Callaway Apex Pro Series Irons

Assuming the comfort level to be equal out, is there one of the two that you think yields better proximity?
I think it’ll be a pretty dead heat, but, I do like the descent more on the 11 because it seems to mentally free me up a little at hitting SHOTS at pins rather than just trying to hit the ball of that makes sense. I like that I can hit it towering, or flat, so easily.

Given that they were not on the same day, variances of swing from one day to the next could bean that they are essentially identical. It is a fun comparison.
It very well could, it’s something I need to revisit.

But, as much a fan of the feel of the T100 as I am, the CB blow that out of the water.

The spin I expected for some reason. The ball speen is a little difference but the standard deviation on the MB is impressive
I didn’t get to spend a lot of time with the Pros, but from my limited experience one of the things that really stood out was the consistency in yardage. How far you hit it is how far you hit it, I wasn’t getting flyers that surprised me with 10-15 extra yards.

I didn’t get to spend a lot of time with the Pros, but from my limited experience one of the things that really stood out was the consistency in yardage. How far you hit it is how far you hit it, I wasn’t getting flyers that surprised me with 10-15 extra yards.
It’s staggering in my testing of the Pro’s before the CB’s arrived. Spincistency to a level I never anticipated.

It very well could, it’s something I need to revisit.

But, as much a fan of the feel of the T100 as I am, the CB blow that out of the water.
That is really something, then, because I love the T150s so much. I know that they are not the same as the 100s, but to think that the CBs are clearly better for you is saying a lot.

That is really something, then, because I love the T150s so much. I know that they are not the same as the 100s, but to think that the CBs are clearly better for you is saying a lot.
Feel wise specifically. Performance, both sets are absolutely killer.

Feel wise specifically. Performance, both sets are absolutely killer.
I thought that might be what you were referencing. Titleist has that Titleist feel/sound. Definitely not as soft/plush as some other offerings.

I thought that might be what you were referencing. Titleist has that Titleist feel/sound. Definitely not as soft/plush as some other offerings.
Totally agree, soft but firm. Here, I love that plush description. On the CB, I get it a lot, where as on the Pro for me it was more centralized on the better strikes personally.

I got out yesterday morning for the first time since my jaw surgery. I will say for certain, the distance on off enter hits were impressive :D, i was not t my best for the round. I shot 84 but it was a hard fought 84 for sure. I had a lot of good strikes b ut it was cold, i rode, not walked and we were off early in 40-ish degree temps. but i anted to play badly. Oddly enough the driver was putting me in decent spots, first hole was par 5 and i had too far left for a second so i played a 7 iron draw around the tree, actually drove it through the fairway, and i hit a toe shot that did not make it around the tree, BUT as i was driving up to it, it was further than i thought. Hit another 7 well into the center of the green. Felt better about that one from 165. Next was a shorter par 4 and i hit a 4 iron off the tee hoping for a 7 in from there, kinda raised up on it and hit it fat but it rolled out well l and a 6 iron was center of the green.
It went on from there for the day, great cooler weather and it seemed like there was just one bad shot a hole and then a better recovery. In almost every time i moss hit the ball it just seemed that when i drove up, was further than i thought and i was able to flip a wedge in to a good putting spot or center of the green recovery and two putt for a bogey .
Going to be getting out agin Saturday to Irving Golf Club this time, not a place i play a lot, and then try to get out with @Pops while he is here in Prosper for some more.

Round 2 with the Pros in the books. Rainy all day, but not quite hard enough to not play with rain gear. Steady drizzle to light rain, a few periods of just light mist between rain bands but never dry at all. Cart path only. May have only been the two of us playing most of it. Range closed. No starter. Most workers sent home, but we played. Was a lovely Irish summer day (around 70 degrees dropping to around 63 degrees by the end). Not ideal, but tolerable overall. Especially with FootJoy rain gloves, which are amazing, but I digress.

