Callaway Releases B21 Irons, Hybrid and Fairway Woods

@Canadan
I know it was only a couple swings but any quick thoughts on the b21 7 iron you hit?!
Super easy to elevate.
Super easy to make clean contact.

Presentation is just fine with all the tech and design benefits to promote solid performance.
Even the sound was in line with what I’d look for if ever Pursuing a design like that.

I’m impressed.

Okay, honesty time for me here. I went to DSG yesterday and hit the Mavrik irons and the B21 irons. The B21 irons felt so much better than the Mavriks to me. The feel with the B21 irons were not harsh or hard feeling at all, just the opposite actually. Dispersion was stellar and had plenty of spin for me to hold greens. Trajectory was not ballonish at all. The trajectory seemed very much like my current set of CF16's. Very easy to hit and I wasn't worrying about fatting or thinning at all. Again, to reiterate, the B21's felt extremely good. I was not expecting them to feel that well. No hooks. No pushes. Nice straight shots and a draw when I wanted a draw. Freedom is the word that comes to mind.
The B21's took a lot of swing thoughts I can have out of the equation which is what I am looking for. I practice a ton and I think this will allow me to not worry so much about irons and I can concentrate more on 120 yards and in as well as putting where the scoring really comes in. Sooooo, yes, I ordered a set of B21 irons. I have a B21 hybrid in the bag already (which is awesome) and have a B21 3 wood in the mail coming to me. Oh, and I have the B21 driver in the bag for a bit over a week now.
I am looking forward to playing with more confidence and less worry if my swing on certain days is "on" or not. I know that I need to still have a good swing but I am a 9 right now and I think I can go even lower when I am more confident and able to work on the scoring clubs more.

I’ve got a data set I’m going to get up later which I tracked today and it shows where I am with this one in a nutshell. 11 consecutive shots with total stinkers left in. You can see early that I know this thing is offset so I do everything I can to hold it off, when I get comfortable and let it go, in comes the right to left.

All that said, this one is silly easy to hit, maybe the easiest hybrid I’ve ever hit in terms of a get it UP and get it OUT THERE. Spin is higher than I’ve seen on a Callaway hybrid for me in eons, and it’s not a distance hound, rather it’s a consistent distance that would gap into a set.

It’s clearly not the beat fit for me, but man, this is a very good hybrid.

Went to the range the range tonight. Gave it a go for about 3/4ths of my bucket.

I am absolutely loving this thing. After the first couple times out and alleviating my fear that this wouldn't be a hook machine for me I am finding that it is super easy for me to hit. My 4h was definitely the spot in the bag where I could go left or right and didn't have a ton of confidence on where I was going. With this thing I feel like I can comfortably aim center or right of center if there is danger left and have no fear of a huge miss right. I am getting it way high in the air for me. Feels like a 7 iron with my eyeline. I was hitting it right to the 175 yard marker in the air pretty consistently.

Have a lesson on Sunday so I am going to put it on a monitor and see what I am doing versus my old 4h.

I played an impromptu 9 hole at an executive course. Used the b21 off the tee on all the par 4s and a long par 3 that i definitely should have played a shorter club. I was playing multiple balls and it was a practice session.

Has anyone else noticed that the club feels heavy at the head. Heavily skewed towards the club head. Felt a little weird today. It’s weighted like a hammer throw to me.

I’ve got two sessions of data (outdoors) that I need to get up on the hybrid, apologize for the delay but I’ve been playing mister fix it around here and it’s keeping my plate much occupied, especially with the doc away for 72 hours of call at the hospital.

Anyway, this really is a stupidly easy to hit hybrid, the setup isn’t the best fit for me as combined with the offset the shaft has me making a very deliberate as throttled back move, but it’s just so easy to elevate. Not just that, I’m still impressed with, as Doc Hock calls it, the “spin robustness” across the face. It absolutely varies across the face, but the AI just seems to keep it in a spot that makes the shot playable.

Mentally I still struggle just letting it go for fear of the left, but that is what it is. The bigger pictures are that this is a damn good hybrid for a lot of people potentially because it’s not stupidly low spin and all about distance, likewise, the sound/feel is everything one could look for in a hybrid.

I put the B21 3 hybrid in the bag last week. 65 RCH stiff and it is the easiest hybrid I have hit to date. ZERO problems with hooking and I am able to point and shoot literally. Slight draw with this one and that is exactly what I was looking for. Great trajectory also without ballooning. Distance for me is right at 215-220 (which is exactly the number I needed). Good looking club also. Checks all the boxes for me.

