Callaway Apex MB Irons

I tell you what, these things are torture sitting in a corner waiting for the snow to melt. One round in November was simply not enough !

Ever get that one piece of fried chicken in the bucket that is just absolutely extra extra crispy?

yeah thats what these irons are. Heres a 4 iron for you.

29FD6A4C-21B5-4682-8F5F-C86B303148AE.jpeg

First 9 holes out this morning with these. Talking strictly the heads only here (because its easy to start talking too much about shaft and/or combination of head and shaft)....

Looks - these are beautiful. They are small but beautiful. Confident when looking down? Depends on if you play MB's or not. The 4-iron is a bit daunting when looking down at it (see pic above). I love the satin finish over the chrome from the last iteration.

Feel/Sound - I'll put these together. Absolute crispiness. They feel like butter when struck well. When not, you'll know. OH BABY YOU'LL freaking know. However, surprisingly they are little more forgiving than some other blades I've skulled (take this statement with a grain of salt lol). These sound amazing off a well struck hit. Absolutely addicting.

Workability - these are really easy to flight down, take high over trees, draw, fade....typical players MB.

More to come. Will try to get some range time as well.

These irons are demanding. Bit of a rough morning round today.

I got mine out once last week but I'm looking forward to the Apex Pros arriving Monday so I will want to get these back out there regularly again in that combo. I think it's interesting that when conditions are truly terrible and little things matter more, I tend to bring these clubs.

Much better ball striking today. But the long irons could still use a bit more forgiveness. I am playing in 30* weather though.... @OldandStiff really pondering the Apex Pros to blend at the top.

Much better ball striking today. But the long irons could still use a bit more forgiveness. I am playing in 30* weather though.... @OldandStiff really pondering the Apex Pros to blend at the top.
See that's the thing. I can play full set blades fine, but the 'demands' in demanding long irons can really show up when I don't have it that day physically, or playing with a frozen ball and a bunch of layers, or from a crap bermuda lie. It's just a lot of work sometimes. Great when it's there, not when it isn't. I'm fine blading it through the 6i on most courses. After that I want to be able to dig it out AND get it up and actually go. My order gets here a little later, but early returns on shape and flight blending with the MB's looks pretty good.

Last edited:
I could not resist. After Playing the Pros last year and wanting less flash face thwack in the 6 and 7 iron and more feel in the bottom I ordered a set of these up. I did not read through this before ordering but I might have missed out on the M F'ing A wedge. I have always played vokeys from 46 -58 or 60 but opted for the PW here, just never accrued to me the A wedge was worth it........ I might be wrong!! might have to pick one up...... for testing... of course. Going with project X LZ shaft from the normal Project X I have been playing so we will see if there is much difference.

I could not resist. After Playing the Pros last year and wanting less flash face thwack in the 6 and 7 iron and more feel in the bottom I ordered a set of these up. I did not read through this before ordering but I might have missed out on the M F'ing A wedge. I have always played vokeys from 46 -58 or 60 but opted for the PW here, just never accrued to me the A wedge was worth it........ I might be wrong!! might have to pick one up...... for testing... of course. Going with project X LZ shaft from the normal Project X I have been playing so we will see if there is much difference.
Heck of a buy! Curious to hear your thoughts on the shafts if the LZ's are new to you once you hit them.

Don't worry about the MF'ing A wedge. :LOL: It's all personal preference, and I like that it's a real low bounce, thin sole A that I can knock down easily. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Vokey pairing, too. It's something I've struggled with. I play them a lot with other sets, but the sole change is pretty dramatic into an SM8 for me on full swings (I'd post a picture but I think I've passed my nightly quota, lol). I actually liked the SM7's a little better on that. So I've been playing other ones with this set. Shouldn't be an issue for you if you're used to playing them down to 46.

I can't imagine these are backordered, so when did it say you'd get them?!

Last edited:
They said about a week till they are in my hands. Hopefully that is the case and I do not get back burnered with all the Apex builds going on at the moment.

I will make sure to report back on the Vokey blending, but I went with the SM7 again this year because I could get them at 40 bucks off each, and they worked great last year so if it is not broke..... Plus the that L grind in the 58 is my jam and with the SM8 I was told I have to go to 60 to get it, figured I would wait till next year to change that part of the bag up and save a few bucks in the process.

They said about a week till they are in my hands. Hopefully that is the case and I do not get back burnered with all the Apex builds going on at the moment.

I will make sure to report back on the Vokey blending, but I went with the SM7 again this year because I could get them at 40 bucks off each, and they worked great last year so if it is not broke..... Plus the that L grind in the 58 is my jam and with the SM8 I was told I have to go to 60 to get it, figured I would wait till next year to change that part of the bag up and save a few bucks in the process.
They pushed out my favorite M Grind by 2* too in the SM8's. Sounds like you'll get them soon!! :)

I'm really close to ordering 8-pw in the mb's. Currently bagging the 19 apex pro double dots and they feel amazing. However, I just need to scratch an itch with these mb's. I think that would be a pretty sick pairing. The double dot soles are nice and compact and actually have some camber, which I need especially in mid irons.

Well I have been upgraded to....backordered. Hopefully not for long they say shipping the 22nd now.
That seems to be their process for some reason, so hopefully it all works out like it has for others.

Wrong thread

Not that I can go play them outdoors right now..... I just HATE waiting. Hopefully I do not get another delay.
1613524991144.png

Update: Got tired of the back order date kept moving farther out after the original time was 5-7 day. So I canceled my order on these and ended up with a set of MP20 MBs, hopefully I wont regret it. But I am going to Hawaii on vacation soon, so I wanted to get some practice in with new sticks before taking them on a trip and sold off the other set to guy at work.

Update: Got tired of the back order date kept moving farther out after the original time was 5-7 day. So I canceled my order on these and ended up with a set of MP20 MBs, hopefully I wont regret it. But I am going to Hawaii on vacation soon, so I wanted to get some practice in with new sticks before taking them on a trip and sold off the other set to guy at work.
MP20's are pretty sweet, but that's a shame. Hope you enjoy your trip and the golf you get to play.

Beware of gravel under fairway drainage. AW took one for the cause! #mvp #mfaw 🦾⛳

25B44FC9-2A8A-4E00-AC07-4BE6E97910D9.jpeg
I’m digging these a lot after a couple more rounds. Lovely irons. So solid.

Beware of gravel under fairway drainage. AW took one for the cause! #mvp #mfaw 🦾⛳

View attachment 9003574
I’m digging these a lot after a couple more rounds. Lovely irons. So solid.
Oh man!! I thought my rock gouges were bad. 😕. And the MF'ing A wedge????

Can't stay perfect forever, but dang.

Oh man!! I thought my rock gouges were bad. 😕. And the MF'ing A wedge????

Can't stay perfect forever, but dang.

I know, 3rd round. 🧐 Some irons sets stay pretty a long time, with these they were destined to be used hard from the first range session. I've decided its a badge of honor. AW throwing down as always.

Light ball peen session... ready to go.

8919F194-5CA8-488D-9FC2-BF5D688818A3.jpeg

Back