Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

For the first time in 3 weeks I had my A swing going today with these. 13 GIR and seeing consistent distance even in the 30° temps. These coupled with the Chrome Soft didn't seem like it was cold at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Got in my 2nd round with the CF16s in 35*-38* weather with no range time. Here's a hole by hole summary of my iron shots.

1 - GIR from 161 w/ 7i
2 - Missed short w/ PW
3 - Flew the uphill par 3 from 152 w/7i
4 - Hooked drive into trees. No shot at the green
5 - GIR from 168 w/ 6i
6 - GIR to 4' with PW form 110
7 - Hooked drive into trees. Hit a branch punching out. No shot at the green
8 - Flew the green from 142 w/ a 7i on a severely uphill green. I normally club up at least 1 club on this approach.
9 - Tried to hit a huge fade around a tree from 185, but hit the tree. Put the next one on from 143 w/ the 8i
10 - GIR Choked down 7i to 3ft from 155.
11 - GIR from 120 w/ the PW
12 - GIR with 54* from 40
13 - GIR from 146 w/ 8i
14 - Just a little over the green w/ a 9i from 136
15 - GIR from 115 w/ PW
16 - Had to punch a 5i from 120 due to overhanging limbs. Pin high just off the green left.
17 - GIR from 10 yards with a 60*
18 - GIR w/ 8i on uphill 138 approach.

This was one of the best rounds of iron play I've ever had & it led to a PB for the last 9 holes. The 35 I shot on the back 9 was the 1st time I've broken par on 9 holes at this course.

The combination of the Modus Tour 130s & the CF16s is flat out producing. I never would have guessed I could game these shafts.

The combination of the Modus Tour 130s & the CF16s is flat out producing. I never would have guessed I could game these shafts.

great stuff shakey! why did you go with those shafts? did you try any other shafts first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. These are legit. Absolutely loved them, even in 15*. Need to hit alongside the OG Apex to see distance differences, but man do I want a set of these. They're fun, shiny and beautiful as all heck.

I held one in my hands today, and the first thing I noticed is it had heft to it but the weight was evenly divided at the butt end and the club head. I really like that. Someday I will swing these. I really look forward to that time.

great stuff shakey! why did you go with those shafts? did you try any other shafts first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got a great deal on them with the intention of swapping out the Modus for some Recoils.

I held one in my hands today, and the first thing I noticed is it had heft to it but the weight was evenly divided at the butt end and the club head. I really like that. Someday I will swing these. I really look forward to that time.

You'll enjoy them when you do, mark it down.

Fantastic sticks.

Got these out on the course this weekend and from what I saw I believe I'm really going to love these clubs. Couple examples...

First chance I got to hit one of these was the par 3 3rd hole that was playing 192 yards to a pin that was at the back of the green. Have no real idea of distances with these so I just grabbed the 5 iron, figuring that the 7 iron was going around 165 during my fitting, so the 5 should be around 185ish, and would be the perfect club. Ball ended up landing 1 yard short of the flag and ended up about 10 feet past the hole. Looked at the club to make sure it was the 5 iron, ok then, 191 yard 5 iron.

Par 4 6th hole I had left myself 125 yards to the hole. Guessing a full PW would go 135ish, and my 52 gap wedge only goes 110, I decided to just choke down and inch and play a nice full shot with the PW. The ball absolutely launched off the face into orbit, I'm not sure I've ever hit a ball as high in my life. Ball just floated up there and landed 6 feet left of the hole and stopped. I missed the putt.

On the 10th I had 160 into the flag with a helping wind and chose the 8 iron. Hit the ball off the toe and it still ended up on the front of the green. That shot with my previous irons would have been in the hazard short of the green. Same thing happened on the 16th where I hit a shot off the toe and was still able to clear the hazard short of the green.

What I'm discovering is that the good shots are really good and the bad ones still end up being OK. I'm also pleasantly surprised to see that I can still work the ball when I want to and everything doesn't just have to be straight or high. Only downside is I'm going to have to reword the top and bottom of my bag now, oh well!

I doubt I'll keep it in the bag full time, but I've been hitting the 4i instead of my 4h when I need to take the left side out of play. It's weird because I haven't had a 4i I would game in a long time. It's worked out pretty well as long as I don't over swing.

I agree with Jman. When you do hit these, youll love them

I have some time so I guess I will add my 2 cents to the reviews. A little background on me. I play to a 5 handicap. I normally play golf 2-3 times a week and go to the range one night a week during the golf season. I hurt my wrist in October so I am playing now with a wrist brace on which as caused me to adjust my swing a bit. Instead of a draw I now play a bit of a fad because I can't turn the club face over like before the injury. I am coming from a set of Ping I25's that I played for 8 months and prior to that I had a set of I20's.

I got my irons one week before Thanksgiving so I guess that makes them almost 2 months old. I have played approx. 6 rounds with these and have been to the range over a dozen times. My set is 5 thru AW standard length and lie and shafted with KBS Tour V90 stiff shafts with Golf Pride NDMC grips.

