Review Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Saw this last night when I was on the site. To bad as it is a great iron. But everything moves forward.

If it were discontinued, you would think Callaway would take it off the website. Curious...

Several recent posts speculate about the future of this offering. Right now, it appears to be unavailable.

View attachment 8955729
I am sure people more in the know could answer better than I could - But I don't put stock in anything right now from an availability perspective.

Connections between sales and available stock have been nothing short of rough for golf companies in 2020.

I am sure people more in the know could answer better than I could - But I don't put stock in anything right now from an availability perspective.

Connections between sales and available stock have been nothing short of rough for golf companies in 2020.

totally agree. Supply chain issues would explain all of the seeming inconsistent info.

totally agree. Supply chain issues would explain all of the seeming inconsistent info.
It's a wonderful product - I can't imagine them just dumping it unless something is on the horizon.

It's a wonderful product - I can't imagine them just dumping it unless something is on the horizon.
Could be all kinds or reasons, but is a great set of irons for sure.

Yeah, I posted something a few days ago - reaches out to Finley; I think it’s more that demand hasn’t kept up with supply. He indicated that both the Epic Forged and Epic line was continuing but they had a backlog to work through.

Just speculation - but I guess they are waiting to clear the backlog before accepting new orders.

Anyway, I hope I didn’t misinterpret Finley’s response and we will see them back! He did say they have a 2 year cycle so I wouldn’t expect new ones till next year eoy at the earliest.

There’s also quite a few on Callaway Preowned site; issue would be if you can’t just yet get fit into them..

but I really don't know how they improve on these.

I agree. They are an incredible iron. I played them last week for the first time in a few months (have been playing the Mav Max), and they have such a nice feel to them. I have no doubt that the Max iron is an overall better club for my game at this time, the Epic Forged is such a nice piece of equipment, and Callaway did an amazing job.

Seems odd to be unavailable already but as some have said, there could be a lot of reasons

Played in heavy winds today. Was able to flight the ball down a few times when I needed to. Plenty of spin and decent angle to stop the Chrome Soft on the greens and be close to the ball mark.
Great combination with the Recoil 95's, but sometimes wonder what they would be like with a set of Modus 105's or some C-Taper Lites.

Played in heavy winds today. Was able to flight the ball down a few times when I needed to. Plenty of spin and decent angle to stop the Chrome Soft on the greens and be close to the ball mark.
Great combination with the Recoil 95's, but sometimes wonder what they would be like with a set of Modus 105's or some C-Taper Lites.

If I were ordering a set, I would maybe go Recoil 95’s, just like yours.

When I went to order them a month ago they were unavailable. Spoke to Callaway CS and they confirmed they are no longer in production, they did not specify why. They recommended I go to Callaway Pre-owned site. They have plenty of options there. Found a set where only the 7i was demoed the rest were brand new. Save probably 500, not a bad trade off.

When I went to order them a month ago they were unavailable. Spoke to Callaway CS and they confirmed they are no longer in production, they did not specify why. They recommended I go to Callaway Pre-owned site. They have plenty of options there. Found a set where only the 7i was demoed the rest were brand new. Save probably 500, not a bad trade off.
Such a short cycle.

I’m keeping mine. Quite happy with the ordinance of them.

A year is a short cycle - definitely keeping mine. I wonder if they are being refreshed this year or if they needed the line for something else to be produced

Funny story. Hit these a month ago at a retail store.. 2 up, +1/5 inch shaft. Loved the feel and ease of use. Bought the pre owned set form callaway as they weren’t available on callaway maim site. Went to get them bent 2° weaker, no one would touch them. The yardage scared me.. too long.. I said, I’m going to return them as they were still in the window for a full return and they weren’t hit yet. Got an RMA, boxed them up, dropped them off this morning at UPS around 8:30am... thought about it all morning if it was the right call.. had a break in the day around noon. Went to the local golf shop.. wanted to try the Apex and Apex pros as I was going to get a combo set once I got the refund... hit 20-30 balls.. just didn’t feel as smooth and buttery.. went in the parking lot and called UPS and asked if the box was picked up yet. They said no, not til 4pm. I told them to hold it and I was going to pick them up. They are low back in my possession and I think I couldn’t be happier. I’ll just need to work on what my real yardages now as I’ve only hit the 7i when I demoed them. What... a...day...

