Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

Yep. Combo sets have all the finish matching.

Well f me. Learn something new every day. I would have played them forever and never even thought about it unless someone mentioned mine looked different than theirs. lol And I have other apex pro 19s, so I just figured that's how they all were.

Back on topic - I played the combo set today in 38 degree weather. I know that's not a common thing, but the difference in feel between the two is definitely amplified in the cold. I'm not completely giving up on the combo, but my hands definitely have a pro preference. I think I might bring a whole set of regular apex to Vegas so I can get used to that/them a little more.

I’m a broken record with these. I played today and these saved me again. Distance and forgiveness on mishits is downright silly. I did manage to put a hit a few good shots today & paired with the Elevate Tours the ball gets up to a nice height and the ball falls out for he sky. When struck well, the descent angle is great and gives me the confidence to attack pins.

Really enjoyed my round with these again. From wedge to 7i. I didn't hit 6i once and only used 5i on a low shot to get under a tree and back into the fairway.

First Par 3 was 175 and I hit it a little fat and still reached the green with a 7i. As soon as I hit it I just said "F-ck" thinking I'd be well short but to my surprise I still had a birdie putt.

I unfortunately couldn't get the right club selection in the wind with AW.PW,9i, and 8i a few times during the round on approaches. I was factoring in the wind more than I should've whether it was headwind or tailwind. Not at all disappointed about the strikes, but leaving myself 25+ footers for birdie isn't exactly ideal. Gotta trust the club more than be wary of the wind.

I couldn’t resist the CPO Black Friday sale, picked up Apex 4-AW w/ the elevate 95’s..I have 5 rounds on them. To say I’m happy with them is an understatement!! Easy to hit, forgiving and a little longer than the cf-16s..

Can’t quite keep my swing together for a full 18 holes yet but the potential is there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t resist the CPO Black Friday sale, picked up Apex 4-AW w/ the elevate 95’s..I have 5 rounds on them. To say I’m happy with them is an understatement!! Easy to hit, forgiving and a little longer than the cf-16s..

Can’t quite keep my swing together for a full 18 holes yet but the potential is there..

Do you think they are more forgiving than the CF16's? I'm always eyeing the CPO site for a lefty set with Catalyst 80's.

Do you think they are more forgiving than the CF16's? I'm always eyeing the CPO site for a lefty set with Catalyst 80's.

So far I think they are more forgiving.. I have hit a few(many) less than perfect that are still getting there.

@pudge love that avatar!! old school cartoon.

Carry on peeps.

A guy at our club has a set of Apex 19, basically my set-up as I play, asked if I could play a round with them. Hit the ball OK, just didn't do anything for me as to why I should buy these over the CF16. I still feel and think the CF16 felt better and had a little more forgiveness than the Apex 19. Satisfied my curiosity.

A guy at our club has a set of Apex 19, basically my set-up as I play, asked if I could play a round with them. Hit the ball OK, just didn't do anything for me as to why I should buy these over the CF16. I still feel and think the CF16 felt better and had a little more forgiveness than the Apex 19. Satisfied my curiosity.

I owned two different sets of the cf19s and went back to my cf16s.

I am excited to try my CPO Apex Smoke combo with Catalyst 100 shafts tomorrow; my only concern is they are 1/2” longer than standard. I don’t love the GP MCC Align grips but I’m open minded about them. The price was just too good to pass up.

@Kenomikes - Yes. I think they are more forgiving too. By a decent margin. I actually agree with the latter part of @buckeyewalt 's statement though. I think that extra forgiveness comes at the expense of feel. I prefer the feel of my CF16's compared to my 19's. I'd think it's just me (I am known to like C-Tapers after all), but one of my good buddies agreed without being asked. To me it seems like from the 16's to the 19's they went more pro with the pros (bad description, but I like the pro 19s), and maybe more towards the masses with the CF. Just my take though.

Does anyone have the forged with the Catalyst 60 5.5 in them?

