Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Follow-up to my previous post... the Helium proto with custom paint job that I got a few years ago* feels pretty damn great in my EF driver.

*thanks to THP and UST Mamiya since I was in Shaft Spectacular #1

Last edited:
Follow-up to my previous post... the Helium proto with custom paint job that I got a few years ago feels pretty damn great in my EF driver.

I played a Helium in mine last round and loved it.

I had some mashed drives in league again tonight with the regular Flash. I've been missing fairways a little more than I would like but fortunately they are pretty small misses and in some cases it's because I simply hit it too far and through the fairway. This club has been a pleasant surprise for me because I don't traditionally get along with Callaway drivers but this has been a fantastic performer.

I’m really digging this Triple Diamond with Ventus shaft lately. I know I have no business hitting driver on virtually every hole, but this driver makes me want to, and I do. Even my mis hits go exceptionally long. Center face? Forget about it...

Attachments

• EAA2BA5A-9F79-4744-89C6-10E74C93A1D7.jpeg
    EAA2BA5A-9F79-4744-89C6-10E74C93A1D7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
DEmo'd this driver at the beginning of the year and was really impressed by the performance. Would seriously work with a fitter to get the optimum performance possible, which is something I've never done with my drivers in the past. I think this one requires however that extra effort so you can stand in the tee box and watch your ball go distances you didn't think posible.

This driver fricking goes! Being fit I think has a little to do with it but the tech in it is amazing! I'm seeing distances consistently that I have never seen. I have had multiple drives this year at 300+ which is not normal for me. Before this driver I was hitting 260-275. I'm seeing average distance 280-290 and then if I really get ahold of it I'm seeing the 300+. Even on bad hits I'm still seeing 260 which is nuts to me.

This driver fricking goes! Being fit I think has a little to do with it but the tech in it is amazing! I'm seeing distances consistently that I have never seen. I have had multiple drives this year at 300+ which is not normal for me. Before this driver I was hitting 260-275. I'm seeing average distance 280-290 and then if I really get ahold of it I'm seeing the 300+. Even on bad hits I'm still seeing 260 which is nuts to me.

I don't hit my driver that long, but being fit for mine has given me probably a good 30yds over my old driver

Hoping to work on my swing even more over the winter and see if I can pick up even more distance, but the gains I have seen already have made the game much easier and more enjoyable as it is

Currently play the Rogue. But the Epic Flash is on my “next” list.

Did some testing on GCQUAD tonight

4cdf6b21e4b9567248a894a49f7c4195.jpg

f865389452503cae8b2c9dbbcdf87a40.jpg

-1/D setting

358f2c0b8b3f20f2dcbfd6bee9e1153c.jpg

9827bd95c35ec64a2ce23feb841f507d.jpg

Decided to a chance on an Epic Flash w/ 6.0 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 Graphite, which is lighter than Oban. Hit it on the range for a bit it felt good, the ball seemed to have a more penetrating flight than my Epic but need to take it to the course & see how we do when it matters.

Please mister postman, ring my bell.

not so patiently waiting for the delivery of my driver.

Please mister postman, ring my bell.

not so patiently waiting for the delivery of my driver.

I hear yah, mine was delayed a week because of the hurricane moving through Texas last week

Having now played the M6, F9 and TS2 this year, I gave into temptation and got myself the epsz. Not disappointed!! What a driver. Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 60g (like in all the others I've played this year). So surprised at the level of forgiveness on this and the distance and feel are great. My favourite of the 4 by a long long way.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Been playing an Epic Flash Subzero with Evenflo Green (6.0) for a month now which I traded straight up for my previous Srixon Z785 driver and so far, I have never experienced such a significant improvement in dispersion and distance from any driver. Yesterday, with a little wind help I hit my longest drive on my home course Par 4, which we scoped at 295 yards. In fact, in 15 years playing my course I have never seen a longer drive. Performance continued throughout the round, just hope it continues. This driver just amazes how it performs with a smooth swing.

