Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Last year... If I didn’t already have a set at home, Gerritt would have put me into the Apex CF16s instead of the Rogue Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rogue Pros were as close to profile and feel as I could find. Really felt at home with them.

I had some indoor time with pops yesterday and it felt really good to pure a couple

Last year... If I didn’t already have a set at home, Gerritt would have put me into the Apex CF16s instead of the Rogue Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll admit, I was shocked at how similar the feel was between then which speaks a lot to the design and vibration dampening that Callaway put into the Rogue Pros. I still prefer the finish of the CF 16's and the Forged feel but they were definitely a viable option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Saw this on fujikura's IG today - looks like the iron heads are stamped CF 18. Could these be the next Apex irons?

cffbfad805046e13c1ca8cb0cbdc7bb7.jpg

Saw this on fujikura's IG today - looks like the iron heads are stamped CF 18. Could these be the next Apex irons?

cffbfad805046e13c1ca8cb0cbdc7bb7.jpg

I can’t tell for sure, but they look like Rogue heads to me. Which iteration of Rogue, I cannot discern. I would venture to guess that any new iron being released in ‘19 would say CF 19.

I can’t tell for sure, but they look like Rogue heads to me. Which iteration of Rogue, I cannot discern. I would venture to guess that any new iron being released in ‘19 would say CF 19.

My Big Berthas are stamped CF 19.

7c2727d3c047012b529da0c3e9aac24d.jpg

Ha, whoops. I'm sure you're right. My mistake.

My Big Berthas are stamped CF 19.

7c2727d3c047012b529da0c3e9aac24d.jpg

That’s kind of what I was thinking. The Big Bertha irons become available to mere mortals (which you are not, as a Grandaddy alum) on January 18. Thus, they are stamped CF 19.

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

That’s kind of what I was thinking. The Big Bertha irons become available to mere mortals (which you are not, as a Grandaddy alum) on January 18. Thus, they are stamped CF 19.

That’s what it looks like, and that tallies with past history.

i have had mine for two years now...almost to the day. They have more than 400 rounds and numerous practice sessions. Still going strong with no plans to change.

I still think they are the best in the class. I wish I still had my set.

I want to go back to this quote. Course got closed today some snow flurries, bummer!

So I headed over to the local golf store to compare my CF16 7 iron with the Mizuno Hot Metals and Forged which I knew they had in LH. The Mizuno fitting cart has the Recoils 95 reg which I was fitted for.

After a bit of watching me the salesman comes over and starts up a cool conversation with me and bottom line, the CF 16's won this battle hands down.

I got lead tape on my CF16's to bring the SW up to D2 and these easily beat both the Mizuno's in numbers and also feel to me. I mean I wish I had bought Recoil 95's instead of the Recoil 760's but a little lead tape helps a bunch.

We both agreed that it was best for me to wait for the new Apex iron release and see if those could best my CF16s.

Last edited:
I want to go back to this quote. Course got closed today some snow flurries, bummer!

So I headed over to the local golf store to compare my CF16 7 iron with the Mizuno Hot Metals and Forged which I knew they had in LH. The Mizuno fitting cart has the Recoils 95 reg which I was fitted for.

After a bit of watching me the salesman comes over and starts up a cool conversation with me and bottom line, the CF 16's won this battle hands down.

I got lead tape on my CF16's to bring the SW up to D2 and these easily beat both the Mizuno's in numbers and also feel to me. I mean I wish I had bought Recoil 95's instead of the Recoil 780's but a little lead tape helps a bunch.

We both agreed that it was best for me to wait for the new Apex iron release and see if those could best my CF16s.

CF16 got me from a 12 down to a 8. Lack of playing and new MC clubs got it going back up over 12....so yes hard to argue with these clubs and cannot wait for the 19 version to see if they can kick out my MC KFTBs!!

I got lead tape on my CF16's to bring the SW up to D2 and these easily beat both the Mizuno's in numbers and also feel to me. I mean I wish I had bought Recoil 95's instead of the Recoil 760's but a little lead tape helps a bunch.

There are some great deals on Callaway Pre-Owned right now. I was very tempted to pick up a set with the recoils.

I'm still loving mine after an entire season and the finish is holding up well. I've been thinking about getting them bent a degree strong because sometime during the year I started hitting the ball really high. My carry distance is still solid but if there is any wind I really have a hard time. I was was fit into the KBS tour-v stiff flex and love how it feels but I'm thinking I need to get back on a launch monitor to look at some numbers.

Regardless, this is the best iron set I've ever owned and I don't regret my purchase one bit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There are some great deals on Callaway Pre-Owned right now. I was very tempted to pick up a set with the recoils.
I have been eyeing these on CPO and may pull the trigger, just don't know what shaft to get.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have been eyeing these on CPO and may pull the trigger, just don't know what shaft to get.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Recoils.

^^^^^ DITTO ^^^^^

Hard to beat Recoil shafts.

I know recoils are what I’d get

I wanted to give this thread a 2019 bump.

My set of these from CPO arrived last week. Stock XP R300 shaft, standard L/L. Despite some apprehension due to the smaller profile heel to toe of the iron and some troubling ball striking on my part, decided to put these in play for the first time.

I know there is a lot of justified love for the cf19. There is a lot more tech packed into the new version and it sounds like Callaway was able to do some special things to optimize COG, feel, ball speeds, etc.

Still, I came away extremely impressed with this set. I don't believe it was the most forgiving set or even longest I've played (Steelhead XR takes both). Not sure if it's the best feeling iron, although I really enjoyed hitting them, particularly the non-CF irons. I do think at address they are the best looking set, but I came away impressed with the overall package. Ball flight was high enough to stop nicely (playing a spinny ball), but strong enough to not get pushed around by the wind. Forgiveness was prevalent, particularly off the toe where they were tested quite a bit. Had a full 9i come off and immediate feedback announced a miss, but I wound up 15 feet short of the back flag, right in the middle of the green. Overall was just fine with the results on misses.

My initial impression is an extremely well-executed package, which makes sense given how it has stood the test of time. Look forward to another range session to continue dialing these in.

i posted this up in another thread but I am hoping to get more traction here....
I am currently playing my Adams cmb irons shafted with a combo of c taper lite in the 4 and 5 iron and amt tour white in the remainder. I am loving the flight of this combo and have no desire to change these. The cmb however, while i would say is forgiving for it's design, it could use more for me especially on the toe area. That has brought the thought of bringing my apex cf16 out of the basement. I stopped playing them because I had shafted them with recoil 780 es f4 shafts, had played them for a while, and I have a difficult time flighting that combo down. They play long and high, real high. As advertised, the amt whites are described as a low flight shaft. Do you think there would be a noticeable, appreciable difference to a lower flight if I were to reshaft the cf16s to the amt whites? Or is it the nature of the cf16 to fly high?
The other option being do not invest in those irons, sell them and buy something else?

I think the CF16 cup face irons are (3-7) are supposed to fly higher than the scoring irons which are supposed to flight lower. I have no problems fighting them all med/low.

I think the CF16 cup face irons are (3-7) are supposed to fly higher than the scoring irons which are supposed to flight lower. I have no problems fighting them all med/low.

WELL no chit Mike, you're a good golfer, lol! No really tho, that recoil shaft does not work for me.

I play my CF16 with 125 F5 shafts - excellent control when keeping them low.
One of the reasons I play them is because of their ability to flight the ball low when needed.

The 780 ES F4 shafts have a soft tip section - have you tried a stiffer tip option?

Back