Review Callaway Epic Forged Irons

I was at the PGA show today and spoke with one of the designers of the Mavrik irons and he said the Mavrik Pros give much of the performance of the EF at a better price point.

Interesting.

Interesting.

Agreed. I asked that exact question. He didn’t say they were the same but that they have a lot of the same benefits. It makes me want to try the EF and MP in a fitting. I would guess that some of the GD people tried them head to head.

Agreed. I asked that exact question. He didn’t say they were the same but that they have a lot of the same benefits. It makes me want to try the EF and MP in a fitting. I would guess that some of the GD people tried them head to head.
The Epic Forged and Mavrik Pros may feature some if the same tech. But, I think they're targeting different players at their core.

The Epic Forged seem to be higher launching and a but lighter. They're both long as can be. I didn't hit the Epic Forged at ECPC. I think the Mav Pros offer some of the benefits. But, not quite all while being in a more compact size.

@HarryPotter tried them both during his fitting. He may be able to speak more to their differences or similarities.

The standard mavrik irons would be closer to the epic forged.The lofts are the same and the offset and sole width would be similar . I currently have the rogue x irons and I am considering the mavrik irons or the epic forged if I can get a set at a decent price

While Epic Forged is designed for low to mid caps, the AI optimized tech built into Mavrik's face place it above EF in the forgiveness (and $$) category. I absolutely love the EF irons. They're an absolutely great looking premium iron, no doubt, and I love having the chance to play them. The Mavrik (the Max in my case) was a more forgiving iron, and Trackman proved it. The Max, Standards, and Pros all have the unique AI-designed face that aids that forgiveness.

I've contemplated these with some UST 95f4 or 95f4 protos, but man that would be an investment. A guy can dream though, maybe I'll drop a few birthday hints to my wife and see if anything crazy happens:love::unsure:

The standard mavrik irons would be closer to the epic forged.The lofts are the same and the offset and sole width would be similar . I currently have the rogue x irons and I am considering the mavrik irons or the epic forged if I can get a set at a decent price

The lofts between the Mavrik and Epic Forged irons are the same, but the Mavrik irons have about twice the offset and a much thicker top line. The Epic Forged offset does align more with the pros but in a less compact head, especially in the longer clubs.

That would be a nice, natural transition from Rogue X to Mavrik. Get you that A.I. face tech in a very competitively priced set. And both of those sets are the “long” version of their respective lines.

If you are able to hit both the Mavrik and Epic Forged, let us know your thoughts. I’d be curious to know how you thought each performed. And good luck with your purchase!

Aren’t the soles are also thicker on the Mavrik and Mavrik Pro’s than the Epic? I really like the little offset and thinner sole of my Epic Forged 4 iron.

Aren’t the soles are also thicker on the Mavrik and Mavrik Pro’s than the Epic? I really like the little offset and thinner sole of my Epic Forged 4 iron.

I think the standard Mav has a much thicker sole, but I’m not sure about the pros. I must have thought they looked similar because I did inadvertently grab @radiman’s Pro 8i instead of my Epic Forged. Or I just had too many blueberry vodka lemonades by that point...

Played these today and really liked them again. My score was better than my shotmaking, but each time I had an iron in my hand there was a unique confidence that I could pull off any shot. They launch quickly, fly high and land softly, all with a distance that is fantastic.

Interestingly, the Epic Forged are a full club stronger lofted than the Mavrik Pro’s in the long irons. I will be interested to get both on the Trackman and see if the tech is that much different on the Epic Forged that it requires the stronger lofts to hit the same launch windows as the Mavrik Pros. The Epic Forged 4 iron is also longer in length than the Mavrik Pro 3 iron.

37F4BB08-61F9-4463-AEF1-1319FE9DA2A9.jpegFB3F30F6-4DD9-4356-9A09-94F930B22E87.png

They also have different offset, different camber and different lie angle.
They also have completely different faces and materials used.

Other than that they are the same. I kid I kid. :ROFLMAO:

They also have different offset, different camber and different lie angle.
They also have completely different faces and materials used.

Other than that they are the same. I kid I kid. :ROFLMAO:

Nothing has been standard for a long time as far as lengths, lofts, lie angles, etc. It sure makes fitting paramount but only about 20% of the golfers I know have been through a proper iron fitting and these are all guys that are members at private clubs and go on multiple golf trips each year. The odds of getting the correct fit on an off the rack set for your average golfer is less likely than ever when each manufacture has such a variance with length and lie angle between each model. Heck, it’s very possible my irons are not the correct length because that has never been anything other than a static fitting in any of the fittings I’ve had done. I’ve always been very sensitive to lie angles and can spot the difference between different models or manufactures with my eye but length of irons is something that I’ve never experimented with on course like I have with woods and putters.

I really don't know how Callaway is going to improve them in 2 yrs for the next iteration... I'm certain they will come up with something amazing and it will be mind supernova-inducing....

This however, till then, isn't leaving my bag.... and most likely my sight... both my kids have wandering club-itis..... They need to stay away!

There are a few clubs in my bag that I am not sure about ever replacing and the epic forged 4 iron is one of them. Off the tee, this thing is unbelievable.

these in a long iron continue to haunt me haha

I’m maybe a week or two away from ordering an EF 6 iron. The 4 iron is a lot prettier than the old 503h from 2007 it replaces. The 6 iron will fill that 195-200 yard spot that my 5 iron now occupies. I certainly don’t need it but I sure do want it. ;)

I’m maybe a week or two away from ordering an EF 6 iron. The 4 iron is a lot prettier than the old 503h from 2007 it replaces. The 6 iron will fill that 195-200 yard spot that my 5 iron now occupies. I certainly don’t need it but I sure do want it. ;)
You're kind of a boss too, so I am sure it'll be a laser.

I'm still waiting for my 5i to be built.... sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh... i have a hybrid to yank out for it.

I've never considered the 4i... that thing scares me. From address, it looks like it has the loft of a putter

I cannot speak highly enough of these clubs. It takes a couple of weeks to work them into your bag but after that it’s fireworks. Get a cpl of extra wedges and get after it. I know that the longer irons are fascinating but the mid to low irons are just as playable.

You're kind of a boss too, so I am sure it'll be a laser.

I’m trying to recapture my youth and these are easier and cheaper than than anything else I can think of. :LOL:

hahaha figures you'd come in here and torment me you sly devil.
I like to consider myself the voice of reason. As in there's no reason you shouldn't do it ?

these clubs and I... just don’t get along. Going to keep at it and maybe do some adjustments, but I just don’t feel comfortable looking down at them. Can’t put my finger on it

Back