Review Callaway Epic Forged Irons

my perception was. One guy seemed intimated by the clubs so in reality he was doing me a favor by passing. The other two were not concerned of breaking them more of adding 2° of bounce. Claimed it could take away some of the forgivenes, feel and possibly more thin shots which scared me away. I just didn’t get the confidence from them it was the right thing to do. It’s like I’m almost waiting for a club maker to say to me “yeah, I got this... it’s a great idea, it’ll help XY and Z” but I just haven’t got that yet from anyone (except here but unfortunately for me you guys aren’t adjusting my clubs). Hope that makes sense.
How are you feeling about these now, a bit down the road? I should have responded ot this sooner, but I really don’t think most people would notice a two degree change in bounce.

Had a good day with these irons today. Had a few shots where I was able to flight the ball to get a shot I needed and it worked out. Distances have been spot on all year with these and have never noticed any flyers since I have been playing them.
I had the lofts and lies checked after about 50 rounds and they had not moved.

Had a good day with these irons today. Had a few shots where I was able to flight the ball to get a shot I needed and it worked out. Distances have been spot on all year with these and have never noticed any flyers since I have been playing them.
That‘s pretty impressive they’ve stayed consistent in loft/lie. Always a concern of mine how much my irons ‘wander’ haha

That‘s pretty impressive they’ve stayed consistent in loft/lie. Always a concern of mine how much my irons ‘wander’ haha
They need to be checked again, I have another 50 almost since the last check.
I don't take those big divots like you real ball strikers do. ;)

One of the greatest thing about this iron is how consistent it is for an iron that also really generates big ball speed.

Played 9 today with the family in perfect weather...getting really comfortable with the long irons (5i for me)... Not the distance I’d like but certainly the accuracy!

Played 9 today with the family in perfect weather...getting really comfortable with the long irons (5i for me)... Not the distance I’d like but certainly the accuracy!
I will take the accuracy over distance any day.

I will take the accuracy over distance any day.
Agreed! I’m very glad I got a set of these before they were gone. So much better than the OG Epics in 2017

Agreed! I’m very glad I got a set of these before they were gone. So much better than the OG Epics in 2017
Will be hard to find another set to replace these.

Played today and the irons performed great. Using the Srixon Soft Feel ball I had plenty of shots into greens that held and the ball didn't roll out more than 3-4 feet. Not having any wind today was a good day to make sure distances where still dialed in and they seemed spot on.
Best shot was an approach from 137 yards, 9 iron to 3 feet. Plenty of height to get the ball to stop close to the ball mark.

Played these irons in heavy winds today and was still able to flight them down when needed. Even with the wind I was able to stop the ball reasonably close to the ball marks. Turf interaction is great even in the dormant zoysia.

Hey @Canadan since I was closing in on 100 rounds this year, and had some free grips for my clubs I thought I would have them check the lofts an lies again. Only one iron had moved, (the 8 iron) which I use a lot!!! It went from one flat to standard lie and the loft was off 1 degree. The rest where spot on. I guess that is from being more of a sweeper and taking small divots.
New MMC +4 grips Black/Green installed.

Hey @Canadan since I was closing in on 100 rounds this year, and had some free grips for my clubs I thought I would have them check the lofts an lies again. Only one iron had moved, (the 8 iron) which I use a lot!!! It went from one flat to standard lie and the loft was off 1 degree. The rest where spot on. I guess that is from being more of a sweeper and taking small divots.
New MMC +4 grips Black/Green installed.
Nice!!!

That's pretty tight right there.

These irons continue to impress!!! Played the ERC Soft ball and Srixon Soft feel today and with the height of the shots I was hitting balls where stopping with in 3-4 feet of the ball marks. (I did have a couple that ran out more but those where on down wind shots). PW from 112 that stopped 3 feet from the mark and just past the pin by 6 feet.
Put new MCC +4 grips on these irons and it feels like I have much better feel now.

These irons continue to impress!!! Played the ERC Soft ball and Srixon Soft feel today and with the height of the shots I was hitting balls where stopping with in 3-4 feet of the ball marks. (I did have a couple that ran out more but those where on down wind shots). PW from 112 that stopped 3 feet from the mark and just past the pin by 6 feet.
Put new MCC +4 grips on these irons and it feels like I have much better feel now.

Snicks, you are the man! Appreciate your constant reviews and updates man ;-)

Snicks, you are the man! Appreciate your constant reviews and updates man ;-)
Thank you. I really have enjoyed golf with these this year and they have made the game easier for me. To bad they are being discontinued, but I bet Callaway comes up with something to gives just as good.

I put a set of GP MCC+4 grips on my irons and really like the feel of them. We have zoysia fairways at our home course and the irons have no issue getting through it. Enough bounce that the club heads aren't going under the ball either.
Shot of the day was an AW from 98 yards to 3 feet with a Srixon ball that only moved about 3 feet from the ball mark. Just a nice high shot that came in steep and stopped as it should.

These irons are just flat out performing for me!!! Last 2 rounds have been 10 GIR each round and I'm usually closer to 5-6 a round.
Has been much colder lately and clubbing up with a smooth swing has been working great. Nice high ball flight and holding greens is not an issue.

I’m loving mine. Yes, testing other options but these are my gamers right now. Solid performers, feel great; Callaway really made something special here.

I’m loving mine. Yes, testing other options but these are my gamers right now. Solid performers, feel great; Callaway really made something special here.
For any person who likes a fairly compact head, a middle of the road sole width, not a ton of offset and gorgeous design, but really needs a boost in ball speed, it would be very difficult to find a better performing set of irons.

As many of us have watched @jdax’s fascinating thread to find a set of 2021 irons, my mind comes back to these Epic Forged irons. Although the irons have been discontinued, there are sets to be found. I have seen several on Callaway pre-owned. I cannot stress enough how truly awesome these are and I would stack them up against any other distance iron with a fairly small profile package, including the new Mizuno JPX 921 HMPs. These feel really great and generate some mind blowing ball speeds.

As many of us have watched @jdax’s fascinating thread to find a set of 2021 irons, my mind comes back to these Epic Forged irons. Although the irons have been discontinued, there are sets to be found. I have seen several on Callaway pre-owned. I cannot stress enough how truly awesome these are and I would stack them up against any other distance iron with a fairly small profile package, including the new Mizuno JPX 921 HMPs. These feel really great and generate some mind blowing ball speeds.
Well said and they are great irons. Mine are back in the bag after doing some testing on other irons.

Taking these back out for a round tomorrow. Really a great pairing with my Nippon shafts I was fit into!

Taking these back out for a round tomorrow. Really a great pairing with my Nippon shafts I was fit into!
I had mine out today and hit 12GIR. Nice being able to hit an 8 iron instead of a 7 or even possibly a 6 when I had the ZX7 irons. I don't have issues holding greens even today at 45°. Going to be a hard decision to decide if I want to switch irons this year or just keep on with these. Especially when the first round out is 77.
Which Nippon shafts do you have in them and why did you go that route?

Back