Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

Yes I am surprised myself how well these irons go!
Really glad I decided to spend the extra money to get Apex. Figured I could work my into hitting them well. It didn’t take long.

So I’m tempted to buy a set of Apex19’s on CPO then go to club champion for appropriate sizing. I have the Rogues and have have really struggled with them this past year. Recently I went to drop my garbage off at the dump and and saw some old Apex 2 Ben Hogan blades there. Since I’ve never swung a blade I grabbed them to see how hard they are to hit. They were so small behind the ball. I grabbed a few old balls and ....Wow! Perfect feel, perfect flight hitting the ball right in the center. I liked that I could feel the head throughout my swing. I tried my Rogues again and crap. Now the Rogues look so huge behind the ball. I went to the local Dicks to smash a few Apex 19’s and it was love. Again, perfect strikes and it all looked good on the screen and I had perfect center hits. So then I grabbed a few Rogues to see if it was a fluke and I was back to crap with something that now looked like a shovel. I Put the Rogue down and picked up the Apex again and perfect everything.... I definitely like the look behind the ball with a smaller head and the feel is great. I guess I gotta go get some Apex. The guy at Dicks suggested I get a half inch longer and maybe up right. I definitely want to get over to Club Champion and get sized the right way from a real fitter. I’m 6’4” and most likely need a longer shaft and some other adjustments.

Last edited:
So tempted to buy a set of Apex19’s on CPO and then go to club champion for appropriate sizing. I have the rogues and have kind of struggled with them. I went to drop my garbage off at the dump and there was a few old Apex 2 Ben hogan blades there. So I grabbed them and tried them out. So small behind the ball. Wow! Perfect feel, perfect flight hitting the ball right in the center. I tried my Rogues again and crap. Now they look so huge behind the ball. So then I went to the local Dicks to smash a few Apex 19’s and it was love again perfect strikes and it all looked good on the screen and I had perfect center hits. So then I grabbed a few Rogues to to see if it was a fluke and back to crap. Pick up Apex and great.... I definitely like the look behind the ball with a smaller head and the feel. I guess I gotta get some apex. The guy at Dicks suggested I get a half inch longer and maybe up right but I want to go to Club Champion for a real sizing. I
6’4” and most likely need a longer shaft.
So I had a set of Epic Forged Irons that I hit ok and then when I hit @JMB3 Apex 19's, I knew that I wasn't in the right clubs.
I did a fitting at CC and I confirmed that was the case - Worked out a deal with CPO and got the Apex 19's
Why not get the fitting first? Tell the fitter what you want to start with, your paying him for his time.
CPO is always running sales and you have a 15 day price guarantee that if the price drops, they will credit you the difference. It works, I've used it - No hassles.

I thinking get the clubs first limits you. Be 100%
Besides, once you get fit at CC and you decided to buy from CPO, you can take them back to CC to confirm the lofts and lies.
If you need them longer, you can have CC do the work as well. They are not that expensive in doing repairs.

What I'm saying is "Create a Partnership" with CC. Read the recent reviews of the fittings done there.
That's really what CC is trying to do. So maybe you don't buy this time but maybe you'll buy something next time.

My 2 cents.....

Thanks Iceman! It’s nice to get someone else’s perspective before jumping in.

So I’m tempted to buy a set of Apex19’s on CPO then go to club champion for appropriate sizing. I have the Rogues and have have really struggled with them this past year. Recently I went to drop my garbage off at the dump and and saw some old Apex 2 Ben Hogan blades there. Since I’ve never swung a blade I grabbed them to see how hard they are to hit. They were so small behind the ball. I grabbed a few old balls and ....Wow! Perfect feel, perfect flight hitting the ball right in the center. I liked that I could feel the head throughout my swing. I tried my Rogues again and crap. Now the Rogues look so huge behind the ball. I went to the local Dicks to smash a few Apex 19’s and it was love. Again, perfect strikes and it all looked good on the screen and I had perfect center hits. So then I grabbed a few Rogues to see if it was a fluke and I was back to crap with something that now looked like a shovel. I Put the Rogue down and picked up the Apex again and perfect everything.... I definitely like the look behind the ball with a smaller head and the feel is great. I guess I gotta go get some Apex. The guy at Dicks suggested I get a half inch longer and maybe up right. I definitely want to get over to Club Champion and get sized the right way from a real fitter. I’m 6’4” and most likely need a longer shaft and some other adjustments.

