Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

My distance concerns were unfounded. The course I have played a ton I was in the same spots as normal today and I was more accurate. I fiddled with the swing weight today and it felt even better. I hit 10/14 fairways and that wasn’t all driver. Really enjoying Epic Flash

Arccos numbers:
20E5BEA3-852A-47D4-9555-48C7AD42AF35.png

4D484ED3-FBCA-4CB4-BE55-87AC5747B35F.png

Any THP’ers had success with adjusting the 9 degree driver down to -1 to 8 degrees?? I was just at the launch monitor thinking the opposite (+1 to 10 deg) would serve me better, but I was just launching that way too high. So I gave -1 a shot and got the tightest dispersion, more optimal launch, AND about a good 7 yd distance increase.

It just seems so counterintuitive to me, but I can’t argue with the numbers I’m seeing. Any one with a similar story? Btw my swing speed is around 96-97 mph, ball speed around 136-140 mph.

High launch is great as long as the spin isn’t too high. By the sound of things lofting down gave you a nice burst of distance. My CHS with driver is a hair over 100 mph. I normally launch a Pro V1 round 15° with 2400 rpm when I middle one. If I go high toe, launch spikes up a degree or two while spin drops closer to 2000 rpm. Overall distance on these two balls is pretty close but the toe ball may edge the middle strike due to the spin reductio.

My distance concerns were unfounded. The course I have played a ton I was in the same spots as normal today and I was more accurate. I fiddled with the swing weight today and it felt even better. I hit 10/14 fairways and that wasn’t all driver. Really enjoying Epic Flash

Arccos numbers:
View attachment 8914973

View attachment 8914972
Nice dude! It's hard to imagine you getting any straighter but that's awesome.

Nice dude! It's hard to imagine you getting any straighter but that's awesome.
I have gotten straighter with epic flash and I am loving it. 11/14 fairways today, 6/14 Sunday and 10/14 on Friday. I am using the same grip/shaft and only switched out the head and it feels great. Instead of having to try and control a big draw with my old driver, this one is really straight. Stats with this head since I switched:

FE2AA3E7-EE76-4D3E-BB24-8E8371910E3C.png

Any THP’ers had success with adjusting the 9 degree driver down to -1 to 8 degrees?? I was just at the launch monitor thinking the opposite (+1 to 10 deg) would serve me better, but I was just launching that way too high. So I gave -1 a shot and got the tightest dispersion, more optimal launch, AND about a good 7 yd distance increase.

It just seems so counterintuitive to me, but I can’t argue with the numbers I’m seeing. Any one with a similar story? Btw my swing speed is around 96-97 mph, ball speed around 136-140 mph.
I switched my Rogue to -1 on my 9 deg and it’s been great.

I have gotten straighter with epic flash and I am loving it. 11/14 fairways today, 6/14 Sunday and 10/14 on Friday. I am using the same grip/shaft and only switched out the head and it feels great. Instead of having to try and control a big draw with my old driver, this one is really straight. Stats with this head since I switched:

View attachment 8915457
Gotta love 65% fairways hit!

I think it is mis reading the club head speed a couple miles per hour high but the epic flash gives me the best numbers of any driver out there.

Attachments

• 853B3BFF-118C-4BF6-8555-F28973105A66.png
    853B3BFF-118C-4BF6-8555-F28973105A66.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 12
I think it is mis reading the club head speed a couple miles per hour high but the epic flash gives me the best numbers of any driver out there.
would you say that the efficiency is epic?

I had the strangest thing happen with the driver yesterday. Since I got this driver at ECPC the adapter has been set at +1/D. Over the weekend I was considering testing out other shafts and decided to just change the adapter setting to +1/N to see what would happen. All of a sudden yesterday I started hitting the ball straighter or with a baby draw eliminating my typical miss which has been a straight push. The only thing I can figure is that with the driver set up closed I subconsciously try to square it at impact and that is what causes the push as I overdo it. Anyone else have thoughts?

What were the launch and spin numbers you were seeing that you saw "too high"?

What were the launch and spin numbers you were seeing that you saw "too high"?
19 deg launch/3,000 spin with the 9 deg vs 15 deg launch/2,500 spin with 8 deg. So, not a huge disparity but it translated into a few extra yards.

The weird thing is my dispersion was tighter with the 8 deg setup.It turned my normal miss of a pull hook into just a slight pull but for the most part went straight or slight draw. I think it’s because dropping 1degree opens the face slightly IIRC?

