Review Callaway Epic Forged Irons

I used the epic forged 4 iron on the first tee shot on Sunday and almost hit it into the trap I was trying to layup in front of. What a freaking weapon it is off the tee; I have been consistently hitting it off the tee to my normal Big Bertha 3W distance. FWIW, my drives are usually in the 265 range and this monster off the tee has consistently been 240 yards on a well struck tee shot.

I don’t get anything like that off the deck with it, though. Off the deck, I am consistently better with 5W.

I bet that is a nice setup. The 5 iron is a rocket launcher.

Rocket launcher is a term often used, but very accurate in this instance. I still wonder whether I could make use of an Epic Forged 4 iron. For a while, the F9 4 iron was my favorite club in the bag last year. I think the Epic Forged have even more juice.

Rocket launcher is a term often used, but very accurate in this instance. I still wonder whether I could make use of an Epic Forged 4 iron. For a while, the F9 4 iron was my favorite club in the bag last year. I think the Epic Forged have even more juice.
This is what I've been considering as a driving iron option.

This is what I've been considering as a driving iron option.
I wouldn't shy away from using a 5 iron as a UT either. Loft isn't everything. But, at 21 degrees, it would match a 3UT of sorts. Once the ground thaws and I am finally able to play on real turf, I will put this 4 iron through its paces. If I need additional launch I wouldn't think twice about going to a 5 iron in this same line. For those that are thinking about using this as a UT, I would recommend graphite if you are currently using steel in your irons. It does seem to launch pretty low for me, even with a graphite shaft that is about 30 grams lighter than my iron shafts.

Well today i went to the range to give a driver a stretch,club pro seen my Maverick and ask have you tried the new irons and i siad no and he quickly handed me Maverick pro 7 iron,i currently use titleist AP3 and they seem to work for me.I proceeded to warm up with my 7 iron after a few swings i switched clubs,immediately i felt a solid feel at moment of impact ball had a beautiful trajectory and was at least 5 yards longer than my AP3,but the fun didn't end there, i had a few miss hits and the ball was pretty much on target just lost some distance. I was a happy man prior to hitting the new 7 iron and now I need to explain to my wife why these new irons will save my life or something like that...
c37398257889444c31fa4c24b69e4342.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't shy away from using a 5 iron as a UT either. Loft isn't everything. But, at 21 degrees, it would match a 3UT of sorts. Once the ground thaws and I am finally able to play on real turf, I will put this 4 iron through its paces. If I need additional launch I wouldn't think twice about going to a 5 iron in this same line. For those that are thinking about using this as a UT, I would recommend graphite if you are currently using steel in your irons. It does seem to launch pretty low for me, even with a graphite shaft that is about 30 grams lighter than my iron shafts.

I have the Epic Forged 4 iron but only played a few rounds with it last fall so I'm looking forward to getting it out for a full testing as soon as the courses open. I'm considering putting an EF 6 iron in the bag as well to replace my Srixon Z565 5 iron. It should be about a 195-200 club for me. My other 6 iron would fill the 182ish spot.

I'm really excited to get these irons back on the course. But the twice-a-week sim sessions have really helped me dial in the yardages. When playing courses on the sim, I take every other iron, trying to get used to hitting different yardages for each. I've been really happy with the PW, which generally carries 125. But I've been able to play shots up to 135 and down to 110.

I generally don't play an A wedge in the set and usually have a specialty wedge in that spot. The A wedge in the set is a great wedge, can still get plenty of spin and stopping power. Great for chips that need some roll out.

I was HUGELY frustrated with my performance yesterday with the 9i and 7i at my TrackMan Combine. I scored 6 points better on average despite scoring worse this time from 140, 160, and 180. I was especially frustrated with how poorly I struck the 7i. It was not pretty.

Well today, on the course, was much better. After holing out for birdie on 6, I hit a beautiful 7i on 7 to give me another look at birdie:

9lU6sNlPSgG80qhZWtCasw.jpg

My PW at the Combine was amazing. And it was great today too. It feels very versatile to me.

I have played these irons for quite a while now. After changing my bag set up, I’m not sure what it will take to take these out of the bag. I feel like I have amazing distance control with these. Dialed in.

I’m confident in all the shots that I try...and I try them all. I pull way more shots off w these irons than any I can ever remember. Trajectory high or low? YES Fade or draw? YEs

I’m no longer surprised with the ease of the distance but know that it will be there. Today I had 160 out of a fairway bunker. No panic I knew the 9 was a comfortable distance (15 ft humble brag). Hard ground, soft ground even desert I’m able to control.