I went from playing the Rogues to standard Apex last Oct or so. The Apex are a universe better for me. I'm also 6'4" and just have standard length. The Apex are at least a club longer and just feel better than the Rogues. Peak height, shorter clubs into greens, controlled spin and tighter dispersion are all things that have me looking for reasons to hit them.

Also the long irons, 4 and 5, are so easy to hit that my hybrids have been stuck in the closet for a while now. Never thought I'd have a bag with out at least one hybrid.

I went from playing the Rogues to standard Apex last Oct or so. The Apex are a universe better for me. I'm also 6'4" and just have standard length. The Apex are at least a club longer and just feel better than the Rogues. Peak height, shorter clubs into greens, controlled spin and tighter dispersion are all things that have me looking for reasons to hit them.

Also the long irons, 4 and 5, are so easy to hit that my hybrids have been stuck in the closet for a while now. Never thought I'd have a bag with out at least one hybrid.
Are you playing standard lie or more upright?

Are you playing standard lie or more upright?
Standard lie. I was fit for irons about 2 years ago and it was recommended to be 1/2" over and standard lie. I bought the apex with the ide of getting them lengthened but after playing them a few rounds I found no real reason to.

I will say I hit them with the stock steel and stock graphite and wasnt a fan. After finding a tester with my preferred recoils they came to life and cant see them leaving my bag anytime soon. My local course got the Mavriks in the other day and called me right away to let me know, knowing how much of a club ***** I am, and they were in shock when I told them I'm not in the market for new irons.

So have CF16s and wanted to try the CF19. Found a 7i on CPO with same shaft as my current. Not the strongest numbers today by far as first day swinging in 2 months. But loved the feel on the CF19. Great club. Again not the strongest numbers but were a little better for sure. Going to play on Monday and putting the CF19 7i in the bag. Now need to have CPO have entire set with KBS c-taper lites on sale. ??

Attachments

• D46245F2-D415-47A0-AA6E-58936D37C46D.png
    D46245F2-D415-47A0-AA6E-58936D37C46D.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 28
I am so close to pulling the trigger on a set of "Like New" Apex 19s on CPO, right now. They're willing to give me $210.00 trade in on my original Apex irons (I paid $320.00 for the set brand new a little over two years ago). Trade in brings the price down to $796.00 for a 4-PW, AW, SW. Ugh, I swore I wouldn't buy another set of irons without getting fitted first but dammit this is really hard to pass up.

I also had and experience similar to @GraniteRoost with a "Like New" wedge from CPO. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite the "like new" clubs I've gotten from them before. I got a good price on it and I'm happy with the wedge but I AM a little leary of what will show up. To add, if I trade my clubs in and I'm not happy with the condition of the clubs they send, I'm stuck with $210.00 of credit and no irons. :unsure:

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a set of "Like New" Apex 19s on CPO, right now. They're willing to give me $210.00 trade in on my original Apex irons (I paid $320.00 for the set brand new a little over two years ago). Trade in brings the price down to $796.00 for a 4-PW, AW, SW. Ugh, I swore I wouldn't buy another set of irons without getting fitted first but dammit this is really hard to pass up.

