Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Golf Balls

I wonder what pros are putting this ball into play or have already under a "proto" name?
Check out the article, it gives some names

Wow very nice, Seems like this ball is perfect for me!
Will they be offered in Colors other than white? or Truvis???
Full details in the article :)
But yes, Yellow, Triple Track and white.

Oh sweet! Much appreciated! I don't want to jinx myself. But, the extended forecast is looking pretty prime for melting some snow. So, hoping the courses open sooner than later.
I can already see grass in my backyard and it is going to be in the 40s down here all this week before 50s this weekend. I would be surprised if there was a golf course open.

I can already see grass in my backyard and it is going to be in the 40s down here all this week before 50s this weekend. I would be surprised if there was a golf course open.
We had some good melt already. But, we got a little bit more snow to cover. Extended 46 today and in the 50's by this weekend. Will be golfing in no time. I may hit up my buddy at the local shop to see if there will be some open time on their GC2 for me to do some head to head data collection.

I wonder what pros are putting this ball into play or have already under a "proto" name?

Pretty much all of them is what I heard.

Definitely will be trying a sleeve of these in the spring. CSX was the best all around ball to date for me, but anything i can do to reduce spin but keep putting feel is something that i am always chasing.

Tech story sounds really cool and interesting. I like that they’re trying to mix it up internally to get variety to their customer base.

this wouldn’t really work for me though :). I need more spin throughout the bag soooo no go. I still need to try the new chrome soft x though.

Finally! I can't wait to give these a try! I will be putting these head to head with the CSX! CSX is a fantastic ball and my gamer but would like just a little less spin in my longer shots.

I must get my hands on some of these in yellow. I have been using the Chrome Softs for a couple of years now. Who knew they would come out with another great option ??

Sounds like another great addition. But probably not a ball for me.

Very cool. I like the concept behind this. I've been on the search for a new ball for this season.
I love the CS off of an iron, not to much off the driver.
I have not tried the CSX yet, and now with the CSX LS coming out, I think I'll have to fltry both.

Great writeup 👊

Solid writeup @JB !

Nice writeup @JB. Been waiting for this to be released out into the wild so I can share some opinions on this new ball. Below is a quick review.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on these early for some testing from the guys at Callaway as part of the Grandmama discussions and product reviews and I've been using them for the last few weeks in my sim league and some other practice sim time. And although I haven't traditionally played Chrome Soft balls in the past, this one may very well change that. I'll caveat my opinions below by saying for most of the time I've been trying the ball out, there's been 18" of snow on the ground and temps in the teens to mid 20's so I am not able to get a feel around the greens, or see ball flight through air including wind impacts. What I will be talking about is feel off the driver and irons and how the ball compares on my inside WellPutt putting mat.

IMG_20210302_094111_Bokeh.jpg

The Chrome Soft X LS is meant to offer all the benefits from the Chrome Soft X in a lower spinning model. And so far from my testing, It's done exactly that. I've been switching balls between my normal gamer Bridgestone Tour BX as well as a sleeve of new Chrome Soft X balls and of course the LS through my SIM league to get a feel. Also had some time on a GC2 that I hid shots back to back.

Off the driver face

The LS to me feels almost identical to the Chrome Soft X off a driver: Similar sound and feel. Anecdotally I found my driver to spin roughly 200 +/- rpm lower than the other two balls. Obviously I am not a robot but when you look across the averages, that's roughly where it landed. I haven't had a chance to get on a trackman or GC quad with a focus on ball testing yet but I will before the season opens to help pick what ball I am going to game with my new club setup.

Off the iron face

Although I hit quite a few shots with irons with all 3 balls, due to the non-scientific methods of my testing ( i.e. beer sim league and a beat up GC2 ), I can't say that I noticed any specific difference in spin off the irons. I tend to spin my irons pretty fast with the Tour BX ( i.e. 6500 rpm 6-irons, 9000 rpm PW, etc ). For the Chrome Soft X and the LS, they both spun a bit lower on average but both around the same as compared to each other. So from that perspective, I didn't see a huge delta in spin which is damn good since thats one area most people don't want to see less spin.

