Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I got a chance to hit the CF16 with a DG Pro and was really impressed. However, when I looked on Callaways website the DG Pro is not offered for the CF but it is for the CF Pro. Had hoped it was a no up charge shaft. Never dealt with Callaway but think it may be something they would reconsider?

I got a chance to hit the CF16 with a DG Pro and was really impressed. However, when I looked on Callaways website the DG Pro is not offered for the CF but it is for the CF Pro. Had hoped it was a no up charge shaft. Never dealt with Callaway but think it may be something they would reconsider?
If it's the same tip should not be a problem, I had the same issue with the XP105. It was available for the Pro only. CF is a parallel hosel and they will not shim if shaft is only available tappered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If it's the same tip should not be a problem, I had the same issue with the XP105. It was available for the Pro only. CF is a parallel hosel and they will not shim if shaft is only available tappered.

Actually, FWIW, they will install taper tips in the CF. Also, the hosel is designed so they don't have to shim, the bottom of the bore will accommodate a taper tip shaft and a collared ferrule is used to ensure the fit.

I was at my local shop today and was working on my swing and decided to piece a 7 iron with the pro head together from the fitting cart. I was just working on setup and whatnot and hitting into a net, but these felt fantastic! I was hitting it square and it seemed to be catapulting off the face. I did hit a couple of thin shots which weren't pleasant feeling but I wouldn't think this iron should. I'll give both sets more swings when the weather warms up and I can get outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, FWIW, they will install taper tips in the CF. Also, the hosel is designed so they don't have to shim, the bottom of the bore will accommodate a taper tip shaft and a collared ferrule is used to ensure the fit.
Not what I was told when I called. I even ran it by Nate first. He said to ask nicely, when I asked was told no can do.

Not what I was told when I called. I even ran it by Nate first. He said to ask nicely, when I asked was told no can do.
Hmmmmm, not how I've had it explained to me either, but who knows! Particularly strange since shafts like the recoil 110s are .355 but options in the CF16s, and my PXi are too I believe.

Played some ice cold golf today but the CF16 were red hot, still felt so good out there, I left the big dogs at home and hit irons and 4 hybrid on the tundra. Balls still felt great off the face and had a few toe misses( if you can call them that) that still flew really nice and you think you caught it pretty nice until you see the ball mark and go 'wow, that was the toe!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played some ice cold golf today but the CF16 were red hot, still felt so good out there, I left the big dogs at home and hit irons and 4 hybrid on the tundra. Balls still felt great off the face and had a few toe misses( if you can call them that) that still flew really nice and you think you caught it pretty nice until you see the ball mark and go 'wow, that was the toe!'

Nice my friend! I finally had these back in the bag today as well and it was like coming home. I don't think I have ever had a set which were ac comfortable for me as this.

Nice my friend! I finally had these back in the bag today as well and it was like coming home. I don't think I have ever had a set which were ac comfortable for me as this.

Couldn't agree more, and I cannot wait to put full spring swings in when the ground gets receptive again, I have a feeling 2016 golf is going to be incredible with these!

Hmmmmm, not how I've had it explained to me either, but who knows! Particularly strange since shafts like the recoil 110s are .355 but options in the CF16s, and my PXi are too I believe.
I'm gonna call them again tomorrow see if they can explain why I couldn't get them originally. Worst case reshaft myself, but I'm growing fond of the XP95.

I'm hitting the heated range tomorrow and I'm excited to get to swing these clubs again. The way these feel when striking a ball is an addicting feeling and one that has been too long since I've felt. I really can't wait for this golf season to see how much better I score with these irons in the bag.

Had an opportunity to hit the 7 iron indoors today. When others were trying out for the first time, did you seem to gain a good bit of distance for the club of choice. I was hitting the Apex CF 7 iron the same distance as the Mizuno MP-15/AP2/Srixon 545. The ball seemed to just scream off the face of the club, without losing any ball speed, maintaining spin, and keeping a good descent angle. Color me very impressed with the 7 iron at least.

Just looked at mine in my basement again. I'm dying for the weather to break so I can get outside with these again. I was hitting them so well last year, it was like a big tease having to put them up for the season. Just felt so confident with them.

Just looked at mine in my basement again. I'm dying for the weather to break so I can get outside with these again. I was hitting them so well last year, it was like a big tease having to put them up for the season. Just felt so confident with them.

