Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

So my wife wanted to play this morning. After we just played yesterday. Caught me by surprise, but I figured why not and hopped out of bed. And I figured that as long as we're going again I might as well play my favorite irons I haven't played much this year (Apex combo), and get after it a little this time.

It's a 6200 yd course, but I shot -12 with 8 birdies and 2 eagles.

These irons are still a little bit okay.

What?

Oof, that's so tough. They're so different to me. And I might not be the best person to ask. I don't know that I've hit a better iron than Apex on a low/thin miss. Flight changes and it feels like hell, but you're in great position still. UHX would be close. I'd probably give the toe to forged tec. Especially in the long irons. High and high toe back to Apex in the short. Heel I'd say even or forged tec. Yeah, forged tec. They're both great, but just look miles different at address and have different flights. Apex looks much more player-ish and flies higher, forged tec longer heel to toe and bigger with what looks like more offset. Which imo can have an effect on people's confidence and end results, and ultimately be more or less forgiving because of that.

The two profiles do look vastly different.

I think I may have sold my Apex Combo set. I may also have seller’s remorse.

Ya. That happened. Lol I was posting in the Live Round thread during it. Handicap went even more stupid after that round.

The two profiles do look vastly different.

That's why it's so hard to compare them! People ask me all the time, and they're just so different. The size, shape, feel, flights, soles and turf interaction, finish, everything is just different. I usually just shrug in the end, say I play them both to plus, and offer to let whoever try them. They're both great.

I think I may have sold my Apex Combo set. I may also have seller’s remorse.
Doh! I may have an Apex 19 Smoke combo set with Catalyst 100 stiff shafts that I'd be willing to let go if that remorse gets really strong. ;)

So my wife wanted to play this morning. After we just played yesterday. Caught me by surprise, but I figured why not and hopped out of bed. And I figured that as long as we're going again I might as well play my favorite irons I haven't played much this year (Apex combo), and get after it a little this time.

It's a 6200 yd course, but I shot -12 with 8 birdies and 2 eagles.

These irons are still a little bit okay.

I'm stuttering at my keyboard. Goodness gracious man, that is a score.

Played 27 yesterday and the Apex irons were amazing. The day started off with an 8i into the green. Birdie putt. Next hole 9i into the green. Birdie putt. 3rd hole PW. Birdie putt.

It wasn’t just the scoring clubs though. A GIR with 5iron. Good 7irons hit. I was thrilled with the ball striking with irons. High in the air and landing soft, holding greens.

The AW is one of my favorite clubs in the bag, I’m starting to grip down on the AW when I have those 80-90 yard shots as opposed to using my 54*. I did notice the SW is also 54* but at the same time it isn’t a club I use much of in a given round, plus i rather just grip down with the AW.

No golf today or at all next week. Vacation time.

Think I'm going to stick with the Apex combo while I work on a couple things and add a little more speed. The high flight is perfect for conditions here. Max carry and I know everything will stick. Need to re-shaft the cf19s in it though. They're different than my pros and the $ tapers S aren't cutting it with my transition when I get after them. Going to try some AMT white X100s.

My biggest concern on switching to the combo set was the Pro 8i. My Apex 8i was my favorite iron from that set; my confidence with it was through the roof, and it made me nervous going with the "less forgiving" Pro version. So, I ended up buying two 8 irons, one of each... Well, with as well as I have been striking the Pro 9i, I decided to put the Pro 8i in play. And holy smokes...

I used the Pro 8i on two par 3s today, hitting both greens pin high. The second of which was into a stiff wind and an island green, and I ended up with a 10 foot look at birdie. On the very next hole, after an atrocious drive, I had 160 left out of the rough. Pulled 8i and hit it pin high again, with this one in even closer (wish I could putt tho...). On 17, with 10 strokes over the last two holes left to break 90, I hooked a drive into the trees. My first punch hit a tree and dropped. My second punch got out, but just barely. Sitting 160 out, still in the rough, I hit 8i, which landed just short of the green and rolled to about 12-15 feet. Luckily, I made the putt to save bogey, which helped me save 89. I freaking love this club.

I can’t stop singing the praises of these irons. My iron play is as good as its ever been.

I was medalist even par in our club championship qualifying with my Apex 19's. Not a lot guys entered in gross division with the virus etc. so I have a shot in upcoming match play. :)

Playing really good with these irons. Love them with the Elevate shafts.

Anyone with moderate swing speed having success with these? What shafts are you playing in them? Thanks in advance....

Playing really good with these irons. Love them with the Elevate shafts.
The ball striking from 5-AW since about May has been a huge eye opener for me. Confidence oozes on and off the tee. Hitting more Greens is fun, but more 3 putt opportunities haha.

I'm glad you mentioned the shafts. They're fantastic. I'm not really much of a gear head or tech guy when it comes to this stuff, but this has been great. When I was fit into a regular flex shaft for driver it immediately got me thinking about possibly going R-Flex for the rest of my bag.

I have the Stiff Flex but really as light as this shaft feels not to mention the VSS technology, I can't be happier and have no need to try a R-Flex or Graphite shaft. Excellent combo without even mentioning the known features packed into the clubhead of the iron.

Anyone with moderate swing speed having success with these? What shafts are you playing in them? Thanks in advance....

