Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Golf Balls

Ok, so, I got tagged to test these balls and I was honored to do so. I just haven’t been able to play until today. I didn’t put them in play until I was A. Comfortable with my swing and B. Sure I wouldn’t lose them immediately off the tee 🤣

I played the ball for a few holes on the back 9 today. First of all, I’mplaying my first round since October. So, I’m in no place to tell anyone it this ball is longer or not. Off the driver, it was definitely as long as the csx and zstar xv I was cycling between.

Off the wedges on partial shots, the ball seems to hold just as well as the csx. But, we’re dealing with spring greens. So, to be determined.

Now, something I can say without a doubt. Off the irons, this thing seems to launch significantly lower than anything else I play (csx, zstarxv, prov1x). Early results would say probably to a fault. At least for me. But, obviously, it’s my first round, and I’m an inconsistent amateur. So, time will tell how it goes long term.

Today, I put the yellow Triple Track version in play. Off the putter, I don’t think it feltsignificantly firmer than the pv1x that I directly tested it against. That is off of the new TT Ten putter. Will probably take my Toulon out next time.

I played this ball today and it reminded me on why the CSX is bad for me personally. To harsh of a feeling for me. Hit a really good drive off the first tee and it didn't get as far as I thought it should. Grabbed a regular CS out of the bag and hit another one and was 8 yards farther than the LS.

I played this ball during yesterday's round. I'm typically a Zstar or XV guy, but these didn't disappoint me in the feel category. I was expecting to hit a rock, especially since it was only 60 degrees. Wasn't the case. Rain made the course pretty sloppy, so I can't judge much on spin or distance, because everything was sticking. It seemed to fly through the wind quite well, and felt good off driver, irons, and putter. So far, first impression is positive.

I will definitely give these a shot, seems similar to the AVX I currently game and love.

I put these in play again today in windy 50 degree temps. The ball was excellent in the wind and still did everything I need it to around the green. My only negative is i caught one cart path and it took quite a chunk out of the cover (more than what i was expecting)

I put these in play again today in windy 50 degree temps. The ball was excellent in the wind and still did everything I need it to around the green. My only negative is i caught one cart path and it took quite a chunk out of the cover (more than what i was expecting)
I haven't been able to use this ball yet but my buddy has played a couple rounds with it and his biggest criticism is the durability. Outside of that he seems to really like the ball so far.

Great Video on the difference between all 3 Chrome Soft Balls:

@JohnnyCallaway is that you

Really good video. Lots of good information on expectations in a really informative and easy to understand delivery. Wunder was stroking a few of the drives too. Fun.

I'll go ahead and be the Richard who points out that they showed an on screen data figure for every individual club-ball combination EXCEPT the LS with the wedge. Because this is the internet and regardless of if the other 99% of the video is solid, people will notice, find flaw, and pretty much invalidate the entire thing based on that.

I like this ball. For me it spins plenty and stops well enough.

it is interesting that the majority of the tour guys are play the standard x from what I have heard. But they are attacking tight tucked pins all day.

Used the LS for the first scoring round of the season. Off the driver, irons, wedges and putter it just feels good and has worked with my game so far. The best part is the play around the green. Able to get these to nip and stop very easily. This is for sure the ball for the year.

Good video, Gerritt was my fitter when I was there. Great Guy.
I was kind of surprise that the spin on the regular CS was so low, he must have a really good upward attack angle.

They're still not for me. Not a good fit in irons, and don't love it for me off the tee, but I used it for a few holes today and there were some good things in it.

It checks well around the green. That continues to surprise me. I've had some clipped short irons and wedges that had noticeably less green stop though, and one today hit mid ridge and everything else I play would have come back down. It didn't. Fine in that situation, but noticably different.

So I bombed a drive through the fairway into a really hard kind of thin lie with a good angle to the pin from 74y but a helping breeze. Decided in the Live Round thread to really test it out with what I call a Nebraska dart. Really low shot that takes a ton of spin to stop.

20210406_155821.jpg

It nearly backed up. I can do that fairly well with most firmer urethane balls, but that was impressive.