I hit a ton with this setup expecting the inevitable fall down to earth that dropping a degree loft would give in terms of forgiveness, but it didn’t happen. Just solid shots all around.

The only thing I could think of is whether my driver’s loft might be wrong from the onset by a degree or something, which I’ve heard from here that it’s not that uncommon? Might be worth getting it checked out.

19 deg launch/3,000 spin with the 9 deg vs 15 deg launch/2,500 spin with 8 deg. So, not a huge disparity but it translated into a few extra yards.

The weird thing is my dispersion was tighter with the 8 deg setup.It turned my normal miss of a pull hook into just a slight pull but for the most part went straight or slight draw. I think it’s because dropping 1degree opens the face slightly IIRC?

I hit a ton with this setup expecting the inevitable fall down to earth that dropping a degree loft would give in terms of forgiveness, but it didn’t happen. Just solid shots all around.

The only thing I could think of is whether my driver’s loft might be wrong from the onset by a degree or something, which I’ve heard from here that it’s not that uncommon? Might be worth getting it checked out.

Curious if your miss is high on the face by chance?

But if it is working for you, that is all that matters.

Just got my fitting data back and although the irons and wedges were where I focused, I did run through my Epic Flash SZ driver and Epic Flash 5-wood just to get some numbers. I'll add them here as another data point for anyone looking for more data.

These are the averages of about 10 swings each all on an indoor trackman setup. The driver feels low from a swing speed perspective because it was a good 3-4 mph higher in my last fitting ( avg 108 with ~158 bal speed ) but that wasn't using a trackman. Maybe I was just swinging slower this time. **Shrug**

ClubSwing SpeedBall SpeedSmash FactorCarryTotalSpin RateLaunch AngleHeightAttack AngleClub Path
Driver104.8154.31.47258.6280.8258011.8903.1-0.1
5-wood98.0143.21.46229.1243.5356315.51171.51.9

Last edited:
Curious if your miss is high on the face by chance?

But if it is working for you, that is all that matters.
My miss is usually on the heel, I think. Yeah I guess I’ll just try out on the course and see if it actually works! Thanks for the input for sure.

I was able to get out for 9 holes last week and the Flash was almost point and shoot for me. Heel forgiveness is still very impressive to me. I hit one heel side where I went to look for my ball where I thought it had ended and couldn't find it. I dropped one thinking it was just in the leaves and hit my shot. I walked up another 12 yards and there was my original drive. I was really surprised at that result.

Yeah that's phenomenal carry for that ball speed. Dang dude!
I know the Quad reads my carry distance a little longer than Trackman does, but that's what happens when you're AoA is +5 ish and you make contact high on the face. With more centered contact (vertically) the ball speed jumps up to 154-156 ish, the launch comes down to 13, and the spin jumps to 2300 - which actually gave less carry but still a great ball flight.
Either way though, my averages with this driver are sweet. I've never had a combo like this where even my misses aren't really misses.

I know the Quad reads my carry distance a little longer than Trackman does, but that's what happens when you're AoA is +5 ish and you make contact high on the face. With more centered contact (vertically) the ball speed jumps up to 154-156 ish, the launch comes down to 13, and the spin jumps to 2300 - which actually gave less carry but still a great ball flight.
Either way though, my averages with this driver are sweet. I've never had a combo like this where even my misses aren't really misses.
I hear ya. From the testing I've done with mine so far, quad's carry distance reads a little longer and launch a little higher than trackman. My fitting had me at +3aoa on trackman at 12* launch netting 270carry at 160 ball speed. On quad it was 15* launch, +5aoa and 295 carry at the same ball speed. Which one is correct, who knows and who cares. I'll take either one if I can do it consistently. ?

For Flash users, is there any particular area on the face that you feel is hotter than any other? I have the Flash SZ and my experience is dead center impact yields the best results, can’t even feel the ball hit the face. Curious on others’ thoughts.

For Flash users, is there any particular area on the face that you feel is hotter than any other? I have the Flash SZ and my experience is dead center impact yields the best results, can’t even feel the ball hit the face. Curious on others’ thoughts.

Check out the Range Days video where @Canadan and I break down impact location of the entire face.

For me it seems like just slightly high and toward the toe the ball rockets off the face. I've hit some of the longest shots of my golfing life and many came from that location.

I get the most speed from #1, but the most carry from #2. I've definitely found the sweet spot is just heelside of center.
iMarkup_20191120_050609.jpg

Back