Callaway Apex Pro Series Irons

It was the “I don’t get the big deal” I was referencing.
Whiiiiich is my commentary….

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Whiiiiich is my commentary….

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN
I don’t know what is happening here anymore.. but ok. I will move along.

With the wet turf how did the leading edge and turf interaction do? Did you see a lot of digging which impacted your club to ball interaction?

Interaction was fantastic. Slid right through, no digging issues. I've got a pretty shallow angle of attack though, so someone who is steeper may feel otherwise. I'm like 1-2* down at most usually. More a picker than a digger.

I hit one 8 iron off a soggy spot that felt amazing and flew perfectly, and playing partner said he was watching and the water splashed up at least a foot in the air from impact but I had no clue, I just felt pure contact the whole way.

I am getting a bonus round this afternoon .......

Interaction was fantastic. Slid right through, no digging issues. I've got a pretty shallow angle of attack though, so someone who is steeper may feel otherwise. I'm like 1-2* down at most usually. More a picker than a digger.

I hit one 8 iron off a soggy spot that felt amazing and flew perfectly, and playing partner said he was watching and the water splashed up at least a foot in the air from impact but I had no clue, I just felt pure contact the whole way.
My first round with these was in Texas after they got like 4" of rain the night before and I had no problems. I am pretty steep and they just went right through the turf. Took some bigger divots than I'm used to and nothing felt "fat" if that makes sense.

Thinking about a UT 23° for the 4 iron spot. Would want to go graphite this time instead of steel.

My first round with these was in Texas after they got like 4" of rain the night before and I had no problems. I am pretty steep and they just went right through the turf. Took some bigger divots than I'm used to and nothing felt "fat" if that makes sense.
Awesome to hear fellas!!!

Hey @Jman I know you're going to be providing data on the Pro vs CB. But, could you also discuss possibilities of blending the set? Sounds like with the distance you're seeing with the CB's, it might be a bit easier to blend the 2 together, and still have good gapping without much bending.

Also, could you compare misses low on the face it terms of speed/distance retention?

Thinking about a UT 23° for the 4 iron spot. Would want to go graphite this time instead of steel.
I'd be curious to see how these compare side by side. The Pro 4i has been really, really good for me. Not as long as my Srixon 2i utility when I strike it pure, but much more consistent.

I'd be curious to see how these compare side by side. The Pro 4i has been really, really good for me. Not as long as my Srixon 2i utility when I strike it pure, but much more consistent.
I don't think you can compare a 2i and 4i can you? unless they are the same lofts. But the Pro 4i is a beast!

I don't think you can compare a 2i and 4i can you? unless they are the same lofts. But the Pro 4i is a beast!
I should have provided more context probably, because based on my comment I can see that.

In my case, I use the Utility as a 2nd option off the tee for tight par 4's, or where I need to hit a number off the tee. I've been testing out the Pro 4i in the same way off the tee to see how it performs. Off the tee, the Pro 4i has given me fantastic distance, some shots topping out over 230 yards. If I pure my 2i I can reach 250, but that isn't very consistent. Usually around 220-230. But where the Pro 4i really shines above the 2i off the tee is the consistency and accuracy.

I'm hitting more fairways with the Pro, and although I can hit the 2i longer, my overall average with the Pro 4i is actually longer.

Data per Shot Scope, all off the tee. My 2i data is over 2 years, around 3x's the number of shots compared to my time with the Pro's thus far as a note.

FIR
2i - 48%
Pro 4i - 92%

Longest
2i - 257 yards
Pro 4i - 234 yards

P-Average:
2i - 235 yards
Pro 4i - 220 yards

Average:
2i - 210 yards
Pro 4i - 218 yards

I should have provided more context probably, because based on my comment I can see that.

In my case, I use the Utility as a 2nd option off the tee for tight par 4's, or where I need to hit a number off the tee. I've been testing out the Pro 4i in the same way off the tee to see how it performs. Off the tee, the Pro 4i has given me fantastic distance, some shots topping out over 230 yards. If I pure my 2i I can reach 250, but that isn't very consistent. Usually around 220-230. But where the Pro 4i really shines above the 2i off the tee is the consistency and accuracy.

I'm hitting more fairways with the Pro, and although I can hit the 2i longer, my overall average with the Pro 4i is actually longer.

Data per Shot Scope, all off the tee. My 2i data is over 2 years, around 3x's the number of shots compared to my time with the Pro's thus far as a note.

FIR
2i - 48%
Pro 4i - 92%

Longest
2i - 257 yards
Pro 4i - 234 yards

P-Average:
2i - 235 yards
Pro 4i - 220 yards

Average:
2i - 210 yards
Pro 4i - 218 yards
This definitely provides a little more context. TBH though, the 4i is probably a little more forgiving and has a smidge more offset than the 2i, so I'd say that could be part of it.

