Caddie vs. No Caddie

Bosco...

JB Cobb III told me to do it.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12’ish
If the tour pros had to carry their bag, read putts, and get yardage themselves….how much do you think it would affect their scores?

I’m gonna say at least 1 stroke a round.

Whatcha think?

I think this has been done before. Not sure how to find it. I think it could cost some guys a stroke a round but many I think it might not be a stroke over the tournament.

Maybe some bag fatigue will affect legs on Augusta like terrain but not reading putts or yardages in general. They'll suss out what they need in a practice round, maybe go fewer clubs in bag, lighter bag. Would be interesting for sure.

I have thought about this for a long time. The PGA Tour should have one tournament where the pros play without caddies and either carry their bags or use a push cart. Also, one tournament where they have to play on punched aerated greens and rock hard bunkers with no sand. 😂

5 shots .
They have carry bag in , practice and potentially 4 rounds

They have no one to tell them how good they are or reinforce the line they think the ball will be on as they putt / take shot

No green books

And no one to repair/ rake bunkers

That mental side is far bigger , when it’s down to individual the doubt creeps ,, particularly on those who are less able to isolate from it

Weather conditions , PGA rarely plays in adverse weather it’s always , moderate windless sunny etc with the odd exception ….. LPGA played in 90% humidity and 34 deg c last week for example

Lots of energy used

Be very interesting and by my thoughts far more variance

I have thought about this for a long time. The PGA Tour should have one tournament where the pros play without caddies and either carry their bags or use a push cart. Also, one tournament where they have to play on punched aerated greens and rock hard bunkers with no sand. 😂
I want one of these televised golf events to be at some bunkass muni :LOL:

Be interesting to see how they’d do against some of the NCAA kids.

I think it would cost them 4-6 strokes a tournament. Between fatigue over 4 rounds carrying that tour bag and not being able to converse with someone to talk through shots or lines or green reads I think it could be fairly significant.

2-4 strokes. These guys would struggle carrying their bags.

Be interesting to see how they’d do against some of the NCAA kids.
I think they'd kill the NCAA kids! After all, these guys were "NCAA kids" at some point, so they know the drill. And NCAA kids are allowed to use a caddie if they wish and have one available.

I played the best golf of my life walking and carrying. I was young and strong back then. Played the tips and shot around and under par most times. I figure that I was around scratch, although I didn't have an official handicap. I wasn't concerned with statistics back then and still am not. I just wanted to go play. My Uncle, who was my main instructore told me that if I was playing well that I should go play. If I started playing poorly it was time to hit the range and do some work.

My younger Brother on said much the same, but it seemed like he was feeling sorry for the caddies. I asked him if he had any idea what they made! Many of them have done damn well for themselves.

I think a shot or 2 per round. Bag fatigue and just not having everything at the ready 💯 of the time might cause them to not switch a glove right away if needed etc.

Doesn’t Lee Westwood do list of this, with his girlfriend on the bag. He’s doing everything except carrying the bag and raking bunkers, but I don’t think she’s reading greens, giving yardage or recommending clubs. I think he’s had a few decent finishes with her on the bag.

Doesn’t Lee Westwood do list of this, with his girlfriend on the bag. He’s doing everything except carrying the bag and raking bunkers, but I don’t think she’s reading greens, giving yardage or recommending clubs. I think he’s had a few decent finishes with her on the bag.
Stricker’s wife carried often too

I was just gonna say Stricker. Doesn’t seem as “intense” on the Champions Tour. There’s no way I could ask my wife to carry a bag though. I’d feel horrible.

Now my kids would be a different story. I’d have my lucky cinderblock in the bag. 🤣

Some rounds nothing, some rounds as much as 2 shots.

If the tour pros had to carry their bag, read putts, and get yardage themselves….how much do you think it would affect their scores?

Whatcha think?
Some more than others is my guess. The Fatter more out of shape guys would either adapt or fall off.
I would be much more inclined to call pro golfers "Athletes" if they carried their own bags.

You would see far less Tour bags that is for sure!
Maybe 1-3 strokes a round depending on conditions.

Whatcha think?
My home club has caddies. A good caddie 3ish strokes, and a bad caddy can easily cost you a few.

3 strokes. I think the extra weight being carried, and the extra strain, would be enough to knock them around 3 shots off their game. Make them carry the loaded staffer, see how they fare!

I was just gonna say Stricker. Doesn’t seem as “intense” on the Champions Tour. There’s no way I could ask my wife to carry a bag though. I’d feel horrible.

Now my kids would be a different story. I’d have my lucky cinderblock in the bag. 🤣

I thought I remember Stewart Cink having his son caddie for him, amd winning a tournament too (I could be wrong, just going off of memory).

I thought I remember Stewart Cink having his son caddie for him, amd winning a tournament too (I could be wrong, just going off of memory).

Definitely seems like those guys have fun.

I think that for some (Older) it would be the Physical toll more than the actual caddy advice that would cost guys strokes.
We have seen guy with their kid/wife/buddy on the bag and play well. A hot 85* round of golf carrying a bag would take it's toll.

The Younger guys might miss their caddy/psychotherapist more and less of a physical toll.

Back