Cable Modem/Router suggestions

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It looks like I need to replace our Cox cable modem. I want to get a modem and router combo to replace it. It has been a while since I have really done much with routers, modems or computers in general so my knowledge just isn't what it once was so I am looking for recommendations. We typically don't do much streaming, but that is going to be changing next month as we are cutting cord and probably going Hulu so we need a router than can keep up with that, a couple phones, a couple tablets as well as a couple Alexa devices. And I would love to get a lot of bang for my buck, but don't want to skimp so if y'all can give me some guidance I would appreciate it greatly.

I'd get a modem and a separate router - usually the built in routers aren't as good as one you could buy separately, and the cost is often more than buying a modem and a decent router separately.

I'm with mpeterson. From what I have heard the combo's aren't as good as the separate units, why, IDK. FWIW, I have a Cisco modem and a Linksys EA7500 router. I have no problems reaching anywhere in the house and just outside our house. BTW, the router has a setting where you can set it for 2.5 ghz, or 5.0 ghz.

Docsis 3.1 is the latest standard for cable modems. You will save money with a Docsis 3.0 modem/router, just be sure to get the most channels (16x4, 24x8, etc) you are willing to spend. More channels allow for more throughput.

I have never bought a combo cable modem/router, since, I like the option of upgrading one without upgrading the other, so, I am not going to recommend one. I am getting by with a Netgear Docsis 3.1 cable modem,Asus AC1900 router, Netgear wireless router connected via a powerline ethernet. When I upgrade my network, I will be looking at a mesh wifi setup. (ie, replace the Netgear with Asus mesh capable router).

If you are a Costco member, they have the Netgear Docsis 3.1 cable modem on sale, and, several mesh network setups.

I did considering replacing just the modem as I think the router is still good. I also considering renting one. That way I have the latest tech and if it goes bad it is easier to replace.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I agree, a separate modem and router usually works best.
If you can swing the budget, the Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream™ AC5400 is a helluva wireless router.
The tri-band tech should really help the whole home network experience.

From Linksys....

"The MAX-STREAM AC5400 offers three independent WiFi bands that deliver extremely fast combined speeds of up to 5.3 Gbps.* Tri-Band technology delivers up to double the Wireless-AC performance of a dual-band router.
High-bandwidth applications like videoconferencing and movie streaming are ideal for the two high-speed 5 GHz bands, while lower-bandwidth devices like older wireless-N and -G computers can utilize the 2.4 GHz band."

you are staying with Cox as the internet provider? What speed? They have suggested modems and you could future proof yourself with a Docsis 3.1 modem like an Arris/Motorola SB200:

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/arris-sb8200.html

You can buy it on Amzn for $170

As far as routers, get something like an ASUS RT-AC86U for another $179 and you would be set for 7+years. If you have some humongous 5,000 square foot house and basements, etc you might want to get a expander or 2 or go the "mesh" route with better coverage.

I just purchased a Netgear AC1900 DOCSIS 3.1 modem/router and thus far have been happy.

I have an Arris surfboard 6190 32 X 8 modem connected to Netgear Orbi Ac3000 mesh router which has been amazing for coverage a large home that no other router/satellite combo that I tried could cover without having some dead spots.

My Orbi has a base and 2 satellites and was $400 when I bought it but they have a Orbi 2 pack available now at Costco for $149. For $250 all in you’d have a great mesh network that can handle 500gb speeds easily.

Some say no router you can buy at, say, Best Buy is sufficiently secure. But even some of those people say by taking common sense steps, you can make your network safer than 99% of tthose out there. Things like changing from the factory default user name and password for the router. Using robust passwords for your network. Not making your network name easy to ID, like "Apartment 5G" or "Jonesnet" or especially
"Linksys". Putting all of your smart devices on a guest network instead of the same one as your data.

If you decide to go mesh, I've read that the Netgear Orbi is the best performing because it has a dedicated backchannel for data transfer from the satellites back to the base, making the overall network faster.

When my current riouter dies, I will probably get something like the Synology RT2600ac, which is high performing and considered to be highly secure. It also has a companion mesh unit, the Synology Mesh Router RT2200ac.