No doubt these are expensive but if you play a lot I’m not sure you can overlook these.

These are so much better than the og epics; agree, I’m not sure what Callaway can do in the next iteration at this point to make them better (I’m also certain they will come up with something)...

I had a crazy good day with these today. Shot the yardage to the pin and was grabbing the correct club every time. I missed a few greens from pulling the ball left but the distance was always spot on in relation to the pin.
I haven't had any issues getting a ball to stop on the greens, getting good height on my shots and enough spin also. Twice today I back up the set AW 3-4 feet.

I had a crazy good day with these today. Shot the yardage to the pin and was grabbing the correct club every time. I missed a few greens from pulling the ball left but the distance was always spot on in relation to the pin.
I haven't had any issues getting a ball to stop on the greens, getting good height on my shots and enough spin also. Twice today I back up the set AW 3-4 feet.
Congrats on your round. That’s awesome. I’ve yet to encounter these irons not backing up the ball up to 8 iron with forgiving greens. Best damn irons ever.

Nothing but continued great performance with these irons. Shot of the day was a 158y to a slightly elevated green. Bit down wind, to much for an 8 iron for me, but perfect for a 7 iron and choke down just a bit. Shot hit into the slope on the green and rolled just over the ridge out of sight. It rolled just over maybe 3 feet and stopped about a yard from the pin.
There is plenty of forgiveness in these irons, and you can work the ball both ways without much issue.

I was only on the practice range but totally agree! My shot of the day was a 175 yd 6 iron, just felt pured. Just a beautiful shot and these irons make it effortless. I hit the Mavrik irons in GG, and have to say, they cannot compare to the feel of these irons

I was only on the practice range but totally agree! My shot of the day was a 175 yd 6 iron, just felt pured. Just a beautiful shot and these irons make it effortless. I hit the Mavrik irons in GG, and have to say, they cannot compare to the feel of these irons
It is great to see the ball just launching and boring thru the sky, not ballooning but going high and arcing over and landing and sticking close to the ball mark. There is a different feel when you catch one in the middle, like you don't feel it but just here the click of the ball off the face. It gives you enough feedback to know if you caught it good, or a bit towards the toe. And even those toe shots don't lose much distance.

I bought an used set but need them bent 2 Up. But no one locally does it. I'd have drive over to Little Rock to get it done and the golf courses have been closed.

They are worth it; I sent in 5 boxes of used clubs to get enough credit to afford them but totally worth it!

I had a good day with these irons today. Hit a few shots that kinda surprised me. Had 136y to a pin deep on the green, pulled 9 iron and went off the back. Had a couple 100-110 yard shots with the A wedge today that landed and stopped with in 2 feet of the ball marks.

I liked this picture.

The wedges through 8 iron look so good with this set of irons. Very clean. If I had to play 7000 yard courses All the time, I almost certainly would play these irons. They are such a great combination of long and clean look behind the ball.

I am still loving my Epic Forged irons. Shoot the pin for distance and grab the club and go. My 6 iron is starting to get out there closer to the 180 mark as I have been making better contact. Paired with the Recoils it is just a nice balanced iron.

Wisconsin re-opened courses yesterday, so I finally got to put these irons through the paces again. I was really pleased with the performance. These irons are so explosive, launch high, and land soft. I hit 3/4 par 3s, with the one miss pin high just off to the right. The best strike was a 130 yard PW. This hole shouldn't be hard, but it is an island green, so that adds a little stress. Birdied it for the first time following this tee shot:

IKi9UdRdQCqJ6nEfjTfPdg.jpg

Greens were soft but the ball stopped on a dime.

The other shot that made me most happy was on the par 3 10th. It's a long Par 3 for me at 184, so I've never really loved it. I was playing with only 12 clubs too, so I didn't have my 5H with me. I chose 6i because there was no danger short. With the group ahead watching to let us play through, I pured a 6i that finished pin high, missing about 15 feet to the left.

These are just very fun irons to hit.

The Epic Forged irons where on point today. As @JMB3 stated, they launch high and land soft with enough spin that I never had a ball stop more than 10 feet from the ball mark today even when playing downwind.
I definitely have distances dialed in with these and don't have to second guess distances at all.
Shot of the day today would have been on the Par 3 8th hole, 164 to the pin. Had a 5mph tail wind and the 7 iron was perfect, pin high and 15 feet left.

4i cut down a little with a Recoil 95 or 110 F4 still sounds like a fun experiment

Back