Review Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Great review, James!

I just had some fun with the 6 iron on trackman. I asked him to put it to Colorado but he refused at kept me at sea level hahaha!! Either way though, these things HAMMER the ball!!

5381c6ecdbab24169660df94b07a3495.png
:eek:

correction: Dan hammers the ball. #DanHammer :sneaky:

Great review, James!

I just had some fun with the 6 iron on trackman. I asked him to put it to Colorado but he refused at kept me at sea level hahaha!! Either way though, these things HAMMER the ball!!

5381c6ecdbab24169660df94b07a3495.png

Aside from hammering the ball, what other thoughts do you have about the irons?

Aside from hammering the ball, what other thoughts do you have about the irons?
It's awesome. It's not ugly at address, puts a fantastic sound on the ball, and that sound resonates for the kind of feedback I want. Even lets me know when I hit one like garbage.

Price is absolutely a hindrance for me, but I'd totally put a 4 iron the bag.

As always great review @Jman They look phenomenal for sure, but likely a bit out of my comfort zone in terms of my skill level. The Apex's were a bit much for me, so likely not able to make these work in both price and ability.

Great review James, some will know that I had some serious issues with Swing weighting and that turned me off to the set I had.
But properly setup these could work for a lot of people, being older the added distance was a big plus. I saw at least a full club of more from the APEX pro 19.

As always great review @Jman They look phenomenal for sure, but likely a bit out of my comfort zone in terms of my skill level. The Apex's were a bit much for me, so likely not able to make these work in both price and ability.
Great review James, some will know that I had some serious issues with Swing weighting and that turned me off to the set I had.
But properly setup these could work for a lot of people, being older the added distance was a big plus. I saw at least a full club of more from the APEX pro 19.
Thanks gents, I really appreciate it.

Jim, I agree, they’re just really long. It’s crazy to wrap ones head around. Still bummed for younit didn’t work out.

I've posted in the other thread about these irons......but I just love them. I've been playing these for about 6 weeks now and could not be happier.

I know the lofts are jacked but in all honestly I just play one club down (for example I consider the gap wedge my old pitching wedge). The height and spin I get with these irons have held every type of green I've played so far. But the consistency is there because I know if I make a smooth swing these irons will just go.

The look of these irons is just unbelievable. Get compliments everywhere. The top line is thin enough to be considered a player iron. After two weeks playing these my confidence was high. The sound and feel is good enough for me. This has never been the most important feature for me, I know other golfers have different priorities.

My only complaint is that the 4 iron is difficult for me to get height off the fairway enough to carry into par 5s. More like a line drive that carries as long as the 6 iron and rolls forever. This was not an issue off the tee though. More practice time is needed, but in the meantime it has been replaced by the Apex 3 hybrid.

Thanks gents, I really appreciate it.

Jim, I agree, they’re just really long. It’s crazy to wrap ones head around. Still bummed for younit didn’t work out.

It was just a really stressful thing with the THP Event coming and it just could not be straightened out in time, after the Event (actually after Saturday's round) I was just sick of the whole affair and emailed Will.

Not that properly setup clubs would have made much difference, but at least I would have had some confidence going in.

They are beautiful clubs and who knows I may go back down that road at some point. Talking with AJ at dinner and he was just as shocked it could not be figured out.

So got my first round in with these today. They are long. I hit two 145 yard 9 irons which is really long for me. Very forgiving. Hit an 8 iron on 160 yard shot, hit it low and on the toe and it still got in the green. I love the stwwlfiber FC pairing with these. Getting great launch. These make good fun for me again. Also the look smaller at address than I thought they would. Not super bulky at all

So got my first round in with these today. They are long. I hit two 145 yard 9 irons which is really long for me. Very forgiving. Hit an 8 iron on 160 yard shot, hit it low and on the toe and it still got in the green. I love the stwwlfiber FC pairing with these. Getting great launch. These make good fun for me again. Also the look smaller at address than I thought they would. Not super bulky at all

How was the sound compared to what you where playing? Loud crack, muted or just nice and soft?

I read this all as "holy **** James' review was right!"
Hahahaha!

How was the sound compared to what you where playing? Loud crack, muted or just nice and soft?
There's no loud crack here, unless you miss pretty significantly. Then they get a little sharp.

I read this all as "holy **** James' review was right!"
Hahahaha!
Your review was spot on.
I know everyone hollers about clubs being delofted, this set 9 iron launches same height as my old 9 iron it’s just a 15 yards longer and I had zero problems with holding the greens.

I have played 3 rounds with a set of Epic Forged irons (borrowed). They were spread out over the last month. I hit 15, 14 and 12 greens. Not one issue holding greens. @Jman’s review is spot on. Although the price point is crazy scary, I don’t think I have ever tried anything that is better if the goal is distance, playability and a decent looking/feeling package. Oh, and I have tried a lot of different offerings, being a superior club ho.

Your review was spot on.
I know everyone hollers about clubs being delofted, this set 9 iron launches same height as my old 9 iron it’s just a 15 yards longer and I had zero problems with holding the greens.
They're FUN. A lot of FUN.

I wish I'd had a crack at putting a whole set into play. I don't need the distance, but man I'd love to see how it would gap/flow through the bag.

They're FUN. A lot of FUN.

I wish I'd had a crack at putting a whole set into play. I don't need the distance, but man I'd love to see how it would gap/flow through the bag.

Maybe I will be able to bring my friend’s set to California next week.

Just pulled the infernal R flex 70g Steelfibers this morning (actually they’d be really good for people in that range) and I’m installing the Elevate X100’s in them tonight.

Finally.

Drug my feet long enough.

Moved this from the old thread to the review thread.

Phil just put the 4-6 in his bag this week.

I am interested in these irons but have concerns about the low spin design holding greens. If Phil can make them work at the highest level of the game then they should work for a lot of golfers. I create too much spin with my current PTx set. My 8 iron was spinning over 10,000 yesterday on the Trackman so I am thinking these may be just right with the correct shaft. I hit the Epic Forged 7 iron at PGA SS a while back and loved the look and feel. It carried in the 190 range which is just crazy long but it just seems so easy to hit. I am intrigued.

I am interested in these irons but have concerns about the low spin design holding greens. If Phil can make them work at the highest level of the game then they should work for a lot of golfers. I create too much spin with my current PTx set. My 8 iron was spinning over 10,000 yesterday on the Trackman so I am thinking these may be just right with the correct shaft. I hit the Epic Forged 7 iron at PGA SS a while back and loved the look and feel. It carried in the 190 range which is just crazy long but it just seems so easy to hit. I am intrigued.
I said it in the homepage review and will here too, they legitimately do exactly what they claim to, and do it incredibly well.

Not the most affordable, but maybe the most tech heavy out there. And for spin, not as low as many anticipate, but yeah lower than a players CB for sure.

I knew he put one in but didn't know it was actually 3! I wonder what yardages he's playing each of those.

I knew he put one in but didn't know it was actually 3! I wonder what yardages he's playing each of those.

Very LONG!!!! ;)

Just scheduled some time at the callaway demo day at my home course oct 26th. 45 minutes that I plan to be all with these bad boys. Want to see how these compare to the P790s.

Back