike by Google in the last 16 months! Obviously this was their strategy all along, convert cable subscribers tired of paying high prices then jack up the prices knowing Americans are lazy and won't switch back to cable!

I am looking at Orby but no ESPN is a deal breaker.

Keys to lowerimg cable bill... Mention cancelling and returning equipment three times and wahhhlaaa discounts! For those like me that are soooo afraid to cut the cord.

Cut the cord. You won't regret it.

What I like about Youtube TV is that you can share it with 5 other people. So, my bill is just over $60 a month, but when I share it with 5 other people, it comes to $10 a person.. Right now I'm sharing it with some of my siblings, and mother and haven't asked for them to "chip in", but when it comes time for Christmas, etc. I'm just going to say, hope you enjoyed watching the MN twins this year!!

What I like about Youtube TV is that you can share it with 5 other people. So, my bill is just over $60 a month, but when I share it with 5 other people, it comes to $10 a person.. Right now I'm sharing it with some of my siblings, and mother and haven't asked for them to "chip in", but when it comes time for Christmas, etc. I'm just going to say, hope you enjoyed watching the MN twins this year!!
I had no idea you were allowed to share it! can you access it on 5 devices only? So if I have two tvs using it, then only 3 others can use it?

I had no idea you were allowed to share it! can you access it on 5 devices only? So if I have two tvs using it, then only 3 others can use it?
Pretty sure 5 TVs can access YouTube at the same time. I share it with my brother and it’s slick.

So, I know I can watch it on at least 2, if not more devices at the same time, as I do this sometimes in regards to watching sports, etc.. However, that is through my account.
Remember, 5 other people can set up their own accounts from me sharing my "google family" with them. So in reality:
me- 2+ devices
Brother- 2+ devices
Sister- 2+ devices
Mother- 2+ devices
Uncle- 2+ devices
Friend- 2+ devices
=
12+ devices at the same time.

It's a great deal, plus there is unlimited DVR space, and it holds it for a year.

Being an AT&T employee has it's advantages. I get 240 channel DirecTV with sunday ticket for $10 month, the neighborhood we moved into 4 months ago has fiber, I get gig internet and a voip line for $35. So I have no plans to cut cords anytime soon.

Being an AT&T employee has it's advantages. I get 240 channel DirecTV with sunday ticket for $10 month, the neighborhood we moved into 4 months ago has fiber, I get gig internet and a voip line for $35. So I have no plans to cut cords anytime soon.
I'm so jealous of this. I couldn't get the fiber, a gig of internet or the voip even if I was willing to pay double.

I honestly waste what little time I have on here. Probably too much. :ROFLMAO:
Cable lost me years ago, save for golf channel.
Even that was not enough to continue... (y)

After watching my Cox bill climb $150/month post-service agreement, I called to try and lower the price. I'm now a cable cutter as well - - since they had little to no interest in keeping me as a TV customer, I showed little to no interest in keeping their service. I even dropped Gigablast Internet and went with the next service level down: I never came close to giga speed anyway. For now, I plan on getting Peacock Premium Plus, HBO Max, and the Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle, which along with my current Netflix, Prime, and Apple TV should give me enough to watch. I'll miss Music Choice and a few channels from Cox, but I won't miss the enormous cable bill. I might even get a HD antenna for local stuff.

My bill actually goes up $5/mo if I cut cable out.. stupid comcast. But will explore YTTV. Pretty sure its a native app on my new TV, but wife will only be watching bachelor/-ette and housewives, which she can watch on the apps on our other TV

Still $76/mo for 100/100 is pretty sucky imo

I finally cut the cord on my Directv and it will expire towards the end of the month. Looking at options now.

Hulu live went up 10$ and now may be more cost effective to go back to comcast as a new customer. Haven't had 'cable' in years but like live tv. Playstation vue was the best, just never got the subscription count up and folded.

I finally cut the cord on my Directv and it will expire towards the end of the month. Looking at options now.
I have loved YouTube TV but they cut the Fox Regional sports that carried the Twins Wild and TWolves. I don’t really care about the wolves but the other two I do. I will check out AT&T now for free when the NHL season starts back up.

I've really gotta do something. WE kept Hulu Live just because we could bundle ESPN and Disney + with it. But then we also have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

It's cheaper for me to just go back to Cable at this point.

Some good options out there and it really depends on what you are used to watching. I still have DTV, but we have a Hulu bundle (espn and disney +) along with Amazon Prime. those two seem to cover all that we need content wise. We still keep satellite for some other programming, but have reduced our package and receive bill credits to have it make sense.

It's annoying that each of the streaming services have one or more channels or shows that I would like to watch but paying for more than one service is like having cable all over again, not to mention that every channel group is now trying to cash in on the streaming money.

Not sure how many other people actively watch their local sports teams on one of the Fox Sports channels. Now that they are owned by Sinclair most cord cutting streaming services have lost access to them. I have ATTNow streaming and have had it for a few years now and this is the only local service that still carries it. If I were to have YTTV or Hulu or any other service I would be unable to watch the Reds, Indians, Blue Jackets, Cavaliers, etc.

The only other option is the plug the cord back in. I know lots of other cities have their pro sports carried on these Fox Sports channels. If I were to lose access I would certainly consider going back to regular cable.

Back