Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

This driver is just ludicrous for me. I'm continuing to find fairways with a nice high flight that just seems to stay in the air forever. The last few weeks it has just been point & shoot.

This driver is just ludicrous for me. I'm continuing to find fairways with a nice high flight that just seems to stay in the air forever. The last few weeks it has just been point & shoot.
I continue to love this driver. Even on bad days, it's not really bad if that makes sense at all. Just amazes me I still get 260-270 on mishits!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On my scale, it was D7 at the stock 45.5" length with the stock mcc align grip, most likely due to the weight and profile of the shaft. The grip and tape weighed 59g. The new microsuede midsize and tape weighed 56g. Basically, D7 cut down 1/2" becomes around D4. And take 3g off the grip weight and it came in at like D4.7ish.

The usual tensei shaft that comes with the EF is 65g and I believe stock sw for the EF is D4. So I'm sure the extra shaft weight with the 75g shaft affected the swingweight.

Testing so far for me has been great. I went down this morning to the range and so far I'm happy with it. This thing is an absolute beast.

Thanks for your information and feedback

The course we played Sunday and yesterday was relatively short and tight so I only pulled driver a couple times, but the first time it was pulled was on a temporary tee for a par 4 that, according to my watch, said 250yds to the front of the green

There was a water hazard running diagonally across the fairway that, from the normal tees, would be in the landing area and then ran up the right-hand side of the green

I was feeling fairly confident and put a good swing on the ball and watched it plug in the mound on the front left of the green, so a shade under 250yd carry
On Monday, I first pulled driver on the same hole, but this time there was a slight headwind and my ball landed about 5yds short of the green

I am looking forward to the good weather again next year and enjoying the extra roll that I will get when it is dry

I have zero interest in changing this driver with how it is performing for me

Waaaaaaaay behind on these drivers but just hit the TS3, M5 and Epic Flash SZ and the SZ won. Hope to hit it outside, tomorrow

Played in a team match play event today. Format was 2 man scramble. Weird name drop, Miguel Cotto was on the same team playing in the 4some behind us.

I agree with the post above about confidence. Behind the ball it just inspires that for me. Didn’t have my best swing at all today. My partner was really struggling off the tee and I managed to hit 8/11 fw with it. All 11 drives were used and as I loosened up a little ended the round with a couple really good ones.

for me a big part of it is how much I can get away with on misses and the EF is on another level from my previous drivers.

One thing I have noticed with the Epic Flash is that it is a low launcher. I have a 9 degree and I have to set it at + 2 to get the best height on my drives. Perhaps, a 10.5 would be better. Anyone feel the same way?

One thing I have noticed with the Epic Flash is that it is a low launcher. I have a 9 degree and I have to set it at + 2 to get the best height on my drives. Perhaps, a 10.5 would be better. Anyone feel the same way?
I think it's the opposite for me. The 9* Epic Flash SZ I'm launching it 13-14* on average. I'm used to seeing a degree or two lower.

Had another good driving day yesterday, only missed a couple of fairways and despite the cold and wind I was still seeing good distance

Definitely not a low launcher for me, but then I hit up on the ball off the tee so I don't need the additional help of more loft

Do you know what your angle of attack is? If negative that could account for why you see low launch

Struggled off the tee last time out (normal for me) but still found some places on a couple holes that I've never reached before.

A few rounds ago I tested heel-side misses a bit and was pleasantly surprised by the forgiveness and distance on those misses.

Range day during lunch today and left me begging to get another round in before the season is over. Had a pretty big left to right wind so I moved my sliding weight all the way to the draw setting, which wasn't much since it was pretty close to it already, but figured the extra could help. Kept the head in the D/S setting, and was happy to see not one shot veer too far right on me. Most moved a little, which I expected, but my focus was good contact and turning my hands over, and the ball just exploded off the face. Wish it wasn't as windy because I felt like it was going very far, but considering it wasn't flying far right, I was content!