Off the wedge face

As I mentioned, there really isn't any place for me to hit a variety of wedge shots I would normally play ( full, half, flop, lob, chip, pitch, etc. ) so I won't comment on this one as I wouldn't trust the partial shot results of the sim mat to put together an opinion on green side spin.

Off the putter face

Some difference here to me. The Chrome Soft X LS seems a little firmer and a bit more clicky than the Chrome Soft X. This occurred both off my Toulon Las Vegas and the new White Hot Rossie putters, to different levels. It rolls nice and I didn't have any issues with distance control so it doesn't react any different than the Chrome Soft other than the slightly firmer sound/feel off the face.

Overall

So far based on my limited testing, this is a damn good option for some of us looking to manage the spin off the driver. 200 rpm on average is a pretty decent change for just switching the ball and not touching the club at all. Especially if you are able to maintain/control the spin as you get to the more lofted clubs. I need to get this thing outdoors to check the ball flight and play with it around the greens on wedge shots before I know if this is in my list of gamer balls which is currently very small mind you. So far, very impressed and has me considering gaming a Chrome Soft ball for the first time in a long time.

Until the snow melts and the temps warm up above 45, I'll keep hitting these on a sim.

Nice writeup @JB. Been waiting for this to be released out into the wild so I can share some opinions on this new ball. Below is a quick review.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on these early for some testing from the guys at Callaway as part of the Grandmama discussions and product reviews and I've been using them for the last few weeks in my sim league and some other practice sim time. And although I haven't traditionally played Chrome Soft balls in the past, this one may very well change that. I'll caveat my opinions below by saying for most of the time I've been trying the ball out, there's been 18" of snow on the ground and temps in the teens to mid 20's so I am not able to get a feel around the greens, or see ball flight through air including wind impacts. What I will be talking about is feel off the driver and irons and how the ball compares on my inside WellPutt putting mat.

View attachment 8996037

The Chrome Soft X LS is meant to offer all the benefits from the Chrome Soft X in a lower spinning model. And so far from my testing, It's done exactly that. I've been switching balls between my normal gamer Bridgestone Tour BX as well as a sleeve of new Chrome Soft X balls and of course the LS through my SIM league to get a feel. Also had some time on a GC2 that I hid shots back to back.

Off the driver face

The LS to me feels almost identical to the Chrome Soft X off a driver: Similar sound and feel. Anecdotally I found my driver to spin roughly 200 +/- rpm lower than the other two balls. Obviously I am not a robot but when you look across the averages, that's roughly where it landed. I haven't had a chance to get on a trackman or GC quad with a focus on ball testing yet but I will before the season opens to help pick what ball I am going to game with my new club setup.

Off the iron face

Although I hit quite a few shots with irons with all 3 balls, due to the non-scientific methods of my testing ( i.e. beer sim league and a beat up GC2 ), I can't say that I noticed any specific difference in spin off the irons. I tend to spin my irons pretty fast with the Tour BX ( i.e. 6500 rpm 6-irons, 9000 rpm PW, etc ). For the Chrome Soft X and the LS, they both spun a bit lower on average but both around the same as compared to each other. So from that perspective, I didn't see a huge delta in spin which is damn good since thats one area most people don't want to see less spin.

Off the wedge face

As I mentioned, there really isn't any place for me to hit a variety of wedge shots I would normally play ( full, half, flop, lob, chip, pitch, etc. ) so I won't comment on this one as I wouldn't trust the partial shot results of the sim mat to put together an opinion on green side spin.

Off the putter face

Some difference here to me. The Chrome Soft X LS seems a little firmer and a bit more clicky than the Chrome Soft X. This occurred both off my Toulon Las Vegas and the new White Hot Rossie putters, to different levels. It rolls nice and I didn't have any issues with distance control so it doesn't react any different than the Chrome Soft other than the slightly firmer sound/feel off the face.

