Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Hi Michael....thanks for reaching out. I fight high spin and my current shaft in my Epic Flash Sub Zero is a soft, high spin shaft, an Evenflow Green 6.0 (55 gram).. I find I have to be very dainty otherwise the soft tip takes over and “trouble”.

As I said I was looking at either the Ventus Blue 5S or the Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX. I am not a fan of a soft tip plus I like the softer middle to help me load and combined with the counter balanced properties I hope to get a little more zip. Unfortunately we are in full lockdown for next month or so , so no where to test. Appreciate any guidance Mike....thanks.
When you say high spin with a EF SZ, how high are we talking? What about launch angle? Average swing speed? What is your normal ball flight?

I can’t recall spin numbers as was in June 2019 but recall fitter said was high and he was messing with heads/shafts very quickly. I would say my launch angle was around 15-16 but memory is short. I know my SS is between 93-97 but will be higher end since cortisone shot in shoulder couple weeks after fitting. My current flight is mid flight, no issues there.

Little head to head tonight. There are some thing I like and dislike about both.

I love the shape of the sim2. The callaway is a bit stretched front to back for my taste. The standard speed I think has a better shape from the top.

the LS has amazing feel and an amazing flight.

both were equal on ball speed. I think the SIM2 oddly launches higher.

The color of the callaway is awesome to look at and I love that they got rid of the crown line of the epic flash.

View attachment 8988572
View attachment 8988573t
[/QUOTE
Little head to head tonight. There are some thing I like and dislike about both.

I love the shape of the sim2. The callaway is a bit stretched front to back for my taste. The standard speed I think has a better shape from the top.

the LS has amazing feel and an amazing flight.

both were equal on ball speed. I think the SIM2 oddly launches higher.

The color of the callaway is awesome to look at and I love that they got rid of the crown line of the epic flash.

View attachment 8988572
View attachment 8988573t

Nice! I hit both but on different days. For me the epic max ls looks better and felt better. I also had the chance to hit it with several shafts. Sim2 with the stock ventus blue was a little lower spin, I think, and better at keeping from too much left, a recent challenge. Performance was close enough between the two. I was impressed with both. G425, in contrast, wasn’t as interesting, which was not what I expected or wanted going in. I need to do an actual fitting and see what kind of launch/spin I can get, but if I were to buy right now it would be the epic max ls with the ventus black.

I can’t recall spin numbers as was in June 2019 but recall fitter said was high and he was messing with heads/shafts very quickly. I would say my launch angle was around 15-16 but memory is short. I know my SS is between 93-97 but will be higher end since cortisone shot in shoulder couple weeks after fitting. My current flight is mid flight, no issues there.
Unless your angle of attack is really high (+4 deg) it sounds like you need to decrease loft which will also bring down spin. Best I can do without more details, but basically a 95mph head speed with an average angle of attack (say +1 to+2 degrees), to maximize distance you would most likely want to be 13-14 deg launch angle and 2400-2700 rpm spin. A lot of players with less than 100mph club head speed think they need spin around 2000-2100, but that is not enough to keep the ball in the air long enough.

Wow, finding a way to save 18g is huge for the driver. Curious to see how golfers that still use the Epic Flash do when compared to the Speed and Max options too.

Is Callaway still using the same Optifit Adapters for the shafts?

For drivers, yes. The Optifit 2 adapter they have used for the past 7 or so years is still carrying over.

Thanks for the info, sir!!!

after a day of frustrating lefts with the mav max, and finding the miss to be trending too much in that direction, max ls has my full attention.

Triple Diamond remedied that for me. The LS might be the ticket.

I hit the Max 3w tonight, off the deck, driver long.

I hit the Max 3w tonight, off the deck, driver long.

Have you been able to put it up against the Speed 3w?

We’ve had a few days to digest these now, how are we feeling?

We’ve had a few days to digest these now, how are we feeling?
I would say going in to my fitting in a couple weeks that the Max LS is one of the favorites going in to it. It truly sounds like it could provide unicorn type of performance for me based on feedback I've seen so far.

I would say going in to my fitting in a couple weeks that the Max LS is one of the favorites going in to it. It truly sounds like it could provide unicorn type of performance for me based on feedback I've seen so far.

so much this. good spin. great forgiveness. mid high launch. with a bit of anti left. shut up and take my money.

Looking forward to hitting the speed as well as the max ls. I’m not sure if the head shape of the ls will suit my eye based on the pictures I have seen but won’t know for sure until I see it at address. The speed head shape does look good to me

I plan to hit the fairways Thursday as I think they should be in. If not I'll just keep hitting the Epic Speed driver and Apex irons!

That should definitely go in the THP-approved lexicon.

Next time someone asks me to describe my swing, I'll answer theoretically fade capable.
I was thinking about adding it to my profile 😂

Today Live at 2pm ET these will be discussed heavily and tested.

Back