I picked up the shaft I got fitted in to at Club Champion for my SZ today. Man this thing feels good. The funny part is it's a flex less than what I would normally go with. They let me try it out on their Trackman and the numbers were even better than they were the day of the fitting. The last drive I hit registered at 111 club speed, 164 ball speed, 13* launch, carried 294 and rolled out to 318. I did the walk off after that one. :D

I picked up the shaft I got fitted in to at Club Champion for my SZ today. Man this thing feels good. The funny part is it's a flex less than what I would normally go with. They let me try it out on their Trackman and the numbers were even better than they were the day of the fitting. The last drive I hit registered at 111 club speed, 164 ball speed, 13* launch, carried 294 and rolled out to 318. I did the walk off after that one. :D

When I grow up I want to hit the ball like that - nice numbers

When I grow up I want to hit the ball like that - nice numbers
I've worked hard to get back to this point. A couple years ago I made some swing changes to try and get more accuracy. In the process I lost a ton of speed and distance, and still wasn't any more accurate. It was easy to make swing changes in my 20s and 30s... not so easy in my late 40s. My body definitely doesn't move like it used to.

I've worked hard to get back to this point. A couple years ago I made some swing changes to try and get more accuracy. In the process I lost a ton of speed and distance, and still wasn't any more accurate. It was easy to make swing changes in my 20s and 30s... not so easy in my late 40s. My body definitely doesn't move like it used to.

I know that feeling, I am in the wrong half of my 40's as well and with back issues I don't have as much swing speed as I used to, but if I can keep the ball past 250yds off the tee with this driver I will take it

I haven't managed many 300yd+ drives but have been in the high 200's more regularly with this club and that makes the game a bit easier these days

Yes I normally play 9.5 in players drivers. I went 10.5 with the Flash SZ.

Yes - I play a 10.5* and have it set to plus 1 - it suits my swing quite nicely.

Loving this driver. Previous to getting the Epic Flash Sub Zero, I've only ever averaged 220-230, but I'm now closer to 240-250 which is insane to me. I can't describe how good it feels to be hitting a 6 iron into the green when I would normally have to hit a 4.

I'm also picking up my new Apex CF19 irons in a week or so, which is giving me an extra club in distance...so yeah Callaway can just run away with my wallet...

Played my driver a bunch over the weekend. Courses were windy, but the flight I get from the EF (paired with the Z Star in this case) kept me moving through there nicely. First couple of rounds particularly had some really strong drives. McLovin and OITW are at least a couple clubs longer with other clubs, but I was usually in their vicinity w/ driver.

On Saturday JB would drive up to me a ways away from the tee and was genuinely surprised that I was playing second from where I was.

18 was a long par 4 into the wind. I hit Scott’s 10.5 ts2 and the ball just spun in into the wind. Probably lost 30 yards from where I’d be playing. Had no chance at getting home from there. I can’t see the EF being replaced for a long time.

If anyone is hunting a 12 degree head, holla.

Played a quick 9 with my daughter. First round in cooler weather our way and I missed one fairway. Apparently a controlled swing at 80% is better than swinging out of your shoes. Who knew?
I had a tricky 289yd par 4 and I hit the trees to leave me with a short 20yd pitch shot for my 2nd. I love it. Still my favorite driver to date and I’ve hit some of my longest drives this year.

I played Wednesday at a local course and had great results with the SZ. 10/13 fairways total, 8/10 with the driver. The 2 fairways I missed, one was a pull left in the the opposite fairway (ball was crushed though) and the other was maybe 2 feet off the short grass on the left. Man it's a totally different game when you're playing from the fairways. :D

It really correlates to how I tee the ball for me

Last edited:
I played 9 yesterday. Picked the harder side. High 50s and windy. 5 of 7 fairways. 2 of those were comfortably at summer distances. 3 were easily into locations I’m thrilled to reach in the summer (but rarely do). Some of those balls were instances where I got audible feedback that I missed the middle of the face. I really couldn’t be happier with this driver

Last edited:
Back