Last edited:
not sure if this is the right thread, but i’m ignorant about these things and would love some insight from the tech nerds around here.

we have a standard arris something-or-other combo modem/router issued by spectrum. we have a small house. over the past 6-9 months we have been having trouble streaming netflix and hulu on our blu-ray player. we bought a new player with streaming because the existing was several years old, but it didn’t get better.

i moved the arris closer for clearer line of sight, and no improvement. called spectrum, and they said everything is fine on their end.

any thoughts what i should do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin, it sounds like we had a similar issue. Cox communications said everything was fine on their end, but on my end it was horrible. My service was going in and out constantly. I had a lot of great input and advice in this thread so I am sure you will get some of the same. I will tell you that I have temporarily rented a combo modem/router from Cox until I can really afford to do the upgrades I want. And to my surprise it is working really well. It is still early and we haven't started doing much streaming as yet, but if it continues to perform in the manner in which it is now we probably will purchase something similar..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

not sure if this is the right thread, but i’m ignorant about these things and would love some insight from the tech nerds around here.

we have a standard arris something-or-other combo modem/router issued by spectrum. we have a small house. over the past 6-9 months we have been having trouble streaming netflix and hulu on our blu-ray player. we bought a new player with streaming because the existing was several years old, but it didn’t get better.

i moved the arris closer for clearer line of sight, and no improvement. called spectrum, and they said everything is fine on their end.

I am guessing you are attempting to stream over a wireless connection. If you are, switching to a wired connection (powerline ethernet) should help. Wireless is a shared media, and, your wireless connection(especially 2.4g) will only work as well as your connection. The short answer is it might be interference from your neighbors wireless network.

If you are streaming wireless then that might be your issue. Also what’s your internet speed? That might play into the issue also.

Wireless streaming will pick up interference from other networks and/or devices.

Where you can connect via the Ethernet cable and it should improve

I am guessing you are attempting to stream over a wireless connection. If you are, switching to a wired connection (powerline ethernet) should help. Wireless is a shared media, and, your wireless connection(especially 2.4g) will only work as well as your connection. The short answer is it might be interference from your neighbors wireless network.

The 2.4 GHZ band may be part of the problem.Do you have the option of swiitching to 5 GHz to see what happens? Do you use a lot of Bluetooth? That is a 2.4 GHZ connection IIRC. MIcrowave ovens can mess up 2.4 GHz locally in a big way. To belllken's point, you may be having interference from other networks, so you could try putting your network on a dfifferent channel.

If you are streaming wireless then that might be your issue. Also what’s your internet speed? That might play into the issue also.

Wireless streaming will pick up interference from other networks and/or devices.

Where you can connect via the Ethernet cable and it should improve

i’ll see about the wired. speed is 240mbps (i think)

The 2.4 GHZ band may be part of the problem.Do you have the option of swiitching to 5 GHz to see what happens? Do you use a lot of Bluetooth? That is a 2.4 GHZ connection IIRC. MIcrowave ovens can mess up 2.4 GHz locally in a big way. To belllken's point, you may be having interference from other networks, so you could try putting your network on a dfifferent channel.

i don’t know how to do any of these things lol

Bellken giving some solid advice here. Just wanted to throw in a recommendation for my setup: Asus rt-ac68u router with a motorola mb8600 Docsis 3.1 modem. My wife and I do a ton of streaming and this pairing has worked out way better than any combo modem/router I've ever tried. I get a clean signal from the attic to the basement.

i don’t know how to do any of these things lol

Gotcha. That's why you and I pay confiscatory fees to Spectrum. I see you have their router, so I would call tech support and tell them what you've told us. Explain that you think you may have intereference and you need someone to walk you through how to change channels on your router. For as much as I dislike Spectrum, their internet tech support is pretty decent. If you don't get any results initially, ask to escalate your case. Those guys are very good.

Bellken giving some solid advice here. Just wanted to throw in a recommendation for my setup: Asus rt-ac68u router with a motorola mb8600 Docsis 3.1 modem. My wife and I do a ton of streaming and this pairing has worked out way better than any combo modem/router I've ever tried. I get a clean signal from the attic to the basement.

I've had success with Asus routers as well, and if you're a little bit technical, the Merlin third-party firmware is a huge upgrade over what Asus provides.

Gotcha. That's why you and I pay confiscatory fees to Spectrum. I see you have their router, so I would call tech support and tell them what you've told us. Explain that you think you may have intereference and you need someone to walk you through how to change channels on your router. For as much as I dislike Spectrum, their internet tech support is pretty decent. If you don't get any results initially, ask to escalate your case. Those guys are very good.

that’s what i did yesterday. they remoted in and said everything was fine *shrug*

that’s what i did yesterday. they remoted in and said everything was fine *shrug*

I would escalate and see what that rep says.

I went the budget route and picked up this combo for Comcast service 100mbps based on suggestion from a blog of someone who's Comcast customer, and the reviews

Haven't hooked up the upstairs tv yet but I'll do that later and test the speed
8640856ad0f9f8f54f96cf537688d658.jpg
151a345ddf4ab9aea59cbe2a0b8e1361.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back