Callaway Apex MB Irons

Too wet and cold for much work with these but tried some of my swing drills with the PW vs the Jaws Raw 52 and also with the 7i.

PW is noticeable in being smaller than the Raw (eek) but for some reason swings smoother. This was the same with the 7i. Difficult to explain but, especially through what would be contact, they just felt more balanced and easier to swing on line. Plus felt no different swinging easy vs hard.

The shaft is much heavier than my Steelfibers (and the Jaws has a Nippon 950) and I've hated heavy shafts in the past but these Nippon Modus 120s seem to balance really well. I'm guessing they are D2 from the specs I've seen which is the same as my Epic Forged, so maybe down to the unique bend profile of the shaft?

We will see when I try and put a ball in the way... more to come!

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Still no range or course work with the new PW, 9, 8 or 7 - though the PW made it into the bag for the 12 holes on Sunday to replace the AW (I had 2 x PWs in the bag 5* different in loft) but it did not get used.

Lesson next week so will take these with me to the range to do some initial testing just to see how the shaft and head work with my swing and to get some comparison distances with my wedges and other irons.

I'm integrating these into my regular home practice routine and tried hitting one of the dimpled foam Callaway balls with the 9i. It was interesting in that I thought I could feel the ball work it's way up the face as I hit it???? Either these have amazing feel off the face or I was imagining it - who knows but it was a strange feeling of real ball club contact.

A

9CF1977C-A7BF-4093-8465-6D8FF15C74D5.jpeg

You getting along with the new sticks?
Hard to tell. I like them on the sim. Have not gotten to go outside because of snow, snow snows..

Hard to tell. I like them on the sim. Have not gotten to go outside because of snow, snow snows..
Yeah that sucks. This winter kind of does in general.

Numbers indoors similar to what you saw at your fitting?

I go back and forth with these and my TCB and T100S. All great irons. I cannot tell of I like these or my TCB more.

I go back and forth with these and my TCB and T100S. All great irons. I cannot tell of I like these or my TCB more.
That's why they kept creeping in on my TCBs. I'd only be playing the MB gap wedge, and then a few weeks later I'd look at my bag and it'd be through the 7.

Finally got a change to hit a few of the PW, 9i and 7i on the range and during a lesson last night. A few observations:

• It took a few swings to get some rhythm going (probably due to the significantly heavier shafts (Modus 120s vs my normal Steefiber FC90 in my Epic Forged). Though I believe both are set up at D2 from a balance perspective
  • Once I got into a bit of a groove, I was amazed at how easy to hit these were considering all the anti-hype around blades (first time I've every hit blades)
  • Distance consistency on a reasonable strike was great, dispersion according the the GCQuad was around 1-2 yards for both the PW and the 7i. Distance dispersion is the key think I'm looking for.
  • Bad hits were less bad than I expected. I was working on my swing so less worried about the impact of the bad swings.
  • The 7i was carrying around 15 yards less than my EF 7i which if it stays there would be spot on and might make me think about replacing my AW, PW, 9i, 8i in EF with the MB in PW, 9i, 8i, 7i. This eventually would give me an interesting combo set of 4i-7i in EF, 7i-PW in Apex MB and 50, 54, 58 in Jaws Raw. That's an end of Season goal.
  • Plan is to put the MB PW in play first and then slowly work through to 9i, and 8i.
  • Given this session I might add the 7i to the mix.:devilish:

Will see how I progress over the next month or two with this plan.

A

Finally got a change to hit a few of the PW, 9i and 7i on the range and during a lesson last night. A few observations:

• It took a few swings to get some rhythm going (probably due to the significantly heavier shafts (Modus 120s vs my normal Steefiber FC90 in my Epic Forged). Though I believe both are set up at D2 from a balance perspective
  • Once I got into a bit of a groove, I was amazed at how easy to hit these were considering all the anti-hype around blades (first time I've every hit blades)
  • Distance consistency on a reasonable strike was great, dispersion according the the GCQuad was around 1-2 yards for both the PW and the 7i. Distance dispersion is the key think I'm looking for.
  • Bad hits were less bad than I expected. I was working on my swing so less worried about the impact of the bad swings.
  • The 7i was carrying around 15 yards less than my EF 7i which if it stays there would be spot on and might make me think about replacing my AW, PW, 9i, 8i in EF with the MB in PW, 9i, 8i, 7i. This eventually would give me an interesting combo set of 4i-7i in EF, 7i-PW in Apex MB and 50, 54, 58 in Jaws Raw. That's an end of Season goal.
  • Plan is to put the MB PW in play first and then slowly work through to 9i, and 8i.
  • Given this session I might add the 7i to the mix.:devilish:

Will see how I progress over the next month or two with this plan.

A

Have you hit regular Apexs like say the 21s? If so what’s your thoughts on the difference? Impact, control, forgiveness, etc?

Have you hit regular Apexs like say the 21s? If so what’s your thoughts on the difference? Impact, control, forgiveness, etc?
I'm afraid not... my previous set of Irons were Callaway Big Bertha Golds from the late 1990s I think...

The Epic Forged are the only set of modern irons I've tried outside of the MBs.

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Back