Can't say enough about the way these irons interact with the turf. Just so pure and perfect. In spite of the lack of warm and up and the weather, I played as good or better than I've done all year. We played shorter tees due to the conditions, but still. I love these irons. I hit one bad 6 iron off the tee on a short par 4, but was still left with a knock down 9 into the green. Came back next hole and striped a full 6 from the fairway to hit my 6th GIR in a row. I don't think I've EVER done that. A couple were wedges, but four of them at least were the Pros. Back nine only hit 3 GIR, but the misses were very small and left easy chances to get up and down. Only one double all day, on the 13th where I hit a perfect drive and had an 8 iron in to a back right pin. I had been getting a beautiful 3-5 yard baby draw all day with my irons, so I aimed at a greenside bunker to draw it back and of course hit is flush and dead straight, right into the bunker, which left a very awkward 3rd... stupid mental mistake. Should have played it further left. My fault, not the clubs. That shot was during a steady rain in a damp part of the fairway and the iron performed beautifully.

Even with the steady rain and how that impacts ball spin, I never felt like the irons were out of control. I had one 6 iron that drew about twice as much as I planned, but I think that was the water and not the club. Any shorter club than that I had zero problem. Came to the 18th tee sitting at 78, hit a good 5 wood off the tee, launched a 9 iron (the start of the day on about 4 holes) onto the back of the green, made the par for a 40-42: 82.

So my last 27 holes since I put these Pros into play I've shot 41, 40, 42. 🔥 Iron play has been my bane for so long I forgot what it is like to stand over a shot and KNOW you can hit it close. The distance consistency and dispersion in this set it incredible. If I can keep this up I'll be back down around a 10 HDCP in no time (that's the goal).

Round 2 with the Pros in the books. Rainy all day, but not quite hard enough to not play with rain gear. Steady drizzle to light rain, a few periods of just light mist between rain bands but never dry at all. Cart path only. May have only been the two of us playing most of it. Range closed. No starter. Most workers sent home, but we played. Was a lovely Irish summer day (around 70 degrees dropping to around 63 degrees by the end). Not ideal, but tolerable overall. Especially with FootJoy rain gloves, which are amazing, but I digress.

Can't say enough about the way these irons interact with the turf. Just so pure and perfect. In spite of the lack of warm and up and the weather, I played as good or better than I've done all year. We played shorter tees due to the conditions, but still. I love these irons. I hit one bad 6 iron off the tee on a short par 4, but was still left with a knock down 9 into the green. Came back next hole and striped a full 6 from the fairway to hit my 6th GIR in a row. I don't think I've EVER done that. A couple were wedges, but four of them at least were the Pros. Back nine only hit 3 GIR, but the misses were very small and left easy chances to get up and down. Only one double all day, on the 13th where I hit a perfect drive and had an 8 iron in to a back right pin. I had been getting a beautiful 3-5 yard baby draw all day with my irons, so I aimed at a greenside bunker to draw it back and of course hit is flush and dead straight, right into the bunker, which left a very awkward 3rd... stupid mental mistake. Should have played it further left. My fault, not the clubs. That shot was during a steady rain in a damp part of the fairway and the iron performed beautifully.

Even with the steady rain and how that impacts ball spin, I never felt like the irons were out of control. I had one 6 iron that drew about twice as much as I planned, but I think that was the water and not the club. Any shorter club than that I had zero problem. Came to the 18th tee sitting at 78, hit a good 5 wood off the tee, launched a 9 iron (the start of the day on about 4 holes) onto the back of the green, made the par for a 40-42: 82.

So my last 27 holes since I put these Pros into play I've shot 41, 40, 42. 🔥 Iron play has been my bane for so long I forgot what it is like to stand over a shot and KNOW you can hit it close. The distance consistency and dispersion in this set it incredible. If I can keep this up I'll be back down around a 10 HDCP in no time (that's the goal).
Man, some great scores there with the Pros in the bag.

A lot to like, but anything you would change or wish was different?

Ok, first round in the books. To start, I LOVE the turf interaction with the Pros. Best I've ever played (admittedly I'm not one to bounce around trying new clubs on course). Perfect every time - thin fairway, fluffier fairway, light rough, fairway bunkers... just fantastic in all lies.

My back was tight when we started and I didn't have time to loosen up as much as I'd have wanted in the situation, so a little rocky start with some tree trouble on the 2nd hole (triple) and hit it over the green on 3 (double) and put two balls in the water on 9 (triple) going for the green in two after a big drive... but had started feeling better by the 6th hole and outside of that blowup on 9 I felt pretty good. The irons were certainly not the problem.