I would say my ss is moderate in the sense of I am not really quick with my tempo. I am playing the Elevate Tour in mine and love the feel. Not too heavy or stiff... TT nailed it with the VSS as well.

The ball striking from 5-AW since about May has been a huge eye opener for me. Confidence oozes on and off the tee. Hitting more Greens is fun, but more 3 putt opportunities haha.

I'm glad you mentioned the shafts. They're fantastic. I'm not really much of a gear head or tech guy when it comes to this stuff, but this has been great. When I was fit into a regular flex shaft for driver it immediately got me thinking about possibly going R-Flex for the rest of my bag.

I have the Stiff Flex but really as light as this shaft feels not to mention the VSS technology, I can't be happier and have no need to try a R-Flex or Graphite shaft. Excellent combo without even mentioning the known features packed into the clubhead of the iron.

I got the same shafts as you, Elevate Stiff and I'm coming from CF16's with Recoils. I thought I needed graphite with my tennis elbow issues, but these Elevates with VSS inserts are the real deal. No elbow issues at all this year and I've played a ton of rounds so far. At least 4 rounds a week.

I am probably the definition of moderate speed. I am 83 mph with the 6iron. I got fitted into the standard Apex recently with Nippon 850GH shafts in stiff flex. In my most recent time on the simulator I was carrying 6 iron 167.

I have about 10 rounds in with the irons and am still getting used to them a bit but I am very happy. I find the standard Apex to give me all the performance I am looking for in a club. I went in thinking about a combo set but couldn't see the benefit. I can control trajectory and work the ball when needed. My swing is changing a bit with more of a draw bias. I have been a fader of the golf ball my whole life so picking and trusting targets I am still getting used to. Overall great clubs. I was looking for a little more distance while not sacrificing control and so far I have gotten that.

I'm playing the Apex CF19's with the stock Catalyst 60 in regular flex and the lie adjusted 2 degrees flat.
I absolutely love these sticks. I've been playing them since very late last season and have not regretted one second of getting them.
As I was getting older, I started losing distance with my old Burner 2.0's with steel shafts. Since getting the Apex with the Catalyst shafts and adjusted lie, I have not only regained the old distance, but also added another 5 yards on average. Along with that, I now have some pretty good confidence in hitting the 5 iron again.

I'm approaching two years with these bad boys in the bag and I still can't believe how good they are. They feel as good as they day I got them...well maybe a little better now with Recoil Protos in them. I don't get to play often, but when I do, I'm playing better golf than I have in YEARS! Feels great to find some consistency, but I'm blown away by how these irons rode the wave with and kept performing....good swing or bad.

So I noticed a weird trend with the club pros in Nebraska, talked about it with a bunch of them (and mentioned it on tho), and have done the same here as I meet them, keeping kind of an informal poll. Of the 14 who were given Mavrik Pros this year, I've found 6 who still currently play them, and only 2 of the 8 who play to a low handicap. Nearly all the rest have one of the Apex in their game bag (lot of combos). Most common stated reason is 'the Apex are really/so good' and ''I just play them better'.

I know they usually only get stock stuff and people are resistant to change. I also think it'd be harder to sell people on the new ones when you won't even play them yourself. Apex do cost more though.. Anyway, I find it really interesting and wanted to share it with you fellow Apexers.

And more curiously, every single one of them has/had Mavrik woods in their bag. Every one. No one apparently just loves or plays the Epic Flash that much better...

Last edited:
Doh! I may have an Apex 19 Smoke combo set with Catalyst 100 stiff shafts that I'd be willing to let go if that remorse gets really strong. ;)

That was exactly my set. The new owner is excited and I am glad to have found a new home for my set.

I'm approaching two years with these bad boys in the bag and I still can't believe how good they are. They feel as good as they day I got them...well maybe a little better now with Recoil Protos in them. I don't get to play often, but when I do, I'm playing better golf than I have in YEARS! Feels great to find some consistency, but I'm blown away by how these irons rode the wave with and kept performing....good swing or bad.

Right there with you. I’ve had these in the bag for awhile also, and I just can’t see them going anywhere soon. The forgiveness is crazy and ball speed retention on mishits is amazing. I’m curious to see how they improve with the next version.

Right there with you. I’ve had these in the bag for awhile also, and I just can’t see them going anywhere soon. The forgiveness is crazy and ball speed retention on mishits is amazing. I’m curious to see how they improve with the next version.

They’ve got their work cut out for them.

That was exactly my set. The new owner is excited and I am glad to have found a new home for my set.
How would you compare the Apex and FT from a performance standpoint (launch, spin, distance, and most importantly forgiveness)? Those are 2 of the clubs I’m pondering. Thanks in advance

How would you compare the Apex and FT from a performance standpoint (launch, spin, distance, and most importantly forgiveness)? Those are 2 of the clubs I’m pondering. Thanks in advance

I had the Combo Apex set, so the profiles in the two are actually very different in 8 iron down. That’s being said, I think that the FT are more forgiving, launch higher, yield better ball speed and spin less. All of that means more distance, at least that is my experience. on the other side, the Apex have less offset, especially the Pros, look smaller heel to toe and have a bit smaller sole. Both are very good irons.

Back