Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

I've been lucky, even this this terrible virus going around, to have played 6 rounds now with my C19 Forged with stock Elevate 95S and have some thoughts after playing the past two seasons with CF16s with Recoils.

I had a bad case of tennis elbows so was forced to switch to graphite two seasons ago and honestly struggled with them. My irons were once a strong point and just got bad, I was all over the place. Changed the flex, added lead tape etc but still no good. My elbows were feeling great again after a lot therapy and exercises with a flexbar. So when I spotted a big sale recently on CPO with the 95 S Elevate shafts, I pulled the trigger.

These Elevates are for real. I notice zero pain in my elbows, my accuracy has improved, the weight is perfect, and just a great feeling again to have a shaft that I have confidence in again.

Has been said in this thread and also by Callaway, the AW is so much improved from the CF16 that it's quickly becoming my favorite wedge. Less offset, thinner top line, improved shape, just perfect.

The whole set has slightly less offset than the CF16s which I like. I shipped my CF16s back to CPO for trade one round in after playing the CF19s. I notice a softer feel in the whole set. Yesterday I flushed a 5 iron after topping my tee shot on a short Par 4 and stuck it right over the flag into the wind about 195 yards away. Softest 5 iron I can remember hitting in a long time.

I'm real happy with these clubs. Stay safe everyone!

Has anyone switched from CF16 with XP95 shafts to the CF19 with Elevate shafts ? I am pondering this move right now. I can't get my fitting done because of the current situation but I tried the CF19 late last year and loved it. I have been playing the CF16 since 2015 and my ball striking is improved quite a bit and my iron shots are really high and ball always seems to be sitting just back from it's impact position, which tells me my spin could be high ?. I currently hit my PW about 115-120, 6i- 160, 5i -175, 4i 180-190. Driver SS is 105, not sure with irons. My current XP95 are S flex and I was thinking S flex in the Elevate or even a heavier option. Any feedback from someone with similar situation would be appreciated, some good deals on new irons right now, or even low use pre-owned.

Has been said in this thread and also by Callaway, the AW is so much improved from the CF16 that it's quickly becoming my favorite wedge. Less offset, thinner top line, improved shape, just perfect.

The AW is great. I warm up with it at the range and its hard to switch clubs when I get into a groove with it.

Has anyone switched from CF16 with XP95 shafts to the CF19 with Elevate shafts ? I am pondering this move right now. I can't get my fitting done because of the current situation but I tried the CF19 late last year and loved it. I have been playing the CF16 since 2015 and my ball striking is improved quite a bit and my iron shots are really high and ball always seems to be sitting just back from it's impact position, which tells me my spin could be high ?. I currently hit my PW about 115-120, 6i- 160, 5i -175, 4i 180-190. Driver SS is 105, not sure with irons. My current XP95 are S flex and I was thinking S flex in the Elevate or even a heavier option. Any feedback from someone with similar situation would be appreciated, some good deals on new irons right now, or even low use pre-owned.

Well in theory those two shafts profile to about the same player. Non aggressive swinger that wants maximum height and spin. I would think you'd get similar performance to what you are now (the 19's are a tad longer for most though), just with newer gear, with the new set. If you're hitting shots detrimentally high you might want to look into something with more weight or a different profile. Kind of stay away from the elevates altogether. Something like a DG105 would possibly be a little more middle ground in terms of height and spin without seeming real heavy to you. You might ultimately need something very different, but a dramatic switch can be hard all at once and light is the trend anyway. Try going to ShaftFit and see what it fits you with.

On the main topic - I hit a couple Apex 19 combos today for the first time in months. So. Freaking. Good.

Well in theory those two shafts profile to about the same player. Non aggressive swinger that wants maximum height and spin. I would think you'd get similar performance to what you are now (the 19's are a tad longer for most though), just with newer gear, with the new set. If you're hitting shots detrimentally high you might want to look into something with more weight or a different profile. Kind of stay away from the elevates altogether. Something like a DG105 would possibly be a little more middle ground in terms of height and spin without seeming real heavy to you. You might ultimately need something very different, but a dramatic switch can be hard all at once and light is the trend anyway. Try going to ShaftFit and see what it fits you with.

