Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I am currently playing graphite but have been experimenting with light steel shafts like the XP95s. I find them to be pretty easy on the elbows too. Seriously considering some Apex Pro 16s with XP 105s at the moment...

I have the XP95s with the Sensicore inserts ($28) and I really enjoy them!

I have been real pleasantly surprised with the Recoil 110s. I had intended to get the 95s, but since I ordered a stiff shaft it comes with the 110s. From a control standpoint I think I need the heavier shaft. Seem to feel the club head better, and having better results especially with 3/4 and punch shots. And that is without losing any distance on full shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the weather gets warmer and I'm getting more and more familiar with these irons I'm starting to see a little uptick in distance with just about each iron. It's sort of tough to tell with today's wind but I'm starting to see myself missing long. Not by much and not a bad thing by any means, just something I need to keep an eye on. I had a friend tell me today that this is the best contact he's ever seen me have with any clubs and we've played a lot of golf together

I think these irons are going to be a must try before buying my next set!

Warmed up today so I took the PW in the backyard to swing. The pxi 6.0's feel smooth and really good with my tempo. I can't wait to see the ball flight with them.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Just signed up for a Callaway fitting for 4/17. Really looking forward to trying the Apex CF16's! That same weekend I'm hitting the Srixon 355's & the Wilson Staff C200's. These are the 3 sets that have grabbed my attention from THP reviews, so I'm thankful to get a chance to compare them at the same place under (hopefully) the same conditions!

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Played my second round in two days with these and my love for the these just keeps on growing. I loved these from the moment I received them but right now I am at the stage where the confidence is sky high no matter what iron is in my hand

Just signed up for a Callaway fitting for 4/17. Really looking forward to trying the Apex CF16's! That same weekend I'm hitting the Srixon 355's & the Wilson Staff C200's. These are the 3 sets that have grabbed my attention from THP reviews, so I'm thankful to get a chance to compare them at the same place under (hopefully) the same conditions!

Really looking forward to your feedback. I couldn't wait and ordered the Apex but really wanted to try the C200s too.

Received my reshafted CFs. Hoping to get them on the course tomorrow, weather permitting.

c1c196008a93926efa5206e899e7fa6d.jpg

6cc7c4b512186ea2ab7faae200e2afef.jpg

bee7424288eb96b6bac072cb5aff8f35.jpg

Four rounds with these this week and could not be more pleased. Can't beat the feel or ball flight.

Received my reshafted CFs. Hoping to get them on the course tomorrow, weather permitting.

c1c196008a93926efa5206e899e7fa6d.jpg

6cc7c4b512186ea2ab7faae200e2afef.jpg

bee7424288eb96b6bac072cb5aff8f35.jpg
Turned out great! Take any swings yet? How they feel?

Turned out great! Take any swings yet? How they feel?
Unfortunately, they were delivered after I had already headed for the dome. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Unfortunately, they were delivered after I had already headed for the dome. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Excited to hear your thoughts dude. You had recoils before these right?

He will like these way more than the recoils he had IMO

Yep, had the regular 110s in the CFs prior. I'm excited to get them in the bag for some swings.

Yep, had the regular 110s in the CFs prior. I'm excited to get them in the bag for some swings.
I'm very interested to see your results too. Going from 110 reg to 95g stiff. Lighter but stiffer. How exciting!

I believe so too. Program f15 are fantastic
The f15 I hit in your pxg were easily the best graphite iron shaft Ive ever hit.

The f15 I hit in your pxg were easily the best graphite iron shaft Ive ever hit.
Those were 95g x. But to get back on topic, the results with apex cf heads with different shafts will be a great comparison

I'm very interested to see your results too. Going from 110 reg to 95g stiff. Lighter but stiffer. How exciting!

My bad, just to clarify, I had the 110s in F4 "regular version" rather than the Proto version (had those in the OG Apex).

My bad, just to clarify, I had the 110s in F4 "regular version" rather than the Proto version (had those in the OG Apex).
Ah. Now I see said the blind man lol. I really think you'll pick up some SS and improve dispersion with f15

I've said it 1,000,000 times, and will again, coming back to these after working out other irons for reviews is always like coming home. The feel, the sound, the look, the ball flight, the distance, its all there and truly fit by the best in the business to me.

Welp, went and had a nice fitting with a local pro. Finished up going with these bad boys. Then Mr. Taxman came calling and wiped out every penny of my new iron fund, so I get to sit around for a little while longer and dream until I can build the fund back up. The waiting.....

Didn't score well yesterday but I hit these bad boys pretty well. My intuition on which club to use is coming around and it feels great. It feels so good to start loving them. They feel, sound, look and perform so well. Can't wait to swing them again.

I went to the Callaway demo day in my area (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) this weekend. It was held at a large golf retailer, together with a Wilson demo day. I called in advance, about a week before, to see if it was necessary to book a time slot. The store said this wasn't necessary. When I arrived there were 2 reps from Callaway, they didn't have any customers. The Wilson rep (1 guy) was busy, he actually had a waiting line.

I decided to try the CF 16 first. The Callaway rep that helped me was a young guy, cocky, arrogant even. He asked me what my handicap was. I told him what my handicap was and that I wanted to try the CF 16s. He advised me to first try the new XR OS instead. I tried them and didn't like the feedback on impact, quite hard. Then he let me try the XR Pro. Didn't like them either. I asked him if we could use the flightscope. He said it wasn't connected. Then a store rep came and said it is working just needed to be hooked up. Finally the young guy let me try the CF 16, 7-iron graphite shaft. It was very nice at impact, and the ball flight was great. According to Flightscope, 150 meters carry with good dispersion, with the XR OS it was 130 meters with bad dispersion. I asked him if I could try another loft CF 16, or any other loft. He said it was 7 iron only and that that was normal for demo days. Ok.

I was already ticked off by this point. Maybe he doesn't want to sell. Or maybe he wants to help other customers (there weren't any other for Callaway). Overall a bad experience. I told him I would try the Wilson C200 next first and come back later. The Wilson waiting line was still there and after 45 minutes waiting I gave up. Frustrating if you read about them on THP since January 1st and then finally the demo day comes and you can't hit them.

A friend of mine called me while I was at the store, he is also interested in the CF 16s. He wanted me to ask for the price of the CF 16, maybe we could get a deal if bought together. The young guy from Callaway and the other Callaway rep were nowhere to be seen. Nobody testing the Callaways. I waited for close to 10 minutes, then they returned from outside the store. I guess they went for a smoke or I don't know what. I asked for a price on the CF16s, for me and a friend. He said Euro 171 per club, which is list price over here. That was it for me.

A total disappointment this was for me. It's a shame I didn't get to try the Wilson C200s, but I had to go and by that time I was just so annoyed by the Callaway rep. I don't understand this attitude. I will take my business somewhere else now and also my friend. I read about golf companies and golf retailers having hard times, I understand why. In the end I liked hitting the 7i CF16, but with this kind of treatment I am not spending my money (I am an impulse buyer but wanted to get a good fit at the demo day, to me it was obvious the rep had no interest in selling to me and wasn't able to provide a good fitting experience).

You might think stop complaining or go to another thread. But I actually liked the reviews about the CF 16 and I liked hitting that 7-iron. But if this is how Callaway expects to sell to me- maybe it was because I was a high handicapper - then my money goes somewhere else. I try and find a brand that still has genuine interest in their customers. Shame I didn't get to hit the C200 but I was no longer in a mood anyway to test them.

Back