I also had and experience similar to @GraniteRoost with a "Like New" wedge from CPO. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite the "like new" clubs I've gotten from them before. I got a good price on it and I'm happy with the wedge but I AM a little leary of what will show up. To add, if I trade my clubs in and I'm not happy with the condition of the clubs they send, I'm stuck with $210.00 of credit and no irons. :unsure:

Is there a specific shaft or lie on that particular set you're after or something? Because you can get a set of hardly used 19s for less than that after trade price on eBay. Plenty to choose from. No offense to CPO or anything, but I got mine for way less than that last fall, and they were basically untouched.

Also, and this is just me, but I'd take a decently long look at the SW. I'm a set AW guy if they're good, but I use it for mostly (near) full shots. A SW tends to require a bit more versatility than some set ones provide. The Apex 19 is pretty compact, but if I recall plays somewhere in a mid bounce range with the equivalent of a seriously full grind. Just keep that in mind.

Is there a specific shaft or lie on that particular set you're after or something? Because you can get a set of hardly used 19s for less than that after trade price on eBay. Plenty to choose from. No offense to CPO or anything, but I got mine for way less than that last fall, and they were basically untouched.

Also, and this is just me, but I'd take a decently long look at the SW. I'm a set AW guy if they're good, but I use it for mostly (near) full shots. A SW tends to require a bit more versatility than some set ones provide. The Apex 19 is pretty compact, but if I recall plays somewhere in a mid bounce range with the equivalent of a seriously full grind. Just keep that in mind.
Thanks for the heads up and I'll give ebay another look. To be honest, I would probably end up selling the AW and the SW. I'm pretty in love with my CBX wedges. It just so happens that it's the only "like new" set on CPO in regular flex that has a 4i in the set (something I refuse to give up in my bag because it's such a solid option off the tee for me when the driver misbehaves). As a lefty, my options are limited unfortunately. :confused:

To top it off, I'm not 100% certain that I should be in a regular flex. I'm almost certain that I should but without actually comparing my numbers between an R-flex and an S-Flex I can't be 100% sure. Thus my dilemma about not being fitted for them first. First world problems, I suppose.

Thanks for the heads up and I'll give ebay another look. To be honest, I would probably end up selling the AW and the SW. I'm pretty in love with my CBX wedges. It just so happens that it's the only "like new" set on CPO in regular flex that has a 4i in the set (something I refuse to give up in my bag because it's such a solid option off the tee for me when the driver misbehaves). As a lefty, my options are limited unfortunately. :confused:

To top it off, I'm not 100% certain that I should be in a regular flex. I'm almost certain that I should but without actually comparing my numbers between an R-flex and an S-Flex I can't be 100% sure. Thus my dilemma about not being fitted for them first. First world problems, I suppose.

Shoot. If I knew you're a lefty I forgot. That probably does thin out the options. That's awesome on the CBXs though. I actually really like the apex AW in both the 19 and pro 19, but it's just such a personal thing, and the SW sole gets pretty wide.

Have you tried one of the online fitting questionaires from one of the makers? They're generic, some are better than others, and they can definitely be wrong, but it could give you a nudge in the right direction. I play a lot of KBSs and there's is actually pretty good at fitting me. Not that I always want to admit it.

A few:

KBS

TT

UST

I have been hitting only indoors since returning from the Grandaddy and using these irons off of a mat just do not do them justice. Feeling the
club slice through the turf with a nice divot and the buttery soft feeling of a flushed shot is a wonderful thing.

I'm a lefty and I see the set on CPO you're eying. My thoughts would be to wait until you get yourself to a store that has the Callaway fitting cart and they all have the lefty shaft options on the CF19. PGASS, Dick's, Worldwide all have it because I've done it at all three in LH.

Plus I also don't think you need that SW to keep the price down a bit. Of course now you just have to keep an eye open on CPO for the set you need but eventually it'll be there.

Don't worry about me, my eye has been on a LH 5-AW in Catalyst 80 stiff. :)

I'm a lefty and I see the set on CPO you're eying. My thoughts would be to wait until you get yourself to a store that has the Callaway fitting cart and they all have the lefty shaft options on the CF19. PGASS, Dick's, Worldwide all have it because I've done it at all three in LH.