On the main topic - I hit a couple Apex 19 combos today for the first time in months. So. Freaking. Good.
Thank you for your comments. the fitter I was talking to before we had to cancel due to Covid, was also thinking I might want to look at a heavier shaft too and I actually tend to swing more aggressively than not. Using Shaftfit and considering my tempo, it pointed me at either an AMT Black S 95-116 or Project X LZ 115 so yes, it looks like a slightly heavier choice may be the better option.

Thank you for your comments. the fitter I was talking to before we had to cancel due to Covid, was also thinking I might want to look at a heavier shaft too and I actually tend to swing more aggressively than not. Using Shaftfit and considering my tempo, it pointed me at either an AMT Black S 95-116 or Project X LZ 115 so yes, it looks like a slightly heavier choice may be the better option.
That's the 5.5 LZ, right? That was another one that came to my mind, but didn't know if you'd like a sudden 20g jump in weight. It's such an individual thing.

The AMT blacks might be a good option for that. Keep it lighter in the long irons, little heavier and lower flight in the shorter ones. I don't know the exact specs on the blacks. I play the AMT white in my current set. They're heavier than the blacks, but serve the same purpose because they're paired with clubs that are naturally high launching like the Apex.

That's the 5.5 LZ, right? That was another one that came to my mind, but didn't know if you'd like a sudden 20g jump in weight. It's such an individual thing.

The AMT blacks might be a good option for that. Keep it lighter in the long irons, little heavier and lower flight in the shorter ones. I don't know the exact specs on the blacks. I play the AMT white in my current set. They're heavier than the blacks, but serve the same purpose because they're paired with clubs that are naturally high launching like the Apex.

I am learning as we go as I have only been golfing for just over 10 yrs. I'm in my early 60's but I actually have quite high swing speed. I find the technical aspect of this very interesting and am realizing that the jump in weight could be very noticeable. I am going to try and hold off till I can maybe try a few heavier shafts but it is sounding like the 95g shaft I play, even though it is a supposed stiff shaft, may be a little too light. The balls sure stop when they land though, even with the longer irons.

Got to play my beloved Apex set today for the first time in long while. Sweet buttery goodness in those clubs.

I've been lucky, even this this terrible virus going around, to have played 6 rounds now with my C19 Forged with stock Elevate 95S and have some thoughts after playing the past two seasons with CF16s with Recoils.

I had a bad case of tennis elbows so was forced to switch to graphite two seasons ago and honestly struggled with them. My irons were once a strong point and just got bad, I was all over the place. Changed the flex, added lead tape etc but still no good. My elbows were feeling great again after a lot therapy and exercises with a flexbar. So when I spotted a big sale recently on CPO with the 95 S Elevate shafts, I pulled the trigger.

These Elevates are for real. I notice zero pain in my elbows, my accuracy has improved, the weight is perfect, and just a great feeling again to have a shaft that I have confidence in again.

The whole set has slightly less offset than the CF16s which I like. I shipped my CF16s back to CPO for trade one round in after playing the CF19s. I notice a softer feel in the whole set. Yesterday I flushed a 5 iron after topping my tee shot on a short Par 4 and stuck it right over the flag into the wind about 195 yards away. Softest 5 iron I can remember hitting in a long time.

I'm real happy with these clubs. Stay safe everyone!

I’m the opposite of you. I took my Elevate 95’s our and replaced with Recoil 95’s and have seen immediate improvements for my game. I’m a high ball hitter, and the Elevates where just ballooning for me. The Recoils seem perfect. I’ve hit more good iron shots in the last few rounds than I had all of last season. I don’t see myself switching these Recoils out anytime soon.