Now, I just have to figure out how to hit a 78-80 yard wedge shot :oops:

I’ve been missing the Epic Flash SZ Triple diamond since moving on from it. Need to track one down me thinks....

I really can't say enough good things about my Epic Flash. I've had this thing under full control for the last few weeks and I'm enjoying it so much. Great distance, ability to work the ball both ways, bad strikes seem to squeeze out way more than they should, and good strikes are just so perfect.

I was liking my epic flash with my previous shaft but Hzrdus smoke yellow has brought new life with flash. The combo is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still the best driver I have ever owned. Had several driver over 300 today. One of which led to a 40 yard pitch shot for an eagle 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost my driver swing for about 5 or 6 weeks. It would show flashes of brilliance and laserblike bombs and then low snap hooks would abound...smoking hot snap hooks were scary because they run forever. I took a few weeks to work on range time and groove something decent. I've been working through more lower body rotation to create a more modern swing. It's worked wonders for my iron game but the driver was the late bloomer. During my last round, I hit more fairways than I have in the last two months. This face is still stupid hot and I'm finding to be more and more forgiving with a solid swing.
The swing change has my carry averages down about 15yds on average but I'm getting 260yd drives that are in play and that makes me giddy!

i tried this driver twice on two different occasions this year. once when i felt i was swinging ok, another time when i was swinging very poorly. i would like to spend some time with it when i feel like i'm giving it a swing that doesn't resemble a train wreck because the club is very impressive. i think the consensus is we'll probably see a new line available for the grandaddy participants this year, but i wonder the fitter will still want me to give this some swings.

Whenever we get a round in, I’ll bring a couple higher launching shafts for you and let you give mine a swing or four. If I remember right, you had a fiberglass tip in your handcrafted so my setup probably won’t work well for you hehe

Whenever we get a round in, I’ll bring a couple higher launching shafts for you and let you give mine a swing or four. If I remember right, you had a fiberglass tip in your handcrafted so my setup probably won’t work well for you hehe

stop dodging me and maybe we'll finally get a round in. oh wait, that's me dodging you lol

i would love to take more swings with this. historically i haven't loved callaway drivers. they've always been monitor monsters for me, but never translated to on-course success.

as far as my thce16 shaft, i don't recall it having fiberglass in the tip. but that does remind me i need to reach out to don at some point and get a refresher on what its profile is, and what in callaway's current offerings will be close.

stop dodging me and maybe we'll finally get a round in. oh wait, that's me dodging you lol

i would love to take more swings with this. historically i haven't loved callaway drivers. they've always been monitor monsters for me, but never translated to on-course success.

as far as my thce16 shaft, i don't recall it having fiberglass in the tip. but that does remind me i need to reach out to don at some point and get a refresher on what its profile is, and what in callaway's current offerings will be close.

Maybe that was Mike G who had the fiberglass in the tip. I have no idea what your specs are then haha.

Also, quit dodging me!

Purchased an Epic Flash Sub Zero on Tuesday as I found this section of the forum and I have never really read a bad thing about them. One of the main reasons I purchased was I needed a new shaft in my M1 as it was a regular flex and I definitely needed to be in a stiff flex. Played my first round with it yesterday and I'm hoping that some adjusting needs to be done because I wasn't overly impressed. I felt a bit erratic off the tee but I do understand it was my first round out with it so I'm hoping a few adjustments will help. I bought it off the used rack at the local golf shop so it has a Project X Evenflow blue which I have in my 3 wood and love. Hoping to get out on Monday or this weekend and hit a few balls or play a quick nine to see if anything changes.

May also help to figure out the adjustments I can do on the club. That stuff is foreign to me.

Four of my six regular golfing partners play the Epic Flash and two of those are the SZ. I tested it on the Trackman outdoors with Snell MTB-X's and with 15 swings(swapping the shaft from my driver) it gave me 1.9 more yards than my original Epic SZ but I honestly prefer the sound of my SZ so much more that I wouldn't switch even if it was 5 yards longer.

Back