Update today for me. I went to the local golf store today to demo the b21 irons again because I always second guess myself. Well, I was fit by a pro and I was losing 10 yards with my swing speed and the spin of the b21’s. I was not able to maximize my swing, speed etc with these unfortunately. So I was fit into the Mavrik standard heads which felt very nice. Great forgiveness, trajectory and enough spin (for me) to hold the greens. Cancelled my b21 irons order.

Didn't play this weekend so I went to the range to test out the B21 side by side with my old hybrid one more time. The results were the same as previous sessions I wrote about. The B21 was consistently 10-15 yards longer with a lower trajectory and every shot either straight or a draw. My old hybrid was a higher shot with several misses pushed way right. I still have not lost a really bad shot right with over 100 swings on the B21. No hooky shots this weekend either, every shot with solid contact was straight or a controlled draw.

The range I went to had top tracer but unfortunately it missed most of my shots on the app which was disappointing as I was hoping to post side by side data. Once my elbow is better and I can comfortably hit off mats again I will probably rent a bay up there and make sure I get some solid data to post here.

Had another session at the range just now. This thing is definitely a bomber. Making really solid consistent contact and launching the ball high and either straight or with a slight draw. I have no fear of a duck hook which was my worry when I got this thing. I still am seeing the pull left but that's just going to be my miss. I'm worried about huge hooks. If I pull one straight left I can manage that. Especially with all fear of blocking one right gone.

The only real miss is I am having the occasional topper or duff off the hosel. But I leave those to me and my swing. I didn't have it my first three or for trips out with it until I put it in my head that the head felt heavy like a hammer.

If anything this thing just fits perfectly with my bag set up. It gives me a a club I am confident in that I am not going to go right to fit in with my heaven wood which I have no fear of going left.

Just wanted to update everyone on my B-21 hybrid experience.

this past weekend I used the club religiously in a 2 man scramble event. My partner had only golfed twice so it was all about control off the tee for me.

This hybrid has become my favorite club, and I previously had stopped using a hybrid all together over the past 3 years. Knowing that the ball will go straight if you finish your swing is a luxury I haven’t had in over 15 years.

I’m able to hit this club 250 yards off the ground out of rough and fairway lies and has really given me the freedom to not worry about laying back on Par 5’s and really being able to focus on hitting fairways off the tee.

I challenge everyone to demo this club for themselves if you have a right miss. It’s not that you can’t miss this club to the right, or it’s going to fix all of your swing problems. However, having a club that rewards a good swing with a very consistent ball flight is a way to clear a large mental hurdle for slicers.

For example, the 3rd and 4th hole of my home course is in a neighborhood. There are houses OB to the right on the entire hole. These holes quickly became my nemesis as a slicer. Countless times I’ve started -1 thru 2 only to go OB on one of the holes to put me back on pace for a 90. It’s frustrating, and it becomes a mental block. I end up dreading these holes and it affects my midset for the rest of the round knowing “ what could of been”.

Enter my B-21 and all of a sudden my entire game has changed at my home course. I no longer feel helpless with the houses to the right. I know if I hit a smooth swing off the tee and finish through contact then my b-21 will reward me with a very straight ball flight or “draw” bias 250 yards down the fairway. This is the small change one club can make on your entire golf game, and has really made golf more enjoyable for me!

Wanted to drop these in here and I’ll circle back tonight. Took 15 shots, left all of them in the data, and there’s a solid mix of strikes here. Like I said, I’ll circle back soon!

0D0AFD65-5259-48B6-AA08-B2854DE948A7.png8F3DFFB2-110D-4971-8EC2-C374372FB34A.png

Wanted to drop these in here and I’ll circle back tonight. Took 15 shots, left all of them in the data, and there’s a solid mix of strikes here. Like I said, I’ll circle back soon!

View attachment 8967651View attachment 8967652
Circle back time!

So, the data paints a pretty good picture of a few things imo.

First, even some low face and high face misses in there still yielded amply playable results.

Second, you can see that I definitely hold back with this one. What I mean by that is I really fight to hold the club head off for fear of the hard left, and as the sample goes on and I start letting go, there comes the left. Now, that’s a design thing here and it’s to be expected, I’ve absolutely no knock on that, at all. The hold off is also costing me some ball speed overall I think, but leaving all shots in definitely effected the average there.