I am really impressed with these irons so far. The ball flight is exactly what I was looking for and they are extremely forgiving clubs. The bad hits seem to keep there line very well. I have hit some balls with a really bad swing to look up and see the ball still go straight. When you hit the club flush it has a great soft feel to the hit. So far I find the distance to be pretty consistent right down to the 7 iron. I have hit a few with the 7, 6 and 5 that have flown incredible distances. With the weather right now and the wrist injury I really hope to dial these in better in a month or two.

The clubs are really great for pitching around the green...I like to use a 8 or 9 iron for most of these shots and the distance control has been great so far.

I recently shot a 1 over round with these...Looks like they're going to be in my bag for a while!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this quick review is helpful for anyone looking for info on these clubs. I would recommend these clubs for all golfers ...low handicap and high handicap alike....I hope to add a better review in the Spring when the golf season kicks in!!

Joe

I do cannot wait to get these out on the course again! This is going to be a long winter.

As much as I live these. I'm a little confused on the shaft options. I wanted the XP105's. Was told at time of order they were only available in the 16 Pros do to parallel vs tapered tip issue. I can't find it but I think I remember seeing that the CF16 took either shaft in this or another thread here. I like the XP95 that I have but the XP105 gave me a bit better dispersion at demo. I settled I know but if they do take either parallel or tapered I want the 105's. Can anyone here confirm the CF16 ability to accept both shafts.

I agree with Jman. When you do hit these, youll love them

I have zero doubt both of you are correct. I think the next time I go to Carl's I will take some swings. The price point is so high though that even I wouldn't think of buying a set. THat's part of what held me back from trying it. I have awful impulse control at times.

I have some time so I guess I will add my 2 cents to the reviews. A little background on me. I play to a 5 handicap. I normally play golf 2-3 times a week and go to the range one night a week during the golf season. I hurt my wrist in October so I am playing now with a wrist brace on which as caused me to adjust my swing a bit. Instead of a draw I now play a bit of a fad because I can't turn the club face over like before the injury. I am coming from a set of Ping I25's that I played for 8 months and prior to that I had a set of I20's.

I got my irons one week before Thanksgiving so I guess that makes them almost 2 months old. I have played approx. 6 rounds with these and have been to the range over a dozen times. My set is 5 thru AW standard length and lie and shafted with KBS Tour V90 stiff shafts with Golf Pride NDMC grips.

I am really impressed with these irons so far. The ball flight is exactly what I was looking for and they are extremely forgiving clubs. The bad hits seem to keep there line very well. I have hit some balls with a really bad swing to look up and see the ball still go straight. When you hit the club flush it has a great soft feel to the hit. So far I find the distance to be pretty consistent right down to the 7 iron. I have hit a few with the 7, 6 and 5 that have flown incredible distances. With the weather right now and the wrist injury I really hope to dial these in better in a month or two.

The clubs are really great for pitching around the green...I like to use a 8 or 9 iron for most of these shots and the distance control has been great so far.

I recently shot a 1 over round with these...Looks like they're going to be in my bag for a while!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this quick review is helpful for anyone looking for info on these clubs. I would recommend these clubs for all golfers ...low handicap and high handicap alike....I hope to add a better review in the Spring when the golf season kicks in!!

Joe
Great stuff Joe. Can't wait for the weather to break and we can get a round in together with these. You've got the low cap part covered, I've got the other end of the spectrum. Although hopefully not for long, with some work and the help of these clubs.

Great stuff Joe. Can't wait for the weather to break and we can get a round in together with these. You've got the low cap part covered, I've got the other end of the spectrum. Although hopefully not for long, with some work and the help of these clubs.

Looking forward to it Rob.....Should be a lot of fun!!!
Come on Spring!!!

Man you guys are making me struggle so bad with these irons! I've played my current z545s well that it's hard for me to look into another set but all this positive feedback just has me wondering lol. I know MikeG and EMart used to have the 545s....do you feel it's worth buying? Is there any aspect you miss from the 545s that u don't get from the Apex cf16 or do the apex outperform in all aspects?

Man you guys are making me struggle so bad with these irons! I've played my current z545s well that it's hard for me to look into another set but all this positive feedback just has me wondering lol. I know MikeG and EMart used to have the 545s....do you feel it's worth buying? Is there any aspect you miss from the 545s that u don't get from the Apex cf16 or do the apex outperform in all aspects?
I gamed the 545's a bit before getting my CF's and the CF's just outperform the 545's in every category IMO

I am not disappointed in the switch. In the fall I am seeing similar distances with these that I saw with the z545s in the summer. The one thing that I kinda miss is the soft feel of the 545s but the sound/feel on these is good so I got over that quickly and only think about it on a slight mishit when that softness isn't there.

Finally got my CF 16s on Monday. 4-AW Project x 5.5...so damn nice looking. Need to update WITB and get some pics up.

So pumped to play them. :blob:

Just finished 2nd round with the new Apex CF16 after 2 seasons with the original Apex. 1st round was garbage, my swing was just crap so nothing to gain from that one.

Today's round however really highlighted what others have said, very forgiving with low on the face shots. Had several swings where I caught it thin, but ended up either on the green or pin high. Even more forgiving than the original Apex which is saying something.