Funny story. Hit these a month ago at a retail store.. 2 up, +1/5 inch shaft. Loved the feel and ease of use. Bought the pre owned set form callaway as they weren’t available on callaway maim site. Went to get them bent 2° weaker, no one would touch them. The yardage scared me.. too long.. I said, I’m going to return them as they were still in the window for a full return and they weren’t hit yet. Got an RMA, boxed them up, dropped them off this morning at UPS around 8:30am... thought about it all morning if it was the right call.. had a break in the day around noon. Went to the local golf shop.. wanted to try the Apex and Apex pros as I was going to get a combo set once I got the refund... hit 20-30 balls.. just didn’t feel as smooth and buttery.. went in the parking lot and called UPS and asked if the box was picked up yet. They said no, not til 4pm. I told them to hold it and I was going to pick them up. They are low back in my possession and I think I couldn’t be happier. I’ll just need to work on what my real yardages now as I’ve only hit the 7i when I demoed them. What... a...day...
Hahaha, sometimes you don't know what you've got until it's almost gone.

Not sure why you couldent get them bent. Mine are 2 degrees weak and have nippon 1050 steel shaft. My clubbuilder said they were one of the softest easy to bend clubs hes ever done. He said he did have to use a decent amt of tungsten to get some of them around d2 swing weight. Heads must be really light. These are the best irons ive ever owned and ive had A LOT. Even bent 2 degrees weak they are still a full club longer than the cf19s for me so it did take some time getting used to distance but once dialed in these clubs are monsters. My only minor gripe is the 6 and 7 irons are a little chunky. Top lines are still decent but the back of the club can sometimes be visible which I dont like. Also the black paint on back of iron seems to look great on some irons that get heavy use and worn down on some irons that dont get used that much not sure why the inconsistency there.

Not sure why you couldent get them bent. Mine are 2 degrees weak and have nippon 1050 steel shaft. My clubbuilder said they were one of the softest easy to bend clubs hes ever done. He said he did have to use a decent amt of tungsten to get some of them around d2 swing weight. Heads must be really light. These are the best irons ive ever owned and ive had A LOT. Even bent 2 degrees weak they are still a full club longer than the cf19s for me so it did take some time getting used to distance but once dialed in these clubs are monsters. My only minor gripe is the 6 and 7 irons are a little chunky. Top lines are still decent but the back of the club can sometimes be visible which I dont like. Also the black paint on back of iron seems to look great on some irons that get heavy use and worn down on some irons that dont get used that much not sure why the inconsistency there.

These clearly can be bent. That is one of the main reasons the body is forged. I am puzzled why some club guys are reluctant to do so.

These clearly can be bent. That is one of the main reasons the body is forged. I am puzzled why some club guys are reluctant to do so.

my perception was. One guy seemed intimated by the clubs so in reality he was doing me a favor by passing. The other two were not concerned of breaking them more of adding 2° of bounce. Claimed it could take away some of the forgivenes, feel and possibly more thin shots which scared me away. I just didn’t get the confidence from them it was the right thing to do. It’s like I’m almost waiting for a club maker to say to me “yeah, I got this... it’s a great idea, it’ll help XY and Z” but I just haven’t got that yet from anyone (except here but unfortunately for me you guys aren’t adjusting my clubs). Hope that makes sense.

I was dialed in on the back nine today and the irons performed amazingly. I have heard a couple people say they don't spin enough to hold greens but on firm greens today I had no issues.
3 shots on the back nine stand out,
1. Par 3, 139 with a cross wind and hit an 8 irons pin high that hit and stopped dead about 2 feet.
2. Par 4 approach shot from 146, down wind and stuck and 8 iron to 2 feet. That ball hit and stopped 4 inches from the ball mark.
3. 3rd shot on the par 5 from he bunker, 109 yards with a PW that hit the green and stopped about 3 feet from the ball mark.

All of those are more than acceptable.

Pretty good iron day in heavy winds. Was able to flight a few shots when necessary . No issues holding greens.
They continue to be consistent on distance control and forgiveness.

What a fun day with the irons today. Took the approach of clubbing up and just maintaining good smooth swing and was hitting a lot of green and the distance was dialed in. These irons go high enough and have enough decent angle to help with a lower spinning ball I played today.
Have really enjoyed my time with this set of irons this year and will play them through to the Spring for sure.
There are other irons I want to try but right now these are doing everything I need in an iron.

Had a great day at the range with mine today! Hitting 5-9i solidly; very much enjoying the feel and substance of these irons

Back