This definitely provides a little more context. TBH though, the 4i is probably a little more forgiving and has a smidge more offset than the 2i, so I'd say that could be part of it.
I agree. And why I am looking at this comparison so much is because I'm trying to gauge whether I can replace my 2i with the Pro 4i off the tee. If I can, the Pro 4i provided more versatility, because I'll use it off the fairway on approach, which is something I've never done well with my 2i. Then, I can drop the 2i and this opens a spot in the bag for something like a UW.

Hey @Jman I know you're going to be providing data on the Pro vs CB. But, could you also discuss possibilities of blending the set? Sounds like with the distance you're seeing with the CB's, it might be a bit easier to blend the 2 together, and still have good gapping without much bending.

Also, could you compare misses low on the face it terms of speed/distance retention?
I have blended the set, at least in my bag, haha

But yeah, I’ll circle back this evening and dig in!

I agree. And why I am looking at this comparison so much is because I'm trying to gauge whether I can replace my 2i with the Pro 4i off the tee. If I can, the Pro 4i provided more versatility, because I'll use it off the fairway on approach, which is something I've never done well with my 2i. Then, I can drop the 2i and this opens a spot in the bag for something like a UW.
Looking at the numbers you provided, sounds like a no brainer haha.

i'm playing this week at the same course i played with the pros, and i'll play the same tees. but with my other set of irons. it will be interesting to see if i struggle as much. if it's a better day, i might schedule some time to check lie angle on the pros and see if maybe an adjustment helps.

So I got out for a quick 14 last evening with a friend, was not expecting to get out until the weekend but the opportunity arose. We are playing a 6/6/6 in a couple of weeks as partners so we played some Scramble, some Shamble just strategizing and seeing where the best shots lie. We are wishing weeks of the same age and off we went. I am not sure if we have played in the same group since i got the Apex Pro's but we are in the same Mens group.

FIrst hole we had right at 123 to the flag into a slight breeze and he hit a 9 to about 15 feet, I hit a PW to about 8' and we birdie the first. second is a longer par 4 and we both hit decent drives into he wind leaving us right at 200 to the front he hit his 3 w in the middle and i hit a 4 iron that rolled right onto the front. 2 putt par. #rd hole got fun, decent drives and i hit a 9 into the middle and he is generally a club shorter and asked to hit my 8, I laughed and said i thought we were practicing, he hit my 8 and carried it to the back middle of the green, nice little draw. I told him to hit his and it was about 5 yards shorter but same line. He just smiled....we made the birdie putt.

He hit my irons a few more times and tried some tee shots on a couple of par 3's. Some had good results, some not so good. Mine are about an inch longer than his and he had older Taylormade irons.

For me, it was a cooler afternoon and breezy but i loved the strike on the irons, i feel comfortable over them and i just feel confident. I hit some really good iron shots with the 4 iron and even with the cooler temps, still a great trajectory and rolling out well. I was playing the Srixon Z StarXV's. One thing i really love is the course i play a lot are smallish greens, and/or wide but not deep with maybe a road behind the green, winds through housing development, or water close on a few holes. The spin i get on the irons and the ball stopping is just great. there are a few holes with water front and back, so getting a shorter iron up and stopping is really needed. I just have come to expect the spin and i get it most of the time. My trajectory with the Apex Pro's is great, medium but piercing with the longer, 789PW nice and high and drop. My set is once again only the 4-PW, no utility or wedges. The 4 iron just rips, all of my irons are at a 1 deg flat lie angle and those were just rechecked a couple of weeks ago. I will have a couple of rounds this weekend, friendly saturday game and getting out Sunday with @Pops here in DFW

Maybe it's the influence of @Canadan, maybe it's pre-Grandaddy crazy brain, but I've been thinking more about the UT lately. I doubt it will replace the UW, but I think I may want to give it a swing or two. You know, just for science.

FIR
2i - 48%
Pro 4i - 92%

Longest
2i - 257 yards
Pro 4i - 234 yards

P-Average:
2i - 235 yards
Pro 4i - 220 yards

Average:
2i - 210 yards
Pro 4i - 218 yards
I am almost certain I will have the Pro 4i in the bag. I my 4i off the tee a good bit and it's a more forgiving iron than my 5-PW. Gives me extra confidence that I will find the fairway. You are crushing the 4i BTW.

Maybe it's the influence of @Canadan, maybe it's pre-Grandaddy crazy brain, but I've been thinking more about the UT lately. I doubt it will replace the UW, but I think I may want to give it a swing or two. You know, just for science.
ALL of the UTs, yes sir!!!!!

happy good mythical morning GIF by Rhett and Link

After playing a couple of rounds with an empty spot between 5 hybrid (4 iron distance) and 6 iron, I decided to go ahead and order a Pro 5 iron to go with the set. Already had at least 3 instances in two rounds where I need that yardage and don't like trying to take something off the 5 hybrid. The face is so hot it can still go long even choking down and swinging easier. Might only use it on some par 3s and punching out of trees, but we'll see. :)

Back