With a very mediocre swing and 3 3 putts, I shot my handicap in some terrible weather (had the umbrella out 5 times and once got it flipped inside out due to gusting winds).

Just finished 2nd round with the new Apex CF16 after 2 seasons with the original Apex. 1st round was garbage, my swing was just crap so nothing to gain from that one.

Today's round however really highlighted what others have said, very forgiving with low on the face shots. Had several swings where I caught it thin, but ended up either on the green or pin high. Even more forgiving than the original Apex which is saying something.

With a very mediocre swing and 3 3 putts, I shot my handicap in some terrible weather (had the umbrella out 5 times and once got it flipped inside out due to gusting winds).

I would like to see you in action with these. You have a very controlled game and these have to be nothing short of perfect for you

I bought these irons about two months ago but haven't played them until few days ago. The few times I hit them at the range in 40 degree weather felt solid but nothing spectacular

But without a doubt these clubs are longer than the regular Apex I came from. I was on back of the green and over the green all day today in Vegas in 50-60 temperatures yesterday and today.

i normally hit my 7 iron 150 yards reg temp and 155 yards hot temp but today while really cold, 7 was going 160-165

now mind you, these clubs feel firm and don't feel as soft as the regular apex but they do feel good after getting used to them ....they do look more sleek and abit smaller than reg apex too...but I have exact same KBS tour 90 shafts in regular.

i am loving these new irons and the cup face tech actually appears to work and I had my doubts too.

My current gamers have been in the bag for 5 years and I literally have not tried any irons over the last 5 years. I'm looking to something with more forgiveness and a little extra distance. I've read through most of this thread now and the 850f and Nike VPC threads (great info) as well. Those and the cf16 were my target irons I'm interested in. I had a chance to hit all three this week. I haven't golfed since the last week in Sept 15 though so I wasn't expecting to much from my swing. It took a really long time to finally get in a groove, but never the less I still was able to get some feedback on these irons. Keep in mind my irons are pretty old and have weaker lofts (4-24* with 4* splits though to pw).

I started off with the 850 and using the shaft optimizer. My numbers were 6i 87/4-2-4-4. I've never tried that system before and was always curious what those numbers would be, particularly the release number. My recommended shafts were DG S300, PX 5.5, KBS Tour S. For some reason I struggled with all those shafts. I could not turn the club head over and was pushing everything right. I think rust played a part here a bit, but they all felt a little heavy. I tired out pretty fast too. I averaged about 165 with the 7 when I did hit it well. The club head felt great though. The 850 appeared to be the biggest blade of all three. The blade length appeared to be just slightly longer than the cf16.

I tried the cf16 next in stock shaft. I was surprised how much I liked the shaft. I was hitting the 7 170 avg. My current 7 is 152. My 7 is 4* weaker though. I tried the ctaper lite next and didn't hit it as well as the stock xp95. Tried the recoil 680 f4 next and was quite shocked how much I liked it. I was averaging about 2 yards longer than the stock xp95.

On to the VPC next in stock DG Pro S. I was averaging 165 with the 7. I could only try this with the stock shaft and I did like the shaft quite a bit even though it is heavier than what I was trying in the cf16.

I will say that I wasn't paying much attention to the numbers for spin and peak height. I was checking here and there but was enjoying just hitting the clubs and trying to get a feel for them. I've never found that my spin numbers are drastically different from one shaft to another unless it's totally a wrong shaft for me. For the most part the numbers are pretty similar for me. In the past anyways.

I could honestly game all three irons. I found the cf16 felt the softest overall (maybe due to the recoil) and then the 850 followed by the VPC. They all felt great though. The VPC had a really nice crisp feel to it off the face that really stuck in my mind. Afterwards I was looking at the lofts and the cf16 7 is 3* stronger then the VPC 7. That was pretty intriguing considering I was only averaging 5 yards less compared to the cf16 in the xp95 and 7 less the the recoil.

I have confirmed that I seem to be liking a lighter shafts compared to what I used to like. I switched to a Titleist 915D2 last year and it has a lighter shaft and overall SW then what I was playing before. I had great success with it last year. I do have left shoulder problems and wrist problems so it could be the heavier weights are just harder on me now.

Based off overall feel and distances my first choice would be the cf16. I even considered ordering the original apex forged in the recoils from Cally Preowned, but then I saw the comparison pics between the new and old and really prefer the overall head shape of the new. They are so expensive though. $1699 CAD plus tax in the recoils. Ouch!

I'm going to head back next week to hit them again and pay closer attention to the spin, launch and peek height numbers. My swing will feel a little less alien the second time around hopefully. I'm also going to throw in the Cobra King Forged Tec iron. I really liked the look of these and their profile was right in line with the cf16 and 850. I'm heading down south in mid march and will have lots of time to golf. It's a perfect time to get my new iron distances dialled in, so I'm good to go at the beginning of the season here. I want to make sure I make a decision and have the new sticks here before then.

That was a nice write up. In the little time I got to demo them the CF16's are great clubs. I definitely think they are one of the best looking irons out there.

Back