Callaway Big Bertha Irons Review

I think they are great irons also...my loft n lie machine doesn't lie!...or my length table...

Based on the head & shaft combo they are hard to beat for the +10 hcper

Not saying you are, but it amazes me how these irons are perceived to be for the high Handicappers only.

These fit a WIDE range of golfers, and abilities!

I seem to know some pretty good golfers gaming Altitudes as well as other again and SGI offerings.

Forgiveness is forgiveness no matter ability, EVERYONE benefits from it IMO.

Not saying you are, but it amazes me how these irons are perceived to be for the high Handicappers only.

I seem to know some pretty good golfers gaming Altitudes as well as other again and SGI offerings.

I am certainly in the higher handicap camp, but I couldn't agree more with that. Sure, working the ball either way is pretty (and impressive, I suppose), but I don't think any of the lower handicap players I play with would be mad at a straight ball and an easy GIR from the fairway every time. These aren't magic, obviously, but for the regular weekend player (no matter the handicap), I just don't get how easier isn't better.

My set arrived yesterday. All I was able to do was drool all over them since I'm in snowy MA, but in looking at these and looking at the XR series, I actually prefer the looks of the Big Berthas. Maybe I'm alone in that.

I wouldnt mind having these but F me the price is steep.

Its the offset that make them a suitable mid-high Hcper set

Offset determines skill level?

There are plenty of good players who play offset well.

This comment just isn't true. And it's preconceived notions like this that is most of the reason amateurs have the wrong irons in their bags

KJ Choi played G15s for a while, I think once at Augusta. You can't get more offset than that. I think it's more a preference than anything.

Putting these in the bag for tomorrow's round and am pretty darn excited about it. Playing a really tight course where having the ability to play shorter off the tee to stay as straight as possible, might leave some longer approach shots.

Can't wait to hear how they treat you!

Can't wait to play mine, is it April yet?

I have a loft and lie machine.

Terrific review Ryan....thanks !
Those are some real beauties.

The hollow body reminds me of my old Browning 440Plus irons from years ago.

Lol, I still have a full set of the browning 440's in my garage! Way ahead of their time!

Putting these in the bag for tomorrow's round and am pretty darn excited about it. Playing a really tight course where having the ability to play shorter off the tee to stay as straight as possible, might leave some longer approach shots.

JB, how did these perform for you?

Trackman numbers from my last Culver City trackman center with Alex Galvin.

Big Bertha 6i Ust Recoil Graphite Shaft F4 stiff.

Club heads speed 89.5

Attack angle -1.3

Smash Factor 1.38

Spin 5480

Carry Distance 177.4 yards

Total distance 185.3 yards

I hit my X2 HOT 5 iron usually about 150 yard with a true temper stiff steel shaft speed step 85

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trackman numbers from my last Culver City trackman center with Alex Galvin.

Big Bertha 6i Ust Recoil Graphite Shaft F4 stiff.

Club heads speed 89.5

Attack angle -1.3

Smash Factor 1.38

Spin 5480

Carry Distance 177.4 yards

Total distance 185.3 yards

I hit my X2 HOT 5 iron usually about 150 yard with a true temper stiff steel shaft speed step 85

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

http://services.mytrackman.com/File.aspx?id=1327e660-43af-4006-8c81-0a3bc8db4cba

JB was gracious enough to let me use his set of these today. For not being fit to them they treated me pretty well. I don't think I'd put these in the bag personally as I prefer a thinner topline. That said, I mentioned to JB that these play very much like the 588 Altitudes but in a better looking package. Any handicap could easily game these. If you're looking for an easy to hit, forgiving iron that is going to go a long way then you should try these out.

Performance wise, did you like these or your RSI 2's better? I don't care about looks.
Which one was more forgiving?
Thanks

JB was gracious enough to let me use his set of these today. For not being fit to them they treated me pretty well. I don't think I'd put these in the bag personally as I prefer a thinner topline. That said, I mentioned to JB that these play very much like the 588 Altitudes but in a better looking package. Any handicap could easily game these. If you're looking for an easy to hit, forgiving iron that is going to go a long way then you should try these out.

The beauty behind these is pure forgiveness. Just about anywhere on the face and the ball speed is the same which is fairly remarkable. You hit a groove with these a few holes in and were throwing darts.

Performance wise, did you like these or your RSI 2's better? I don't care about looks.
Which one was more forgiving?
Thanks

Just judging from feedback on both irons, I would say the BB get the nod for forgiveness. Performance can be interpreted a thousand different ways

Hopefully these come down in price in a few years, I would love to game them.

Ok I have the berthas and I am getting used to them, now I have a question about aiming the club face at your target. When I i put the club head behind the ball the face looks to be pointing left of my target, so do I adjust by aim right of target or do I adjust the club face in my hands so it points at my target when I put it behind the ball

I've got these in 6-aw. I hit these great. Am looking to get the 5 iron. I see some great deals on the old Callaway prototype driving iron. Would that be significantly harder to hit?

I've got these in 6-aw. I hit these great. Am looking to get the 5 iron. I see some great deals on the old Callaway prototype driving iron. Would that be significantly harder to hit?

It is. I have both and the Bertha 5 iron is just silly easy to hit in comparison.

The beauty behind these is pure forgiveness. Just about anywhere on the face and the ball speed is the same which is fairly remarkable. You hit a groove with these a few holes in and were throwing darts.

I almost hit one on the toe yesterday where I almost missed the grooves. Still found it's way on the green.

Ok I have the berthas and I am getting used to them, now I have a question about aiming the club face at your target. When I i put the club head behind the ball the face looks to be pointing left of my target, so do I adjust by aim right of target or do I adjust the club face in my hands so it points at my target when I put it behind the ball

Just square the face to the target and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Back