These really fit you well. Some solid iron strikes out of you the whole time in Cali.

I'm getting out tomorrow for the first time in 3weeks. I can't wait to take some swings with these again.

These really fit you well. Some solid iron strikes out of you the whole time in Cali.

I'm getting out tomorrow for the first time in 3weeks. I can't wait to take some swings with these again.

You were hitting them pretty well yourself. Wish I was getting out. Envious of ya. Hit em well and I'm sure I'll hear you in here reaffirming how solid these are.

I hit the demo 7 iron at the outdoor range today. They only had the 85g Recoil so I tried the XP95 steel shaft. Crazy long. Nice high flight with great dispersion. I played the Apex Pros for a couple of seasons and these are definitely firmer. Don't really have that soft forged feel IMO. So easy to hit though. They do feel like they might be hard to control due to their explosiveness. I would give these a serious look if I was looking for a distance iron.

The forgiveness of these is amazing. Today in my match against Kang I hit the 8 iron way out on the toe and it only wound up about 7 yards short if normal distance. When Kang and I saw the ball mark on the club we were shocked how far it went

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Played well with these irons today, but my shoulder is already killing me from hitting the rebar (Nippon Modus Tour 130s) that Ron put in them.

I think I'm going to go with Steelfiber i95s in them to reduce the fatigue factor & quit beating up my joints.

What size tips do they take? .370?

Got out yesterday for 27 holes, ground thawed out enough holes 24-27 to actually throw a ball at a green, which was an awesome feeling, bump and run on frozen greens gets old fast. These irons were rock solid all day but ending my day throwing a dart into a green with a 8 iron and the ball checking within a foot and a half of the pitch mark felt great, not ultra close to the pin as I got about half a club more distance than I thought I would into the wind but held the green regardless. Oh and it's winter golf so I'm playing cheaper bright orange Maxfli SoftFlis, and still held the ball right in check. Final hole par 3, Pitching Wedge front 1/3 of the green and held nicely. These irons feel so good and it was a nice surprise for me that the ground thawed out enough to at least get a couple shots into greens instead of the typical winter golf strategy of Punch,Bump and Run.

Got in another round Saturday in very wet conditions (no rain during the round, but plenty of rain from the night before) and a short range session yesterday.

Really love these irons, they look is great and perform damn good. Didn't have as many thins as I had last week, but if I made a decent pass at the ball these gave me great results.

Can't wait to get some decent conditions to really try these out.

I pulled the trigger ordered my Apex's today:

5-AW
Dynamic Gold SL S300
Golf Pride Plus 4- Grey
+1/4
2 UP
1 Strong

So fired up...

Dax

I love my Aex14s with Recoil95 F3 shafts. I really love the Apex CF16s but will probably be foregoing their acquisition until such time as Callaway changes their goofy shaft policy. I had wanted to acquire the CF16s with slightly lighter shafts. Specifically, I had wanted them shafted with the Recoil 780s in the F3 flex. Alas, Callaway has decided to only offer the 780s in the F4 and F5 flexes. I know UST offers the 780s in an F3 flex. I know that I could spend even more money to have a brand new set of irons reshafted. I want to discover if there is some secret password or handshake that needs to be used to convince Callaway to build a set of Apex CF16s using the Recoil 780s in an F3 flex.

I love my Aex14s with Recoil95 F3 shafts. I really love the Apex CF16s but will probably be foregoing their acquisition until such time as Callaway changes their goofy shaft policy. I had wanted to acquire the CF16s with slightly lighter shafts. Specifically, I had wanted them shafted with the Recoil 780s in the F3 flex. Alas, Callaway has decided to only offer the 780s in the F4 and F5 flexes. I know UST offers the 780s in an F3 flex. I know that I could spend even more money to have a brand new set of irons reshafted. I want to discover if there is some secret password or handshake that needs to be used to convince Callaway to build a set of Apex CF16s using the Recoil 780s in an F3 flex.

Call Callaway customer service and ask for Tad, he has made a few non-conventional setups happen for me in the past.

My Apex's shipped today... Call Brian at Callaway, if you need something special, he really hooked me up...

Dax

My Apex's shipped today... Call Brian at Callaway, if you need something special, he really hooked me up...

Dax

Nice what is the ETA on delivery?

Back