Had a great day yesterday with the Apex Pro's. The AW has been my favorite iron so far but the 8 iron was magic yesterday. After a shaky start I hit my 8 iron to ten feet on a 160 yard par three and drained the birdie put. Later in the round I was in the right rough with a big tree between me and the flag. I had 168 to the back pin location. I did not think I could get a 7 iron over that tree so I nuked an 8 iron over the tree to five feet pin high. Drained that birdie put as well. The Apex Pro's are so good for me.

The smoke combo set continues to provide me with great results. I’m still fighter if my iron swing somewhat with my long irons (5 & 6) but I’ve found a groove with my 7-PW. Predictable distances and the elevate tours are providing the launch I want to see. Forgiveness is there also in terms of not being penalized for off center hits like other irons.

I bagged these again yesterday, hoping to compare them with the Epic Forged irons I received at the Grandaddy. I forgot how long the Apex 19s are. I had my EF weakened 2*, and I was seeing very similar distances yesterday. I think I hit the EF a little higher, but these are tremendous irons. And I missed that feel. :love:

Apex 19 - what is forgiveness level on these?

Apex 19 - what is forgiveness level on these?

Thin shots especially are just crazy good. There are similar clubs that I think feel a little better on mishits, but on results they're pretty amazing.

Thin shots especially are just crazy good. There are similar clubs that I think feel a little better on mishits, but on results they're pretty amazing.

They're probably above my ability level as far as what I should be playing, but I can't help but want to hit them. Great looking clubs.

I play off 26 and have had a rough couple of years with little improvement. I was fitted into these having ruled them out previously with the elevate shafts and my game before the lock down in the uk was definitely moving in the right direction. Hitting these better than my Ping G15’s or Wilson fatshafts (Played my best golf with these back in 2004).

Take the leap you won’t regret it 😀

They're probably above my ability level as far as what I should be playing, but I can't help but want to hit them. Great looking clubs.
I don't see why they would be. I've seen lists where the CF19s are under GI irons. I think the cf16s actually play a hair tougher. The regular 19s can help or play well for a lot of people. My wife's Uncle is about a 20-25 cap and he loves them. They're a good fit, too.

Edit: See? @r80rew likes 'em!

I don't see why they would be. I've seen lists where the CF19s are under GI irons. I think the cf16s actually play a hair tougher. The regular 19s can help or play well for a lot of people. My wife's Uncle is about a 20-25 cap and he loves them. They're a good fit, too.

Edit: See? @r80rew likes 'em!
I'm almost afraid to hit them because if I fall in love with them that price tag would sting a little bit!

My handicap has dropped 19% since April 1st, went from CF16's to CF19's. I think the Elevate 95 shaft is a much better fit for me weight wise coming from lighter graphite, but I definitely believe they are better feeling irons and more forgiving too than the CF16's.

You guys that are on the fence should avoid these irons unless you like crazy good feeling shots and birdie putts. :cool:

I still am in love with these irons. Distance, forgiveness, feel, looks...just a great total package. It is really hard to margine taking these out of the bag.

I bagged these again yesterday, hoping to compare them with the Epic Forged irons I received at the Grandaddy. I forgot how long the Apex 19s are. I had my EF weakened 2*, and I was seeing very similar distances yesterday. I think I hit the EF a little higher, but these are tremendous irons. And I missed that feel. :love:
Well Tomorrow I finally get to put my Apex CF19 Irons to the test with first round in 2020.
If I hit them as well as I hit yours in October, there is going to be a lot to look forward to.

Great thread as the callaway distance fitting discussion talked about a mixed set of these. Have to look back through the thread as an equipment ponder.

First round with these iron on Saturday and all I can say is OMG! Where have these irons been all my life!
Started out kinda of hesitate and was coming up a little short with my iron shots, however once I warmed up, I kept clubing up and going off the green.
At this point, these irons are longer for me than my Rogue X irons.
@JMB3 I hit these irons as good as I hit yours, Straight and Long.
Couldn't be happier!

I do think that I will need to find a ball and stick with it as I could see switching balls could really affect my shot results.

Last edited:
Back