@kappa1032 I read in a shaft review the Catalyst 60 5.5 plays like the Recoil 660 F3 and 760 ES. I had the 660 in my cf16's so I just ordered a 5-AW with the 60 5.5's in like new for $750 on CPO. I'm a little leery though, not having tried the shaft before. Have you ever hit the Recoils?
Would you mind telling me what your 150 club is?
Thanks.

I am excited to try my CPO Apex Smoke combo with Catalyst 100 shafts tomorrow; my only concern is they are 1/2” longer than standard. I don’t love the GP MCC Align grips but I’m open minded about them. The price was just too good to pass up.
Initial outing was less than stellar. Probably mostly my fault with poor ball striking but the extra 1/2” and mid size grips are at least partly to blame. I need to get to a range and try to make a decision or perhaps just get them cut down and get some different grips. Might need to find the best inexpensive grips for this experiment. Haha.

I think the shafts felt good. The pro irons were going too high which surprised me. More time with then is needed.

Well hi... I've been naughty. ?

Had one of the better rounds with my irons that I've ever had today. 9/9 GIR on the front (4/9 on the back).
The Pros continue to be powerful, beautiful, and wonderful.

Initial outing was less than stellar. Probably mostly my fault with poor ball striking but the extra 1/2” and mid size grips are at least partly to blame. I need to get to a range and try to make a decision or perhaps just get them cut down and get some different grips. Might need to find the best inexpensive grips for this experiment. Haha.

I think the shafts felt good. The pro irons were going too high which surprised me. More time with then is needed.

I could do either one on their own fairly well, I think. Both a 1/2" long AND the wrong size grips, and it's an ugly fight out there for me. So I don't doubt that played a part. When I first got my set I took them out quick with the real light, real stiff shafts, and bulky grips they had just to get a 'feel' for them. They were 1/2" long too, so I thought choking down would solve those issues and it'd be fine. Huge mistake. Worthless reps. Wish I'd never done it.

Edit: I just reread your original post, and take back part of what I said. I could not play them well with the right length shafts and the wrong size ALIGN grips. I would want to throw them in the trash. Cannot stand those grips, much less in the wrong size.

I could do either one on their own fairly well, I think. Both a 1/2" long AND the wrong size grips, and it's an ugly fight out there for me. So I don't doubt that played a part. When I first got my set I took them out quick with the real light, real stiff shafts, and bulky grips they had just to get a 'feel' for them. They were 1/2" long too, so I thought choking down would solve those issues and it'd be fine. Huge mistake. Worthless reps. Wish I'd never done it.

Edit: I just reread your original post, and take back part of what I said. I could not play them well with the right length shafts and the wrong size ALIGN grips. I would want to throw them in the trash. Cannot stand those grips, much less in the wrong size.
I agree on the awful align grips. It blows my mind how some people can just incorporate those into their game.

Well hi... I've been naughty. ?

In a classic case of doing things impulsively and backward, I late-night dialed a set of Smoke Pro 5-PW with Catalyst 100 from CPO. One of those latent, unplanned but seems like a fantastic idea when the right set shows up on CPO type purchases. The thought is to give them a run against Ben Hogan PTx Pro with Recoils, to further my experience and tinkers with graphite iron shafts.

Now, they have not arrived yet, so I stopped by the golf store today and put together an Apex Pro with Catalyst 100 7i to hit. I chose their floor model Z-Forged 7i, which is identical to my gamer set from last season with Modus 120, as a comparison. Here is what happened after 10 good shots and 3 throwaways with each:

IMG_5591.jpg

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5589.jpg

I battled myself to a draw. Now what? I will add my PTx Pro is in the mix also @ ~175 carry and higher spin, about 6500rpm. And, my Apex MB are @ 175 & 6000ish, near identical to both Z-Forged and Apex Pro. As sweet as these may be, I am honestly thinking about sending them right back to Callaway, as I am not sure they are offering me anything not already in the arsenal. Feel and looks are lovely, but so too with Srixon and Ben Hogan. What would you do?

A successful outcome if nothing else, is that I seem to get on fairly well with Catalyst 100. File that away under lighter shaft experiments. Maybe I'll send these back and put a set of Catalyst 100 in my Apex MB :unsure:

Back