Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

You know what happiness is for an Internet Golfer?
Ordering a EF Driver with a HZDRUS Yellow Shaft because you feel like it fits you - No Fitting
Go through the entire year playing it and when the seasons over, Go to Club Champion and get verified that the shaft you ordered is the best shaft for you after you try 10 different shafts on the CC wall. So Happy!

I was able to increase my club head speed from 2 years ago - Really love this driver.
and @ArmyGolf is correct, speed on the bottom of the club face and Carry from the Toeish side.

Agree completely on the face mishits. Hit it low, speed increased, spins decreased, distance maintained or even improved. Higher on the face, carry is longer, spin increased, ball speed barely reduced. My sweet spot seems to be toe side center. With my in to out swing, I am holding off the draw more than worrying about the fade so in to out toe strike I **think** adds a bit more club head speed and a bit of gear effect and my best "hit it right, let it draw back to centerline" strikes seem to be toe side.

Agree completely on the face mishits. Hit it low, speed increased, spins decreased, distance maintained or even improved. Higher on the face, carry is longer, spin increased, ball speed barely reduced. My sweet spot seems to be toe side center. With my in to out swing, I am holding off the draw more than worrying about the fade so in to out toe strike I **think** adds a bit more club head speed and a bit of gear effect and my best "hit it right, let it draw back to centerline" strikes seem to be toe side.
I see the opposite of that, although it depends what you mean by "low". Low on the face always gives me a jump in spin and lower launch, while high on the face gives the beautiful high launch low spinners.

I see the opposite of that, although it depends what you mean by "low". Low on the face always gives me a jump in spin and lower launch, while high on the face gives the beautiful high launch low spinners.

Interesting. What;s you AoA? I am a huge sweeper so my AoA is fairly positive ( +3 to 4.5 degrees ) so when I hit it low on the face, my club is coming up at impact and I suspect deflects low reducing dynamic loft where as a high strike increases the dynamic loft and spin.

Low on the face increases spin for me as well. I'll see low 2000's to about 1700 from middle face to slightly above middle, and high 2k to low 3000's on low face strikes.

If you are talking about what happens when you hit a club high or low on the face, we urge people to check out our Range Days videos with @Canadan as we hammer out all of the details on what happens to numbers when impact location is moved. Every new driver in 2019 was covered in the different episodes and impact location vs speed, spin, etc was shown on every model.

If you are talking about what happens when you hit a club high or low on the face, we urge people to check out our Range Days videos with @Canadan as we hammer out all of the details on what happens to numbers when impact location is moved. Every new driver in 2019 was covered in the different episodes and impact location vs speed, spin, etc was shown on every model.

Thanks @JB ...I believe I watched that when it first came out but need to re-watch later tonight.

I switched my Rogue to -1 on my 9 deg and it’s been great.
Played a quick 9 today to confirm whether the new -1/D settings on my 9 deg matched up to what I found on the sims. Happy and extremely surprised to report back that this is probably the ideal setting for me as I hit it the most solid and consistent out of all the possible variations I tried. Still can't explain why, but at this point I'm just going to shut up and go with it!

In the past, I've never been one to try out the adapter settings since they rarely served me well. I'm so glad I gave it a shot this time around.

My Triple Diamond/Diamana ZF combo are proving to be a long and reliable combo. Nice mid flight that is far more penetrating than my M6. Funny thing is the two drivers with the same shaft, same SW and loft peak at the same heigh. The ??? peaks further down range.

Reactions: KEV
I had the strangest thing happen with the driver yesterday. Since I got this driver at ECPC the adapter has been set at +1/D. Over the weekend I was considering testing out other shafts and decided to just change the adapter setting to +1/N to see what would happen. All of a sudden yesterday I started hitting the ball straighter or with a baby draw eliminating my typical miss which has been a straight push. The only thing I can figure is that with the driver set up closed I subconsciously try to square it at impact and that is what causes the push as I overdo it. Anyone else have thoughts?
I have not useful thoughts for you, Phil, but you got me wanting to try changing from S/D to S/N since that push is my common miss too.

For Flash users, is there any particular area on the face that you feel is hotter than any other? I have the Flash SZ and my experience is dead center impact yields the best results, can’t even feel the ball hit the face. Curious on others’ thoughts.
If hit low on the face it goes further than any driver I have ever hit. Unfortunately, that is my miss. When I first got it, I was not doing it as much. I will be working this off season to get my launch higher. I am a low launch/high spin guy.

Last edited:
Does anyone feel that the stock Tensei shaft is more suitable for smooth swingers rather than quick and aggressive swingers such as myself? Would another shaft offering be more suitable for me to try? Got all winter to tinker with it.

Does anyone feel that the stock Tensei shaft is more suitable for smooth swingers rather than quick and aggressive swingers such as myself? Would another shaft offering be more suitable for me to try? Got all winter to tinker with it.

I had the stock 2018 Tensei Blue (50 gr, Regular) in my Cobra F8+ driver as opposed to the PX Evenflo Green 6.0 I have in my Flash, and I find trajectory between the 2 shafts are virtually identical. I will admit for my swing, I do find the Flash more balanced if that means anything. I will admit that I would describe my swing now as smooth as opposed to aggressive. I have found both distance and dispersion got much much better with the better tempo swing.

I think the Tensei AV is a solid all around shaft. It should work reasonably well for all swing style.

I would probably agree with that. I have the Tensei Blue 75X for mine. Based on feel alone, it actually feels a little softer than the S flex shaft I was fit in to at CC for my EF SZ. Whether it is or not, I have no clue.

I still have days when I can't believe how much better this driver is for me than the previous Callaway Great Big Bertha that was in my bag for the last few years

Seeing drives with my EF Subzero carry further than the total distance of the old GBB makes approach shots a lot shorter than they used to be

Hit a few 270+yd drives this week on the course in 50 degree weather. Absolutely annihilated and on a string. Can’t under show this SZ is this forgiving for me but it’s the driver to beat...for now. It feels great to be finding more fairways these days and a couple of them at near summer distances.

Would LOVE to be able to have the SZ in my bag. Now if only I had the ?in my bag too!!

Would LOVE to be able to have the SZ in my bag. Now if only I had the ?in my bag too!!

Prices are coming down, will be soon you will have this in your bag.

Hitting up a simulator with my dad and we have the exact same club and specs! I smell a long drive competition after our round with lunch and a beverage up for grabs!!!!

So I finally took my Epic SZ onto the course (Industry Hills Babe) and I have to concur with the previous reviews - mishits are loooonnnnggg especially thin shots. Not only are they long but they are accurate. My heel cut miss was a winner. While I do prefer the look of the Rogue SZ, the Epic Flash is definitely a step up in performance.

Fun day on the simulator today! Not sure how accurate the monitor was, but seeing driver SS in 110-115 range and hit a few with 285+ carry. Granted it’s not a real course and I don’t think the thing was “juiced”but still fun to hit it on the screws. Felt like the harder I hit it the better everything cooperated. Even my dad was throwing a few 260-270 today.

Back