Outside of one bad swing with the 6 iron where I never felt comfortable over it due to distance and gusting wind, every other iron shot was almost point and shoot. I hit one PW a little fat and came up short on 10, thinned a GW on 16 that held the back of the green instead of the front pin, but other than that they were golden.

My average proximity over my last 10 rounds was 65 ft. Today it was 49 ft. And while I only hit 5 greens, a few of those were due to punch outs from the trees and I then hit with my next shot, and a few greens I was right on the fringe, like a high lipped fairway bunker on 11 where I hit a high 9 iron to clear the lip and caught the front fringe dead on line, just didn't think I could elevate the 8 fast enough to clear the bunker lip. I had ZERO missed greens left, 7% right, 14% long, 29% short (have to learn the carry distances and wind performance over time), 50% on target (this removes the punch shots out of trees so it's higher than the GIR rate).

I'm not a great player and iron play is my lowest strokes gained, but I never once felt like I couldn't play these or that they didn't offer me enough forgiveness. I don't have huge misses on face contact, my issue is usually face direction and fighting a hook, so I don't need a ton of forgiveness for strike location, but we all miss a little and these help enough for even a mid-handicapper like me.

I'm almost always negative SG on approach, and was today at -3.02 total (vs a 15 hdcp), BUT my SG Approach from 100-150 yards where most of my iron shots came from was +1.87... A positive number! I don't think I've EVER had a positive number in ANY approach category since I started tracking. Once my back loosened up I even had a positive overall strokes gained on the back at +4.36, my highest 9 hole SG ever by over a full shot. Where I hit 4 GIR and missed another on the fringe. Only one of the misses was with an iron (fat PW).

And all that was just my first round after three simulator practice sessions and not being fully used to them at all. I really don't think I could be any happier with how they performed today. I can't wait to see how I can progress with these going forward.
Man this is awesome to hear and the gains on your SG Approach is tremendous.
Not on the reviewer list, but I do have these so I'll jump in!

1) Appearance/looks wise what stands out to you in the set you’re reviewing? Appearance/looks is a 10/10 for me. They are just beautiful. I love the way they look standing over them and I love the way they look in the bag. I'm big on looks, and honestly no matter how good something works, if I can't stand behind the looks, it's hard for me to feel confident over the ball.

2) In terms of profile, is there anything surprising to you about the shaping? Anything you might want to change? Profile is good. Smaller than my 21 Standard Apex, but I like this. They look slimmer from heel to toe. I like the look of a little less offset than the Apex 21s, but almost identical to my eye so it suits me.

3) How do you feel about the finish? I have always loved Callaway's satin finish. I think the finish overall is better than the 21 Pros and 21 Standards (gamed both). I just like the satin over the entire club, especially with the matte black badge. Just sets it off.

4) What are your thoughts on the standard shaft pairing? Did you or have you given them a lengthy enough run to see how they do, or don’t, work within your swing as well as with the heads themselves? What stands out? I can't really speak to this as I ordered mine direct with the UST DART 105F4. It was a gamble as this was a blind purchase/pairing but I had the shafts in my 21 standards and said it would take a lot to get me to move on and they were everything I hoped for in a pairing. They are perfect for me! Anyone that has gamed these shafts and interested in these irons, I highly encourage you to give the shaft/head a shot.

5) How would you explain the feel/sound to someone who hasn’t hit them? Feel/sound is a muted crisp sound with a solid feel. Easiest way to explain it. I thought based on what I was reading they might feel a little softer, but I honestly like the feel. They feel better than my 21 standards, so that's a plus. I'd say if I hit the CB/MB I might get the little softer feel. Again, this isn't a bad thing. I love the feel/sound of them, especially on the well struck shots.

6) What type of ball flight are you seeing? High? Mid? Low? Draw or fade propensity? I am seeing higher flight than my 21 standards, which I REALLY like because I'm not sacrificing any distance. Making the ball land a lot softer on approach shots. I draw them to straight flight them about the same as my 21 standards. I have standard loft/lie specs on them.