Is the design for me? Not really, but that’s a fit thing purely with the offset. Is the design really really good? Absolutely, it does it’s job, launches easy, sounds amazing, and is as consistent as I’ve ever seen from a Callaway hybrid.

I can't shake how heavy the club feels now. Used it 7 times today. 5 times off the tee. It was a practice round so I hit two balls off the tee on two holes. I had a top of 2 of those. The good is really good but I am topping the ball more with this than I usually do. I will need to get this out on a longer course with no one on it and hit a bunch of shots.

Anyone playing the B21 Fairway woods?

The B21 3 wood is extremely easy to hit and I'm not hitting that weak push fade as a miss. The miss would still be a push and thats it but with the appropriate yardage and it does want to help no doubt about it. Used it off of a shorter par 4 dogleg right yesterday and wanted to hit the ball to 235 and hit it like throwing a dart and high. Very confident with it already and has the yardage I was looking for. I can jump on it if I need to get to 240-250 (depending on conditions of course) but my smooth swing will produce a 235 yard shot and very comfortably. Straight and baby draws is what I get out of this one.
The 3 hybrid is just as easy to hit and is confidence inspiring. High and straight or baby draws. It is my 215-225 club.

As I have stated before, the Callaway RCH 65 is a gamer for the hybrid, fairway wood and driver. No need to change for me. Very happy!

What do you think?
Have only had it for a couple weeks. At first wasn't in love with the shape, size and offset. Came with RCH 65S, but shaft wasn't a good match for me with the head. Everything was a bad hook, I normally hit my fairways straight to slight fade. Installed a Speeder 661 which helped. Now it hits dead straight to a draw, I really can't hit a fade with it.

I mostly use my 3 wood as a tee club, as I carry a 5 wood, and occasionally off the deck. Off the tee it is wonderful, spins a bit more than my ST190 I had in the bag before. I like the added spin as I thought the 190 was too low at times. Off the deck the B21 is easy, low profile, very easy to launch.

Grades
Feel A - feels great, great pairing with Speeder shaft.

Distance B+ - Its as long as most 3 woods I've gamed. Its not the longest, but thats okay.

Forgiveness A - Extremely forgiving. Just like the B21 driver, the fairway is forgiving on mishits. This clubs likes to draw for me, thats okay.

Workable C+ - Can't work both ways with this. Draws are easy, fading is tough. If I need a tee shot that calls for a draw, its almost automatic.

View attachment 8967651View attachment 8967652
Wanted to quote this data and touch on one more thing. You can see as I started to kind of groove I finally let the club go and stopped subliminally holding the offset face off through impact, and when I did, yes, it got left-er.

Now, I’m a guy whos hybrid miss IS left and can actually hit draws with a hybrid when I want to, so the offset is a bit of a mental hurdle for me. That said, it also helps give it this solid and easy launch, and there are a LOT of golfers who will definitely benefit from the design if they give it a legit go.

Im still amazed at how easy it is to hit, and how addicting the sound is, and I say neither of those as lip service. Even though it’s not a true fit for me, it’s the most fun I’ve had with a Callaway hybrid in a long while because it just does what it does and isn’t just a pure rocket launcher. This can be hit into greens easily and it just SITS.

Not to mention, again, kudos to Cally for making an offset club not look low quality like some OEM’s where you can tell aesthetic is an afterthought. This B21 line is slick..

Hit the hybo some more yesterday, is there anything anyone is specifically curious of?

Ive been impressed with the RCH setup, but I do know because of the offset I’m holding off a bit in the swing and not truly letting it go, going to try to rectify that this week on the monitor for some more data caps.

The sound is just silly good. Practically perfect in fact. And the dang thing just launches so easy from the deck.

I’ve got a serious struggle ponder going....
3 hybrid 19* OR 5 wood 18* ?????

My clubs are basically 3* differences, the 4 hybrid is a 21* and going to the 3 hybrid that’s a 2* swing so with my ocd I’m wondering if I should get the 5 wood instead..

Has anyone hit the 5 wood??

Had a few more swings on the course this week with the 3H and after about 6 weeks finally had my first bad miss right, it is possible! I had about 250 into the green and absolutely smoked one but unfortunately pushed it way offline right out of play. This is the first time I have had a bad miss right with this club which is saying a lot as a push right is my most common miss.

I used it for one other shot on the day. I played it off the tee and smoked another one about 250 but it had a very strong draw that pushed it to the left rough about 15 yards offline. I was aimed a bit left to begin with as anything right is OB on that hole so I was pretty happy with the shot.

Back