They're a little hard. I noticed it more with the putter today than the first couple times. Wouldn't bother me with an insert though. They don't sound awesome off some irons and can make a loud driver even louder. A bunch of friends have been playing these the last week or so though and really enjoying the benefits for their game.

Tried this ball in 15-25mph wind so it's hard to really get a sense of whether or not it should be my new ball, but...

I did hit a couple bombs with the Speed driver that made me giddy. Iron distances and feel were good. Check around the greens seemed pretty solid, and there was nothing unappealing to me about the feel off the WH OG 1ws putter. Two balls left in my test sleeve so it will be in play again this weekend.

They're still not for me. Not a good fit in irons, and don't love it for me off the tee, but I used it for a few holes today and there were some good things in it.

It checks well around the green. That continues to surprise me. I've had some clipped short irons and wedges that had noticeably less green stop though, and one today hit mid ridge and everything else I play would have come back down. It didn't. Fine in that situation, but noticably different.

So I bombed a drive through the fairway into a really hard kind of thin lie with a good angle to the pin from 74y but a helping breeze. Decided in the Live Round thread to really test it out with what I call a Nebraska dart. Really low shot that takes a ton of spin to stop.

View attachment 9001731

It nearly backed up. I can do that fairly well with most firmer urethane balls, but that was impressive.

They're a little hard. I noticed it more with the putter today than the first couple times. Wouldn't bother me with an insert though. They don't sound awesome off some irons and can make a loud driver even louder. A bunch of friends have been playing these the last week or so though and really enjoying the benefits for their game.

What about it off the tee and with irons do you not like?

What about it off the tee and with irons do you not like?
Not enough spin for me. It's crazy obvious visually on some drives, and the iron spin isn't ideal. Less than I need for the shots I play. I notice it on the softer greens, and on the harder ones it's really different. Crosses over the playability line where effects are exponential. Just not the right fit. Nothing against it in general though. Seems like a left dash with a better cover. I saw a durability comment. I haven't seen an issue there for me in small sample, and I chew through balls. I usually notice that. :confused2:

Not enough spin for me. It's crazy obvious visually on some drives, and the iron spin isn't ideal. Less than I need for the shots I play. I notice it on the softer greens, and on the harder ones it's really different. Crosses over the playability line where effects are exponential. Just not the right fit. Nothing against it in general though. Seems like a left dash with a better cover. I saw a durability comment. I haven't seen an issue there for me in small sample, and I chew through balls. I usually notice that. :confused2:

No worries i know not every ball fits everyone. I was just curious where it lacked for you personally. Someone with your game will notice it more than others..

I saw a durability comment. I haven't seen an issue there for me in small sample
Same here on that front. I haven't had any issue with the durability. Been in sand, dirt, hit a tree or two and the ball rarely had much of a mark on it. I've put 36+ holes each on two different balls before I lost them and I had no issues.

To piggyback on some great comments,

CS is a forgiving ball that is quite low spin at higher RPMs. Fast, good around the greens. Forgiving is the key

CSX is your ball for the players that like to move it around. Fast, optimal spin for workability and really soft around the greens.

CSX LS is low launch low spin but still has plenty of spin around the greens. Especially if you are a player that likes to play with loft around the greens IE higher softer.

This ball is a missile off the tee.

Bought a dozen of the X LS thinking I’d love them. I have to say, for me, it’s a hard no at the moment.

I usually play AVX. I have a high ball flight and produce a good amount of spin. I found these to be 5-10 yds shorter and spun a LOT more on the greens. I was having to fly the ball much farther into flags due to the backspin they produced. Was getting between 8-12ft of backspin hitting wedges. Normally, with AVX, I’ll get a hit and stop or a backspin of a few feet.

These did not feel as soft around the greens as my AVX as well, though I feel the one-hop and stop was a little easier to produce. They putted fine, didn’t really have any opinion there.

I MIGHT consider using these in firm and fast conditions but I don’t see these taking a spot over the AVX or even Pro-V line.

Bought a dozen of these thinking I’d love them. I have to say, for me, it’s a hard no at the moment.

