Callaway EPIC Flash vs. Mavrik or Mavrik Max Driver

ttucliffhanger

2024 Bag Boy Championship - Aqua Men
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I’m contemplating moving from my EPIC Flash to a Mavrik or Mavrik Max. I moved to the Max fwy woods and it was a great move for me. They were a lot better for me than the Flash woods. Just curious if anyone else moved from the flash into a Mavrik and what benefits and/or drawbacks you saw?

So I’m contemplating moving from my EPIC Flash to a Mavrik or Mavrik Max. I moved to the Max fwy woods and it was a great move for me. They were a lot better for me than the Flash woods. Just curious if anyone else moved from the flash into a Mavrik and what benefits and/or drawbacks you saw?

paging @dacatalyst41

Wait.

:censored:

If you liked the fairways better, you would like the driver better also.
I know there is new driver coming, but you will be able to pick up the Mavrik line cheaper. They have already been marked down.

What are you looking to gain versus what are you willing to lose to switch? I ask because the comfort you have with you current drive will certainly be different upon switching to new mav line up. I will say I switched from EF 9* to Mav sz 10.5 to mav max 10.5 and the dispersion and forgiveness I gave up going to SZ from EF was a lot but the flight and ability to control the shot was worth it. Now going to max from SZ means I give up the flight I prefee to have easier time hitting fairways.

So.... what are you trying to say?? #redacted 🤔
We all know if someone knows something they can’t answer that or any questions about new product so let’s not go down this rabbit hole. Coming back from the Grandaddy everyone knows lips are sealed until they are told they can talk about it publicly.

It depends on what @ttucliffhanger is looking for. I thought sound and feel were improved but the difference in performance was marginal to the comparable EF head. That said, I think the Mavrik was a bit lower spin and that was an improvement over the standard EF for me. It’s a hard question to answer when the new hotness is on the horizon.

We all know if someone knows something they can’t answer that or any questions about new product so let’s not go down this rabbit hole. Coming back from the Grandaddy everyone knows lips are sealed until they are told they can talk about it publicly.
No need to jump at him brother. I was indeed saying that, and not saying anything at all. Teasing it is aok, no one is spilling any beans.

What are you looking to gain versus what are you willing to lose to switch? I ask because the comfort you have with you current drive will certainly be different upon switching to new mav line up. I will say I switched from EF 9* to Mav sz 10.5 to mav max 10.5 and the dispersion and forgiveness I gave up going to SZ from EF was a lot but the flight and ability to control the shot was worth it. Now going to max from SZ means I give up the flight I prefee to have easier time hitting fairways.
I’m looking for a little more forgiveness. I had the standard EF woods and when I hit them well they went like rockets but I lost a lot to the right. When I switched to the Mav Max fwys I am back to my regular fade shot shape and I have gained more consistency with them. I don’t expect to gain distance if I switch, just looking for a little more forgiveness.

Yes understood hence the hashtag 😉. We also know that Jman is one to THP resident testers, so wondering when the review will drop

No need to jump at him brother. I was indeed saying that, and not saying anything at all. Teasing it is aok, no one is spilling any beans.
I didn’t mean it to come across as jumping on him. Just putting it out there that someone always asks the question they know can’t be answered so I’m order to get others from jumping on the bandwagon and asking questions that can’t be answered was the only reason I said it.

It depends on what @ttucliffhanger is looking for. I thought sound and feel were improved but the difference in performance was marginal to the comparable EF head. That said, I think the Mavrik was a bit lower spin and that was an improvement over the standard EF for me. It’s a hard question to answer when the new hotness is on the horizon.
Lower spin would also be something I could benefit from on the driver.

Yes understood hence the hashtag 😉. We also know that Jman is one to THP resident testers, so wondering when the review will drop
Sorry didn’t mean to come off like an a$$. Just trying to prevent someone from asking the question that can’t be answered bc it tends to surface every time lol.

I didn’t mean it to come across as jumping on him. Just putting it out there that someone always asks the question they know can’t be answered so I’m order to get others from jumping on the bandwagon and asking questions that can’t be answered was the only reason I said it.
Not taken that way... I know and respect the rules and I certainly know @Jman will uphold said rule... just a little banter to express interest

I’m looking for a little more forgiveness. I had the standard EF woods and when I hit them well they went like rockets but I lost a lot to the right. When I switched to the Mav Max fwys I am back to my regular fade shot shape and I have gained more consistency with them. I don’t expect to gain distance if I switch, just looking for a little more forgiveness.

so here’s the crazy part for me:
I went from 13.5* EF fwy to 3 max and couldn’t control flight or dispersion because shaft I chose was horrible (ventus red 7s). I switched now to mav SZ 4w and while it’s not longer off the tee it’s definitely a fairway finder without even trying because the added loft and neutral face angle just allow me to swing like I did with the EF. Like I said, what to gain versus what to lose. If you want more forgiveness and consistency, don’t forget to include adding loft to the equation of possibilities.

@ttucliffhanger just curious, what models are you looking to switch to? Also stock shafts or you have a combo in mind already?

I Like the MAvrik Fairways a bit better than the Epics... so tried the driver and fell more in love with the B21 Driver. so the B21 is getting the starting spot for now -- best driver out there for me -- your mileage may differ.(y)

@ttucliffhanger just curious, what models are you looking to switch to? Also stock shafts or you have a combo in mind already?
I currently have the Flash w/ Even Flow green and it’s a good combo. On my fwy woods I went to the Max w/ Evenflow riptide and really enjoy them. So was leaning towards a Max w/ the riptide and try the head in my Green as well.

Sorry didn’t mean to come off like an a$$. Just trying to prevent someone from asking the question that can’t be answered bc it tends to surface every time lol.
It’s the art of the tease :ROFLMAO:

All good dude!

But I’d still wait. ;)

My experience was the Mavrik line sounded different (better according to many), had no real spin difference, zero distance difference and was a bit better on dispersion.

I had the Epic Flash before replacing it with the Mavrik at the Grandaddy. I’d say performance wise on good strikes you won’t notice a difference outside of a better feel and sound. And that cannot be understated in my eyes. Hands down, the Mavrik feels light years better.

On off center strikes, I think the Mavrik is more forgiving with the updated AI face. The standard Mavrik is kind of a marvel to me in the sense that it’s really forgiving without having a traditional high MOI. They accomplished a lot with the face there. Allowing it to be a low spin head and forgiving all at the same time.

I think the toe side miss isn’t as penalizing either. If you liked the Epic Flash I think you’ll love the Mavrik lineup.

Back