Callaway Epic Flash Hybrid Review

Just took my new 3 and 4h to the range and I'm a little confused. Both hybrids went about the same exact distance and both went 235-240 according to the Garmin. Must be something weird with the range balls or hitting off the mat.

Either way, will be testing them on the course at Pound Ridge tomorrow. Pete Dye may not be the one to try new clubs with but what the heck.

But these things do rocket off the face. I think in real life the 3 may go around 225 and the 4 around 215. Which means I would get rid of my 5 wood and keep my old 4h, which goes around 205. Like @Jman said he would need to do.

I am loving this hybrid and the way it is so easy to hit and launch high. Used it a couple times in last nights round and didn't have any issues with it holding greens. I did have one fly the green because I didn't choke down enough to account for the shorter distance, but it looked good as it sailed right over the top of the pin.
I just ordered a 5H to fill a gap in the bag and hoping I have the same amount of luck with it as the 4H.

Several guys have asked why they didn't give me the new Mavrik hybrids, simple answer was Gerrit the fitter new what he was doing. He didn't like the way I was hitting the Mavrik or the ball flight it was giving me so the EF was the best choice.

New doesn't always mean better when it comes to making sure what you have fits your swing.

Though I would give an update on these hybrids. Lots of newer hybrids on the market but I find these to be some of the best. I have the 4 and 5 and hit them from the tee/fairway/rough without issues. Nice high ball flight that lands soft.

I put the 6h in play for the past few rounds. Already bagging the Flash driver, 7w and 11w, which are not the best sounding but tolerable, the hybrid to my ear was the worst sounding the bunch.

Also as someone who normally draws the ball even in the D setting I found it very hard to turn over, so I kept losing balls to the right.
I ended up moving it last night on the bay.

Kinda bummed it didn't work out for me as it looked great in the bag with all the other Flash covers.
Was definitely long though. The 27* even lofted up to 28 or 29* was as long as my normal gamer 26* hybrid.

Concur with some of the comments above. Put the Flash 5H in the bag (24 deg, adjusted to +1 and D setting). It's longer than my exotics EX10 4H (22 deg). Very long, harder to turn left, sound is not the best. Also playing Flash driver, 3W, and HW. Sometimes it seems like the 5H is not much shorter than the HW when hitting them side by side. All the Flash stuff is hot and long (to me). I'll keep the hybrid in the bag and keep working on it, but that also means I have more of a gap between the 5H and my 6iron, I may need a 5iron again to cover.

Have a 3h headed my way. Been interested in a hybrid for a while, and this will be my first. Excited to give it a go!

Have a 3h headed my way. Been interested in a hybrid for a while, and this will be my first. Excited to give it a go!
Have it in my driver and 3 wood and they are solid heads. Good distance with decent forgiveness.

I still have both the 4H&5H in the bag and love them. Gaps perfectly with the rest of my clubs and I can use a tee option or off the deck.

Im still gaming the 3H, 4H, and 5H in epic flash. They are still the best hybrids ive hit to date. Easy to turn over or hit straight. Have the oban revenge shafts (85o4) in them and the green on green looks great to boot. These hybrids are long and so easy to hit, they allowed me to take the 5 wood and 5 iron out of the bag. I do have to keep them in neutral setting though as in the D setting they can get a bit hooky for me.

Took this out today, no range time just straight to the course. Hit it pretty well overall. A couple from the wet rough I caught a but heavy, but had thrse 2 from the fairway:

Saved me after I caught the tee shot low on the face. Got me to the front edge where I left the eagle putt woefully short...

Screenshot_20220602-130510_Shot Scope.jpg

This one I needed to carry a creek, and I did, by about 2 yards. Never usually attempt to clear the creek in 2, but I eanted to see what this could do.
Screenshot_20220602-130502_Shot Scope.jpg

These continue to be great clubs for me, I have both a 4H and 5H and can use both off the tee or fairway and rough. Distances have been consistent with them.

Yep I waited too long to get a hybrid in the bag, but glad this is the one! A good drive put me in position to go for the green, and I made the front with a nice piercing shot that stayed on line the entire time. Mossed the long eagle putt, but converted the birdie.

Screenshot_20220615-215814_Shot Scope.jpg

Back