I usually play AVX. I have a high ball flight and produce a good amount of spin. I found these to be 5-10 yds shorter and spun a LOT more on the greens. I was having to fly the ball much farther into flags due to the backspin they produced. Was getting between 8-12ft of backspin hitting wedges. Normally, with AVX, I’ll get a hit and stop or a backspin of a few feet.

These did not feel as soft around the greens as my AVX as well, though I feel the one-hop and stop was a little easier to produce. They putted fine, didn’t really have any opinion there.

I MIGHT consider using these in firm and fast conditions but I don’t see these taking a spot over the AVX or even Pro-V line.
So regarding your spin on the green comment, that is was these are designed to try to do (not saying they do for everyone). Callaway wanted to reduce the spin off of driver and full iron shots but try to keep the spin up around the greens which is why you're seeing what you are there. They aren't supposed to be super low spin across the board. At least that was the goal. The ball isn't going to work for everyone, as others in this thread have shared. So I'm glad you have the AVX to keep working for you!

I played this ball today and it reminded me on why the CSX is bad for me personally. To harsh of a feeling for me. Hit a really good drive off the first tee and it didn't get as far as I thought it should. Grabbed a regular CS out of the bag and hit another one and was 8 yards farther than the LS.
Yeah I definitely think it's a feast or famine situation. Either it's great for you or it's not a good fit. I'm excited to get some on-course testing shortly.

Picked some up and wanted to see how they would work with the Epic Max LS driver. Played nine after work today and the course was pretty open and I had a chance to play a couple balls off the tee to compare. The Chrome Soft X LS against the Pro V1x and the TP5X. The Chrome SoftX LS felt really good and it was the best of he three in terms of distance, feel and accuracy. Last drive of the night it blew by the Pro V1x and that's the last thought in my mind right now about this ball. Excellent feel off irons as well. Really like this ball and can't wait to play it in warm weather on fairways with roll I think it could be really really good.

Yeah I definitely think it's a feast or famine situation. Either it's great for you or it's not a good fit. I'm excited to get some on-course testing shortly.
I think I fall into this category. I was a higher spin player and needed to get that down. I went with the Epic Max LS Driver and I am really getting it going. The Callaway selector for me said regular Chrome Soft ball ( which I have played and liked ) but I had already picked up a dozen Chromesoft X LS to see how they would work not only in general but with the driver. My game is not at the point where I think I would notice a significant difference off irons or around the green or chipping as I know many of the very good players here can feel and see because of where their games are but I absolutely can tell the difference off the driver. This weekend I used them and some 2021 ProV1 X's and Taylormade TP5X's but even before we finished the front I knew the Chromesoft XLS was the ball for me. Its still in the forties/fifties here and the fairways are soft so not getting a lot of roll (but surprisingly im not getting my usual this time of year plugs or drives landing and going back a foot. Im still getting some roll and summertime distance. Cant wait to hit this driver with these balls in warm weather and good conditions. And they feel great off irons and putting as well. Like the new line of drivers I think as you said these balls are great for some and for others not a good fit but there is a ball for everyone. I think that is part of the beauty of the evolution of club and ball design the right fit is out there you just need to find it.

Last edited:
I put these in play for a bit yesterday. So, round one, I thought that maybe these were a long way away from being my gamer. After yesterday, I’m starting to seriously consider. This could take some more thorough testing on course against the csx. Take an afternoon off when I’m feeling closer to mid season form. Go out on an empty course and just hit shots from different places.

Around the green, I’m finding this to play very similar to the csx. It feels firmer no doubt. But, I’m hitting similar shots between them. Heading out into the 100 yard range, I’m seeing the same thing. Very similar performance. Off the tee, I feel like the csx ls is really hot off the driver. But, as a low spin player and just visually going off of what I’m seeing, it may be too low spinning off the driver for me. But, as the season goes on and I get more comfortable after 5 months off, I hope to see that change.

I needed to pick some balls up today. They had the csx and csx ls in stock. I went with what I know for now. But will continue to put the ls in play here and there and do a better test later this spring.

Back