Plus I also don't think you need that SW to keep the price down a bit. Of course now you just have to keep an eye open on CPO for the set you need but eventually it'll be there.

Don't worry about me, my eye has been on a LH 5-AW in Catalyst 80 stiff. :)
I'm actually waiting to hear back from CPO for a set that they have on ebay. I'm hoping they'll give me the trade in value of my Apex that they've quoted me on the original CPO site. If they do, it will bring the cost down to around $450.00. At that rate, I feel comfortable taking them in somewhere and getting myself fit as far as lie angle and a shaft fitting.

I'm still a little trigger shy with all the talk of the new Mavriks (especially at the price point) but, man, I don't know if I can go back to cast clubs after experiencing the bliss of forged. First world problems, I guess. ?‍♂️

After 2 years away from the game finally have the time to start playing again so decided I wanted some new irons. Hit these today, must say I was quite impressed. Feel of the non pros wasnt anything special but the forgiveness was exceptional.

Think I narrowed it down to combo apex pros or the mizuno mp20 mmc. Dispersion was slightly better with the mizunos but I think modus 120 in the apex's will fix that. Light shafts dont work for me....

After 2 years away from the game finally have the time to start playing again so decided I wanted some new irons. Hit these today, must say I was quite impressed. Feel of the non pros wasnt anything special but the forgiveness was exceptional.

Think I narrowed it down to combo apex pros or the mizuno mp20 mmc. Dispersion was slightly better with the mizunos but I think modus 120 in the apex's will fix that. Light shafts dont work for me....
The Apex are really good. Dispersion and consistent distances have had me loving these since last February! Good luck on your quest for new irons.

Annual reminder to check your lofts/lie angels. Last year I had about 5 clubs that were off.

Today only my PW, 8i, and 7i were off by .5*, .5* upright at that.

All good to go for 2020!

20200315_085523.jpg

I had a great range session this morning with my Apex Pro's. I found something in my backswing that put me in the center of the face and made my contact much better. These forged heads combined with the Nippon Modus shafts is a great combo.

View attachment 8931861

I had a great range session this morning with my Apex Pro's. I found something in my backswing that put me in the center of the face and made my contact much better. These forged heads combined with the Nippon Modus shafts is a great combo.
I’m still thinking about getting the Apex19. I’ve swung it a few times at the big box store and it feels great and looks good on the monitor.

Last edited:
I’m still thinking about getting the Apex19. I’ve swung it a few times the the big box and it fells great and looks good on the monitor.

They look and feel awesome so if they give you good performance on the launch monitor then go for it. I was surprised how long they are even though they are not considered distance irons. Have you hit them on grass? What do you play currently?

They look and feel awesome so if they give you good performance on the launch monitor then go for it. I was surprised how long they are even though they are not considered distance irons. Have you hit them on grass? What do you play currently?
Haven’t hit them on grass yet. I’m currently bagging the Rogue irons. When I was in the store I couldn’t hit the stock rogue to save my life (not my specs) then I swung the apex and I was striking them perfectly. I alternated back and forth and same result every time. I normally play +1” and the guy thought I needed +1/2 but it wasn’t a true fitting. After knocking off the winter rust I’m thinking of getting a month into the season with some range time then hitting a golf champion for a real fitting. I’ve never had a true fitting.

I’m still on the fence with mine, have only played a handful of sim rounds so not sure if I just move on or give them a chance once the snow melts. The combo satin heads sure do look great though but I think the p760’s may keep their spot in my bag

I’m still on the fence with mine, have only played a handful of sim rounds so not sure if I just move on or give them a chance once the snow melts. The combo satin heads sure do look great though but I think the p760’s may keep their spot in my bag

I made a post with a video up the page a bit commenting on how great they feel on real turf as opposed to hitting off of a mat. I would recommend hitting them on grass before moving on. I have a descending blow and take a healthy divot and I found myself trying to pick the ball off of a mat.

Back