Review Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Just bought the CF19s.
Must resist watching video.
Must resist.
Resist.
Re.

Wow great video.

Damnit.

One of my weekly playing partners who has lost some distance at age 66 picked these up recently so I’ve had a chance to hit some approach shots with them. They look and feel great and are very long. Not surprising considering the 7 iron has 27* of loft, less than my 6 iron loft. They do, however launch it high enough and I think spin enough for me to hold greens properly. I’d definitely have to add a 5th wedge if I played these as this PW carries about 145+ for me and my current GW carries 119. It’s good to see the distance tech in this pretty of a package and it’s something I would consider when age slows down my swing speed. No denying for many of us the strong lofts are good for the ego!

So the couple of times I have had these out I've struggled with the 6-7 irons because, well, I'm not a very good golfer.
However 9-GW has performed unbelievable for me. I'm hitting into greens and sticking the ball closer that I ever have to the flag.
So I have decided to mix these with my Rogue X irons. Go 6-7-8 Rogue X and then 9-PW-AW-GW Epic Forged.
Kinda like a Apex Combo but a SGI/GI Level.
#Golfisfun

The internet sees "flyers" and Phil says hold my beer. :oops:

I wonder what specs Phil has for these and how much the lofts and lies differ from stock.

I wonder what specs Phil has for these and how much the lofts and lies differ from stock.

Yes, I bet quite a bit of tweaking from stock specs.

All the way to the 6?!

Wow.
I knew he put some in play. Surprised that he went down to the 6 as well. I assumed it was just the 4. I don't remember seeing an iron come out that puts up this kind of distance in a package that is as attractive as this.

I know the price will put these out of the range of a lot of golfers. But, given the performance that people are seeing, this has to be considered a success by Callaway. I still hope that the 4 iron ends up in the bag. Felt better and went longer than my X Forged UT. The X Forged UT was straighter. But, I would love to try the X Forged in something other than this Steelfiber shaft to see if it can't be straightened out.

Im sure. The tech hasn't changed though :ROFLMAO:

Im sure. The tech hasn't changed though :ROFLMAO:
But, but, but, tecnhnology hasn't really improved from MB's!

Signed,

Angry Internet Golfers Everywhere

:p:LOL:;)

OK, I’ll bite on one of these irons. Glad THP is here to get me ordering new clubs just as we go into winter.:ROFLMAO:

CC51DD93-6941-4F40-A179-E781270A94E8.jpeg

You should email Ryan at Budget.

Just sent Ryan a note, thanks for the tip. My club normally has prices that are tough to beat. My set of 8 Srixon Z765/565 irons were only $865 with the DGX100 AMT Tour shafts. RTX wedges were only $106.

Last edited:
Will do. My club normally has prices that are tough to beat. My set of 8 Srixon Z765/565 irons were only $865 with the DGX100 AMT Tour shafts. RTX wedges were only $106.

People are reporting some amazing prices from them right now on all of the latest clubs. A PM is super easy. @Ryan_BudgetGolf

Great review, James!

I just had some fun with the 6 iron on trackman. I asked him to put it to Colorado but he refused at kept me at sea level hahaha!! Either way though, these things HAMMER the ball!!

Wow, those numbers make my 88 mph 6 iron ss look downright inadequate!

Phil just put the 4-6 in his bag this week.

Listening to The Fitting Room podcast, and Nate said that Phil liked the Epic so much he asked for a 3i as well. The builder had to break the news to Phil that they don't offer it in a 3.

Listening to The Fitting Room podcast, and Nate said that Phil liked the Epic so much he asked for a 3i as well. The builder had to break the news to Phil that they don't offer it in a 3.

Likely because the 4 iron at 18* will be a beast. I’m in the process of ordering the 4 iron and even my 54 year old swing will likely hit it 215+ yards. Phil would nuke it 260, lol.

Likely because the 4 iron at 18* will be a beast. I’m in the process of ordering the 4 iron and even my 54 year old swing will likely hit it 215+ yards. Phil would nuke it 260, lol.
Right. Could you imagine a 14-15* iron. That thing would launch low bullets.

Right. Could you imagine a 14-15* iron. That thing would launch low bullets.
Yep, maybe good for 200+ yard recovery shots from under the trees.:)

Yep, maybe good for 200+ yard recovery shots from under the trees.:)

I had to take the 4 iron out of my bag because I could not get the carry that I needed off the fairway. They were straight bullets that would carry 200 and roll out another 30 yards. Most of the courses that I play either have bunkers or water in front of most greens so I ended up just laying up short. I replaced the "4 iron" with the Apex 3 hybrid and the carry issue was fixed. Off a tee though, the 4 iron was able to carry with no issue for me. I think it may just take a little more work with the 4 iron off the deck, but so far loving the Apex hybrid.

Also with these irons I now carry 6 wedges technically.......PW and AW (Epic) as well as a 48, 54, 60 and 64.

I had to take the 4 iron out of my bag because I could not get the carry that I needed off the fairway. They were straight bullets that would carry 200 and roll out another 30 yards. Most of the courses that I play either have bunkers or water in front of most greens so I ended up just laying up short. I replaced the "4 iron" with the Apex 3 hybrid and the carry issue was fixed. Off a tee though, the 4 iron was able to carry with no issue for me. I think it may just take a little more work with the 4 iron off the deck, but so far loving the Apex hybrid.

Also with these irons I now carry 6 wedges technically.......PW and AW (Epic) as well as a 48, 54, 60 and 64.

I'm a high ball hitter (ESZ 8* driver with tip stiff shaft)so I'm hoping I get along with the 18* Epic Forged. I'm guessing it will launch just as high or higher than the 19* Titleist driving iron that has been in my bag since 2007. I own several hybrids but I just don't control the trajectory very well with them compared to my old Titleist.

People are reporting some amazing prices from them right now on all of the latest clubs. A PM is super easy. @Ryan_BudgetGolf

Soooooo good with the prices - hooked me up Big Time.

Will these be at Ultimate Weekend, very curious to see how they perform.

Seems like you fixed it with the hybrid, but would you consider swapping the shaft out in the 4i?

Back