Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

The triple diamond SZ continues to be the bright spot in the bag right now, hitting some real nice drives and some with good distance. Can't score to save my life right now but it is still fun to rip one out there. Well ripping might be 240 but still fun..

My last round with this driver was a bit of a mixed bag but the driver was not at fault. I got out without warming up and the first 3 holes showed it. All but the first were still playable but left. Once I got loose things started coming around and the last 2 holes with driver were stellar.
Drives off the toe and heel are immediately discernible but not as punishing as they should be. I can clearly tell in the sound at impact. Out of the middle it’s just an absolute cannon.
I’m still a huge fan of the carbon crown and clean aesthetics.

This driver continues to deliver the mail for me. I'm longer and straighter than last year, but most importantly I've reached a new level of confidence on particularly difficult tee shots. Shots where I used to club down or bail way out I am now selecting driver and going right at the ideal line (#11 at Morgan Creek and #18 at Peace Portal for example).
Still looks good, still sounds good, still needs a paint job haha.

This driver continues to deliver the mail for me. I'm longer and straighter than last year, but most importantly I've reached a new level of confidence on particularly difficult tee shots. Shots where I used to club down or bail way out I am now selecting driver and going right at the ideal line (#11 at Morgan Creek and #18 at Peace Portal for example).
Still looks good, still sounds good, still needs a paint job haha.

Customzzzzz!

It’s been an interesting year in my driver slot in 2019. I played the TS2 to start off and couldn’t find any success with it despite almost 7 months in the bag. So I went back to my old M2, found consistency but lost distance cause of the high loft. I decided to go find a new driver and test out everything, and I mean everything under the sun.

It came down to 2 standouts, G410 and the Epic Flash. I went with G410 for no real particular reason, but could’ve easily played the EF. (Naturally I got into the grandaddy less than a month later) This makes me real curious about getting an opportunity to hit it again in December.

Really enjoyed my EF driver with the Helium today...hit some absolute bombs and can’t wait to smash the ball again.

Had another range session last night. Man the EF SZ continues to shine. I haven't been very impressed with the last few Callaway driver offerings. But man, they got it right with this one. Low spinning head but not so low that it becomes an issue.

Had another range session last night. Man the EF SZ continues to shine. I haven't been very impressed with the last few Callaway driver offerings. But man, they got it right with this one. Low spinning head but not so low that it becomes an issue.

It's so good! More forgiveness than I would have expected too.

I have probably a dumb question...I have the Epic Flash Sub Zero as well - are there any signs to look out for if you think it might be spinning too low? I don't think mine is but I always wondered how one could tell other than the ball not going high enough and obviously going to the sims to check out the numbers.

I have probably a dumb question...I have the Epic Flash Sub Zero as well - are there any signs to look out for if you think it might be spinning too low? I don't think mine is but I always wondered how one could tell other than the ball not going high enough and obviously going to the sims to check out the numbers.
If you're spinning the ball too low, it usually looks like it's just falling out of the sky way too early. Either that or ballflight looks kind of like a knuckleball. Not enough backspin to sustain a stable ballflight.

Too low spin absolutely does exist. It could be ball flight. It could be knuckling. The best way is to grab a few numbers, because there are multiple ways of fixing it including the easy one of adding more loft.
Sometimes people talk about falling out of the sky with this, but that can actually occur with too much spin as well.

Too low spin absolutely does exist. It could be ball flight. It could be knuckling. The best way is to grab a few numbers, because there are multiple ways of fixing it including the easy one of adding more loft.
Sometimes people talk about falling out of the sky with this, but that can actually occur with too much spin as well.
That was the problem I had with the original epic flash. Couldn't get the spin much above 1400rpm.
Difference is with too much spin it goes way up before it comes down. ;)

I love my epic flash 3D. I have it with a hazrdus green TX in 10.5 and it is great! I had a ventus blue 7x before that that I think I liked a bit more. It had better feel but the hulk is still good.

I love my epic flash 3D. I have it with a hazrdus green TX in 10.5 and it is great! I had a ventus blue 7x before that that I think I liked a bit more. It had better feel but the hulk is still good.
You're an animal man. I tried the green in 6.0 and the regular 6.5 and it was stout as hell. That TX has to feel like swinging a fencepost! :ROFLMAO:

That was the problem I had with the original epic flash. Couldn't get the spin much above 1400rpm.

Difference is with too much spin it goes way up before it comes down. ;)

Way up is relative ;)

You're an animal man. I tried the green in 6.0 and the regular 6.5 and it was stout as hell. That TX has to feel like swinging a fencepost! :ROFLMAO:

Its not too bad, but if I do not get warmed up and have to go truck to tee and hit hit driver on the first hole it can be a bit rough.

Its not too bad, but if I do not get warmed up and have to go truck to tee and hit hit driver on the first hole it can be a bit rough.
Rocking the Hulk in a 60TX myself. I really like how crisp it feels. Haven't had a chance to hit the Ventus up to this point. The Hulk/EF combo looks crazy good with the PVD finish.

Rocking the Hulk in a 60TX myself. I really like how crisp it feels. Haven't had a chance to hit the Ventus up to this point. The Hulk/EF combo looks crazy good with the PVD finish.

I felt the atmos black was more "boardy" the the hulk. I do not get along well with that haft at all.

First round back with the Epic Flash after working with a number of different drivers and I forgot how much I enjoyed this one. I got solid distance today, but what impressed me again more than most I hit is the forgiveness toe side. I remarked to @McLovin once today that I caught it crazy high and towards the toe and the ball moved out there pretty good.

First round back with the Epic Flash after working with a number of different drivers and I forgot how much I enjoyed this one. I got solid distance today, but what impressed me again more than most I hit is the forgiveness toe side. I remarked to @McLovin once today that I caught it crazy high and towards the toe and the ball moved out there pretty good.
I've tested that spot on the face too and completely agree. I just look at the head and say "thanks, Callaway" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: JB

worked out great for you today. great forgiveness, but when you put a good move on it you hit it a ton. awesome sound too.

I’m having a mental block with the driver. My arccos sensors are showing me I can on average out hit my driver with my 5W.

When I first got it I was hitting it 265. Now my average is much much lower. I’m so afraid of a slice that I slowed my swing to the point of diminishing returns.

It’s clearly not the Epic flash. When I tell the playing partners I get paired with the story of THP and my win, they ask to try it. Then blister the best drive of their round with it. Take pictures of it and shaft. I think that giveaway has now sold 3-4 other drivers.

I need to take some lessons.

I bought the Epic Flash 9 degree used from a THP’er and am hitting it straighter than my XR16. I think my best hit vs. best hit maybe I have lost yardage? I have only played a few rounds with it and I am really happy with it despite my apparent yardage lost.

I have a feeling that I haven’t really lost much yardage and it is just playing conditions that have changed; courses here have been wet due to overseeing and versus dry and hard for most of my rounds with the XR16. So it is probably the case that I haven’t lost much despite what Arccos is showing. I base that on the fact that with my normal playing partners I seem to be driving past the guys I normally do and keeping up with the guys I normally do.

Arccos has my new smart distance at 238 and my old was 265; I re-paired the driver when I got epic flash and only have 28 drives versus hundreds with the XR16. I am at 65% fairways since I switched and was 52% before.

I have been tweaking the swing weight this week and have 4 rounds scheduled in the next 7 days and hope to see that smart distance number creep up as we go away from cart path only. If I can get closer to 250 Arccos smart distance and add accuracy, I will be ecstatic.

I am at 65% fairways since I switched and was 52% before.

That's nothing to sneeze at. I'd take a little loss in distance for that % increase in accuracy too.

Back