Callaway Epic Forged Irons - Looking for Feedback

GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone gamed the Epic Forged irons? Obviously they have strong lofts. The 7 iron has a 27-degree loft. By comparison, I just bought MP20 HMBs. The 7 iron in that set is a 32-degree loft. The HMB have 120g Nippon shafts. The Cally had the Mitsubishi AV Silver graphite shaft which is much lighter at (I believe) 60g. The Cally 7 iron is a little over 1/2 inch longer. I took the Cally's on the course (demo) to compare.

Based on the specs, one would think the added 5 degrees of loft on the Cally 7 iron, and extra shaft length would result in roughly 12-15 additional yards, but the Cally was more like 25 yards longer. And during hitting, the misses on the HMB were more pronounced in terms of lost yardage. The Cally's distance on mishits seemed to cost maybe 5-7 yards where I lost 10-15, or more, with the HMB.

Added to the above, I've played the HMBs for 3 rounds now and can't seem to get flush feeling shots. Every shot feels slightly "clunky" and labored which is weird because I have a set of Wilson Staff FG-51's from 1991 and the shots feel far better, even off-center shots.

So I'm curious if others game the Epic Forged.

Everything you need should be here!

Everything you need should be here!
Thanks! I actually did a search before posting and this didn't show up, at least right away!!!

Thanks! I actually did a search before posting and this didn't show up, at least right away!!!

No problem, I remember because I was reading through it the other day. These seems like great irons.

Has anyone gamed the Epic Forged irons? Obviously they have strong lofts. The 7 iron has a 27-degree loft. By comparison, I just bought MP20 HMBs. The 7 iron in that set is a 32-degree loft. The HMB have 120g Nippon shafts. The Cally had the Mitsubishi AV Silver graphite shaft which is much lighter at (I believe) 60g. The Cally 7 iron is a little over 1/2 inch longer. I took the Cally's on the course (demo) to compare.

Based on the specs, one would think the added 5 degrees of loft on the Cally 7 iron, and extra shaft length would result in roughly 12-15 additional yards, but the Cally was more like 25 yards longer. And during hitting, the misses on the HMB were more pronounced in terms of lost yardage. The Cally's distance on mishits seemed to cost maybe 5-7 yards where I lost 10-15, or more, with the HMB.

Added to the above, I've played the HMBs for 3 rounds now and can't seem to get flush feeling shots. Every shot feels slightly "clunky" and labored which is weird because I have a set of Wilson Staff FG-51's from 1991 and the shots feel far better, even off-center shots.

So I'm curious if others game the Epic Forged.

I have played five or more rounds with the Callaway Epic Forged irons. I did not see the additional 25 yards that some report, but I definitely saw a good club extra distance than what I am accustomed to seeing. The biggest benefit that I saw is what you noticed, extremely good results from bad strikes. The set that I played have Catalyst 100 6.0 shafts. I was told at the recent Small Batch Event with Project X/True Sports in San Diego that the Catalyst 100 plays stiff to flex and that it is not a shaft the provides a lot of kick. So, that could be some of what I noticed when I have played the set of Epic Forged irons available to me, but although not giving me an extra 25 yards per club, that combination is still the longest set of irons I have ever hit, but the dispersion was also ridiculously good.

I say to anyone who doesn’t mind spending the dough, the Epic Forged irons should be given careful consideration.

yeah, been hitting them for a few rounds ... have the 6i - gw; pm me if you want any details or anything! good luck with your choice

I recently received an Epic Forged 4 iron from my secret Santa. Holy crap! I have only been to the range one time with it and it felt great and was more forgiving than I thought it would be; the longest iron I had was a 5 iron because I struggled with 3 and 4 irons in the past. I am not exactly sure how far it was going with it being range balls and I had no easy way to measure, but my guess was 200-210. My current big Bertha 5 iron is 180.

This felt so good that I was searching for used sets when I got home. I have always played a super-game improvement iron and this club has me rethinking that. I don’t have funds to do anything but enjoy this 4 iron for now, but I will definitely broaden my search next time I buy clubs.

Last edited:
I only hit a 7 iron on the simulator but it left a huge impression. There is no doubt I'll have at least have a couple in the bag to replace my hybrids. They look, feel and perform amazing!

If the player will benefit from this type of profile, these are truly amazing irons. I had narrowed my choice for my 2020 bag down to these and the Cobra Forged Tec. I think I have committed to the Cobras, but I would be perfectly happy with these in the bag, too.

If the player will benefit from this type of profile, these are truly amazing irons. I had narrowed my choice for my 2020 bag down to these and the Cobra Forged Tec. I think I have committed to the Cobras, but I would be perfectly happy with these in the bag, too.
Those look amazing as well. As I said, eliminated lots of clubs that I probably shouldn’t have when I went shopping 6 months ago. There are a number of clubs I will look at going forward: epic forged, cobra forged tec and Ping g700 are three that are high on my list.

When I went to my free fitting in October to optimize my current clubs, he actually fit me into the Pings but I am just not in the market to buy right now.

I am curious what did you see as the upsides and downsides for either. Both are on my short list.

i’ve only tested the star version with the stock shaft. it felt really hot, but interestingly it was so low spin i actually hit the x forged and mb farther.

I am curious what did you see as the upsides and downsides for either. Both are on my short list.

The upsides to both are easy distance, although the Epic Forgeds are a bit longer. They both feel great to me. I like the profile of the Forged Tecs a tad more, although to my eye, the Epic Forged actually appear to have less offset. I feel like the Forged Tecs are a tad more flightable, and spin more. I really don’t think my score would be better with one v. the other. It probably comes down to personal preference and, likely, pocket book, because the Epic Forged are more than twice the price. That is the real upside of the Forged Tecs. The value is there, especially with the Cobra Connect (Arccos).

i’ve only tested the star version with the stock shaft. it felt really hot, but interestingly it was so low spin i actually hit the x forged and mb farther.

That is almost shocking that the traditionally lofted player profile would give you better distance. Wow, what a testimony to going for a fitting before buying.

That is almost shocking that the traditionally lofted player profile would give you better distance. Wow, what a testimony to going for a fitting before buying.

it was crazy. but not dissimilar from my experience with the super hybrid; i was hitting it shorter than a higher lofted driving iron mostly because of better launch and spin.

but like you say, with a proper fitting i would expect the epic forged to be awesome for me.

I hit the Apex Irons further than the Epic Forged and I have the Trackman result to show it.

I hit the Apex Irons further than the Epic Forged and I have the Trackman result to show it.

I loved the EPIC forged 5 to 7 irons, but they were the only ones that they could maintain a close to correct SW with my shaft / grip choice which was D2-D1, a C9-C7- AW is not a lot of fun to hit for me.
Proper choice of components is critical to the build from my experience, don't assume just because it is offered it will work out.

I loved the EPIC forged 5 to 7 irons, but they were the only ones that they could maintain a close to correct SW with my shaft / grip choice which was D2-D1, a C9-C7- AW is not a lot of fun to hit for me.
Proper choice of components is critical to the build from my experience, don't assume just because it is offered it will work out.
And I think that’s happened to me. I got the Apex in the standard SW.

They are amazing and I kick myself for not sending them to Will to be fixed up. I ended up spending way more money and wasted more time. I have never hit a 5 iron like the that, easy 200yd club which is nuts for me.

Back