Callaway Apex CF16 or XR OS?

CSwinton

Reaction score
I realize these two iron sets are quite different.. Here's the background. I am getting back into golf after having a hip replacement (I'm only 40..) and am looking for some new clubs. I played a lot growing up but am starting as a relative beginner. I want forgiving clubs (I need all the help I can get) but also want something I can grow into that I won't feel the need to replace soon.

I've hit with the XR OS irons at the range as well as in the shop. They felt really good. I've only briefly hit with the CF16s but I liked the feel a bit better and I LOVE the look. I haven't hit enough to get a feel for the forgiveness. Would I be giving up a ton of forgiveness by going with the CF16s? Would it be a mistake to get those as a rusty player coming back after 15 years?

Part of me thinks I should save the $ and get the more forgiving club knowing I can upgrade when I'm playing better but my ego and love of the club appearance wants the CF16s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to leave the ego at home when buying new clubs. You also need to hit both, and preferably get a fitting. The CF16's are a great looking and feeling club and I got fitted to these with the XP95 shafts. Then when I changed my mind and decided I needed graphite for my aches and pains, these just didn't work for me and ended up with a set of AP1's. There's a lot of positive comments about these clubs here at the minute, but that doesn't mean they are for everyone. That's my 10 pence worth.

Mark - I did get fit but the CF16 wasn't among those I tried. I tried the XR OS, AP1's, Ping G's, and a TM club (forget which). The XR OS was my favorite of those and had the best results with the stiff steel shaft. Those are what I've been planning on buying.

Have you hit the regular XRs? Maybe in between the two, having pretty similar features to the OS but in a size in between them and the Apex. Probably depends on what your launch and carry numbers look like to a degree. Both of the XR lines will probably launch slightly higher, which may help with your carry distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark - I did get fit but the CF16 wasn't among those I tried. I tried the XR OS, AP1's, Ping G's, and a TM club (forget which). The XR OS was my favorite of those and had the best results with the stiff steel shaft. Those are what I've been planning on buying.

Well, you should definitely try and get a session with a fitter to try the CF16's, because if they work for you, they are certainly a great feeling club.

Before the rest of my brethren of Apex Nation chime in, and opine our undying devotion to all things Apex CF16. I'll say that I hit both the Apex CF16 and the XR OS at my fitting, both are rock solid choices.

My decision came down to feel (liked the feeling of a pured strike with the Apex better) and the performance of a miss low on the face (Apex was better). I was looking for a lower more penetrating ball flight than I had with my old X2 Hots, and I found it with the Apex.

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a direct comparison to the XR and Apex (1st Gen) Apex felt better but XR performed allot better for me. Definitely more consistent. Although the new Apex are better I'm sure I think there is some added forgiveness in the XR profile that you just cant get in the Apex profile as good as the Apex is for what it is. If forgiveness is what you seek you will not be disappointed in the XR or XR OS although maybe the standard XR is a good compromise from a look standpoint and Callaway Preowned has some really great deals on Like New Sets and yes they can adjust to your specs from your fitting. Good Luck

Back