7) How do the misses play for you? Low on face? High on face? Toe side? Heel side? My miss is low/toe miss and you can feel it for sure (not terrible, but noticable). I'm not losing a ton of distance on mishits. Maybe a half of a club. Mishits on 21 standards was a full club usually with the same miss.

8) How is distance? Carry? Total? Gapping? I'm seeing essentially the same distances (maybe a few yards longer in 4-5 irons carry) I saw from my 21 standards. Gapping is good and right where I want it, so made it a smooth transition to them.

9) Exactly where does a club like this slot for you? Does it replace a fairway? Hybrid? Long iron? Have you seen enough to solidify that replacement? I have 4-AW and with speed I have gained over the last year, the distances are right where I want them. I have a 3 and 5w at the top of the bag and I am keeping that lineup the same. Same instance at bottom of bag. From AW, it's 54/58 and no change their either. Very smooth transition for me.

10) What is something that you’d consider changing if you could? Honestly maybe getting a smidge softer and that's just being picky. If I was on a rating scale as a package I'd give them a 10/10 based on everything asked here. I couldn't be happier.
Great information. How many rounds do you have in with these and where do you see the biggest gains? How is turf interaction?
I have a LOT of these coming for CB vs Pro, but, I took a minute to do an MB 11 vs JAWS RAW 50F head to head for grins.

The results are kind of fun. Five consecutive shots with each.

View attachment 9224520View attachment 9224522
Those numbers are interesting but crazy good. I’d take those any day.
With the wet turf how did the leading edge and turf interaction do? Did you see a lot of digging which impacted your club to ball interaction?

Great information. How many rounds do you have in with these and where do you see the biggest gains? How is turf interaction?
Mostly with misses. Misses aren’t as punishing distance wise is where I’m seeing the gains. Distances overall are pretty much the same and my 21 Apex Standard. Turf interaction is fantastic. Much better than the 21 Apex. Currently have 2 rounds and a few range sessions with these. Been crazy busy lately so not able to get out as much as I want (playing wise), so try to just stay consistent at the range. I didn’t even pick up a club this week due to thanksgiving and will only have time to get to a range Friday (maybe Saturday too).

Noticed something tonight on my 11 iron.. I have never noticed this before and it does not seem to appear on other clubs.

It is really hard to see but on the face right next to the hosel it is scooped out and the face is a little forwards. It is interesting that the slope or whatever you want to call it starts just inside the grooves.
image.jpg

Anyone else seeing this?

Noticed something tonight on my 11 iron.. I have never noticed this before and it does not seem to appear on other clubs.

It is really hard to see but on the face right next to the hosel it is scooped out and the face is a little forwards. It is interesting that the slope or whatever you want to call it starts just inside the grooves.
View attachment 9224591

Anyone else seeing this?
Yes. I actually just looked at my entire set. Seems less at the 8 iron and disappears at the 7 iron. Excellent observation good sir! Wonder what the reason is?

Yes. I actually just looked at my entire set. Seems less at the 8 iron and disappears at the 7 iron. Excellent observation good sir! Wonder what the reason is?
I have never seen or noticed a scoop right by the hosel there. I just checked the 10 iron and it is there too. But I don’t see it at the 9.. hmm. If you are seeing it, it is an intentional design element.

I have never seen or noticed a scoop right by the hosel there. I just checked the 10 iron and it is there too. But I don’t see it at the 9.. hmm. If you are seeing it, it is an intentional design element.
It becomes less at 9 and I don’t notice it by 8.

Hey @Jman do you see this on the MB or Jaws Raw 50 you showed numbers for?

It becomes less at 9 and I don’t notice it by 8.

Hey @Jman do you see this on the MB or Jaws Raw 50 you showed numbers for?
I have the jaws raw 50 and do not see it there and the 21 apex MBs. Not there either.

But WHY? There has to be a design reason. They wouldn't do it for nothing

Yup. I don’t get the big deal though?
It’s not a big deal, just something I noticed that I have ever noticed before on a club. I was curious if it was there for everyone or if it was some kind of error. But mostly It’s just conversation..

It’s not a big deal, just something I noticed that I have ever noticed before on a club. It’s just conversation..
I know it is. It’s why I was adding my commentary…

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I know it is. It’s why I was adding my commentary…

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce
It was the “I don’t get the big deal” I was referencing.

Back