Overall

So far based on my limited testing, this is a damn good option for some of us looking to manage the spin off the driver. 200 rpm on average is a pretty decent change for just switching the ball and not touching the club at all. Especially if you are able to maintain/control the spin as you get to the more lofted clubs. I need to get this thing outdoors to check the ball flight and play with it around the greens on wedge shots before I know if this is in my list of gamer balls which is currently very small mind you. So far, very impressed and has me considering gaming a Chrome Soft ball for the first time in a long time.

Until the snow melts and the temps warm up above 45, I'll keep hitting these on a sim.
Nice write up @Tevenor ! I’m hoping to get the spin down throughout my entire bag, so looking forward to trying to snag a sleeve or two of these and get them on the SIM compared to two other balls I currently use (BR-X and Z-Star).

View attachment 8996037

Off the driver face

Off the iron face

Off the wedge face

Off the putter face

Overall

Man...This is exactly what I wanted to hear about it. Driver is where I would still like to shave some off of spin. I went down 1k from last years gamer to my new gamer during my fitting, so shaving off a couple hundred more would be fantastic. Now, I know this will be player dependent to some level, but having this added reduction of spin off the tee, would be fantastic for me. I am currently a CSX gamer and love it. I have tried the Titleist ProV1x left dash and loved it for off the tee, so the fact that this is (to me) it's direct competitor and feels like the CSX, I might be in heaven here, lol. Can't wait to get my hands on some of these!

Nice write up @Tevenor ! I’m hoping to get the spin down throughout my entire bag, so looking forward to trying to snag a sleeve or two of these and get them on the SIM compared to two other balls I currently use (BR-X and Z-Star).

Be interesting to see where these land on your irons for spin / launch numbers! Its the one area I wish I had better data that I could draw some conclusions on. Just couldn't get time to do specific ball-to-ball testing.

Man...This is exactly what I wanted to hear about it. Driver is where I would still like to shave some off of spin. I went down 1k from last years gamer to my new gamer during my fitting, so shaving off a couple hundred more would be fantastic. Now, I know this will be player dependent to some level, but having this added reduction of spin off the tee, would be fantastic for me. I am currently a CSX gamer and love it. I have tried the Titleist ProV1x left dash and loved it for off the tee, so the fact that this is (to me) it's direct competitor and feels like the CSX, I might be in heaven here, lol. Can't wait to get my hands on some of these!

You definitely need to give it a shot then. I think you will like it if you are already gaming the CSX.

View attachment 8996037

Off the driver face

Off the iron face

Off the wedge face

Off the putter face

Overall

What you have shared is exactly what I want to have happen! shave 200 off the driver with a higher loft should make it easier to get it in the fairway.

Finally got the Rapsodo working indoors, so did a mini test last night. Planning on doing a much more expansive test tonight. I wish it gave spin numbers, but I can deal with launch, ball speed, and distance for right now.

Tested the 2 balls I used most last year: Tour B RX and Chrome Soft against the Chrome Soft X LS. All was with a pitching wedge, and with an offseason swing rebuild. Not a very empirical study, but early testing.

Pink: Tour B RX
Green: Chrome Soft
Blue: CSX LS

814D70D5-E2CA-440F-A9DC-AD411E6C1321.jpeg

70EA0C42-1837-4032-AADB-9FF744DD9CD6.jpeg

Avg Distance:
RX: 115
CS: 113
CSX LS: 117

Avg Ball Speed:
RX: 88.7
CS: 86.7
CSX LS: 86.4

I REALLY liked the feel of the previous (2018) CS and CSX. The new ball was good, but the subtle improvements for my game didn't justify the increase of price. If they make these in a tru-vis, I might give them a go.

Definitely curious to see where these for among other lower spin, firmer balls out there. Especially since one (or more) of those added spin this year.

Back