Callaway Apex MB Irons

Look what arrived in time for the weekend (y)

5DDA6F5E-F8A6-4A9C-94F7-2230A174AAEE.jpeg

kinda wish I went with these over the x forged cb

I’m really struggling with do I go with combo set (CB 4-7; MB 8-PW) or full CB 4-PW. I listened to the Callaway podcast again this morning as well as another YouTube video and they both made it out that to play the MB’s you have to be a pro or near pro. As a ~7 HC, I played the Apex Pros all of 2020 and previous set was Srixon combo 565/765/965 with no issues.

Everything I have read is both irons are good, workable and the CB’s are better than the 2019 Apex Pros in forgiveness and distance consistency.

I am curious why you are thinking of the MB’s now in retrospect. I am not getting any younger and a little bit of forgiveness wouldn’t hurt. Appreciate thoughts.

I will give Callaway credit. I called them Wednesday, and they insisted sending it next day air. It got built Thursday, in my hands today. I said it wasn't necessary to overnight, they went for it.

I will give Callaway credit. I called them Wednesday, and they insisted sending it next day air. It got built Thursday, in my hands today. I said it wasn't necessary to overnight, they went for it.
Out.Standing! I was worried I was gonna have to make all the MF'ing AW shots by myself. That'salotofpressure! :LOL:. Good on the guys at Callaway.

Also, I do this thing where I order a backup of a club I really like, long before it needs to be replaced. .... 🤐

Did you get to keep the extra 9 or is that on its way back home? :)

Did you get to keep the extra 9 or is that on its way back home? :)

It’s on the way back. I trolled them lightly by sending it in a Cleveland box. That will teach them. 🙃

I was hoping the rep would read my mind and comp me a XForged 5i & 6i to tinker with. You know, for my emotional trauma :D.

Strangely telepathy failed!

It’s on the way back. I trolled them lightly by sending it in a Cleveland box. That will teach them. 🙃

I was hoping the rep would read my mind and comp me a XForged 5i & 6i to tinker with. You know, for my emotional trauma :D.

Strangely telepathy failed!

Damn that inconsistent telepathy. When are they going to get that fixed? :cool:

I’m really struggling with do I go with combo set (CB 4-7; MB 8-PW) or full CB 4-PW. I listened to the Callaway podcast again this morning as well as another YouTube video and they both made it out that to play the MB’s you have to be a pro or near pro. As a ~7 HC, I played the Apex Pros all of 2020 and previous set was Srixon combo 565/765/965 with no issues.

Everything I have read is both irons are good, workable and the CB’s are better than the 2019 Apex Pros in forgiveness and distance consistency.

I am curious why you are thinking of the MB’s now in retrospect. I am not getting any younger and a little bit of forgiveness wouldn’t hurt. Appreciate thoughts.
completely subjective but I just like the feel, sound, turf interaction of a blade. nothing really against the CB at all.

It's still soft here, so I'm curious to get into some turf with these today and try a few shots I wouldn't do with some others and see some spin reactions.

It's still soft here, so I'm curious to get into some turf with these today and try a few shots I wouldn't do with some others and see some spin reactions.

Go get it! Its cold here and not much opportunity to get on course with 37* and rain over the weekend. Still just the one round on mine... I'm jonesing a little.

Go get it! Its cold here and not much opportunity to get on course with 37* and rain over the weekend. Still just the one round on mine... I'm jonesing a little.
You should be. I just stuck a flighted Apex PW into the wind on #1 for a birdie start. :p

These have been a little left out lately, so I cleaned them up and am taking them out on a date today. See if they'll be happy to see me or just make me feel 20 years older. Still cool and soft here so the feedback should be stellar. :LOL:

Love putting them in the bag, every time. They look good. Makes me excited to play.

B5B birdies to start today with these.

B

B

Just unbelievable feel and control. Scalpels in the wet conditions. I should make a highlight reel of that because it was GD ridiculous. Easy swinging, pin seeking, darts. Completely in love with these clubs.

They stand out/get noticed too. Every time I have them in the bag someone asks about them or takes a peek when they think my friends or I can't see them. :LOL:

Last edited:
Quick tour update we received. Emiliano Grillo who is leading by 4 right now was one of the first players to make the switch to these irons. He splits them with Apex Pro 19 irons (4-6).

That's awesome. I've been trying set up my Apex Pro for 4-5, and maybe 6 depending on course (have 6-A of the MB's), but am waiting on IO long iron shafts. Tried a bunch of heads and numbers worked best with an Apex Pro combo, despite me thinking I had retired them.

That's awesome. I've been trying set up my Apex Pro for 4-5, and maybe 6 depending on course (have 6-A of the MB's), but am waiting on IO long iron shafts. Tried a bunch of heads and numbers worked best with an Apex Pro combo, despite me thinking I had retired them.

‘I looked into 8i-9i MB’s since I played the Nike forged pro MB’s fine....but i digressed :(

‘I looked into 8i-9i MB’s since I played the Nike forged pro MB’s fine....but i digressed :(
Digressed in thinking, or playing? :LOL:

I freaking love the short iron flights with them. Anyone who's seen me play knows I prefer to flight down scoring clubs over launching them into the elements and the control on that with these is second to none. And they're not crazy tiny, imo. I've let a bunch of people try them and most haven't had much of an issue with the idea of playing a few of the shorter ones. Actual course results are different than theoreticals though.

The AW might just need to join every other set I have, for every round. I don't know that I own a better club.

Love reading your updates in here @OldandStiff . We are getting a stormy grab bag of winter mix potpourri up here today, and I still have just the single round on mine almost a month ago now. Might be a minute until I get to play these again, but appreciate the discussion.

Digressed in thinking, or playing? :LOL:

I freaking love the short iron flights with them. Anyone who's seen me play knows I prefer to flight down scoring clubs over launching them into the elements and the control on that with these is second to none. And they're not crazy tiny, imo. I've let a bunch of people try them and most haven't had much of an issue with the idea of playing a few of the shorter ones. Actual course results are different than theoreticals though.

The AW might just need to join every other set I have, for every round. I don't know that I own a better club.

digressed as in i didn't grab them this past week ;)...i liked playing the blades i had (the nike forged pro combos had them in 8i - PW)...as long as i didn't try and murder the ball, i hit them fine.

This may be my next set 6-PW with this shaft shown. Anyone playing this shaft?

2F1BE20F-E2C6-41E4-8481-9878EC8DE0D3.jpeg

This may be my next set 6-PW with this shaft shown. Anyone playing this shaft?

View attachment 8977906

i played the 950gh before the neo. absolutely love it. maybe even more than modus. super smooth, very responsive. not for the super aggressive swinger who wants rebar.

i played the 950gh before the neo. absolutely love it. maybe even more than modus. super smooth, very responsive. not for the super aggressive swinger who wants rebar.
Thank you for the response, I’m no where near an aggressive swinger so this is what I’m thinking.

Back