Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I’m enjoying the Max 7w but I’ve already moved on from the 5w. It just seemed to spin lots and I couldn’t get comfy with it off the tee. I’d appreciate any thoughts from people playing the speed 4w or 5w. I think I may enjoy the deeper face a bit more.

Have you tried moving the heavy weight toward the face (up front)? Should help drop spin.

Last edited:
Have you tried moving the heavy weight toward the face (up front)? Should help drop spin.

Ironically when I first got it the heavy weight was already forward so I kinda had no where to go with it. I appreciate the response though. 🙏

Not sure if it's worth considering because the B21 has been good to me, but with some swing changes I'm working on, I may need to hit the Max LS head to head with the B21.

Not sure if it's worth considering because the B21 has been good to me, but with some swing changes I'm working on, I may need to hit the Max LS head to head with the B21.

Once again I'm not playing nearly enough golf to satisfy my own senses ......I'm not , say @OldandStiff getting out for 36 a day shooting 65 each round🙄🙄

So with that said , after my covid-ity battle , my son and I headed over to fun little executive course......I get the chance to hit driver probably 8 times during the round.....not because I need to , I WANT to. Didn't miss a beat.....the Speed /Tensei Blue combo is just on cruise control...... everything I want , just need rounds!🤨

Once again I'm not playing nearly enough golf to satisfy my own senses ......I'm not , say @OldandStiff getting out for 36 a day shooting 65 each round🙄🙄

So with that said , after my covid-ity battle , my son and I headed over to fun little executive course......I get the chance to hit driver probably 8 times during the round.....not because I need to , I WANT to. Didn't miss a beat.....the Speed /Tensei Blue combo is just on cruise control...... everything I want , just need rounds!🤨
First.. 36 holes in a day is madness, and I shot 68 today. ;)

Second, glad you're feeling well and still slinging that Epic Speed. 👍

Last edited:
Great shooting Tex! Is the TSI3 still lead dawg? Haven't seen your YT vids in a minute.....what gives? I live vicariously through you nowadays
Yes, the other head is still lead dawg, but the newness is

20210804_000254.jpg

this bad boy. Which will surely see some time in the Speed head too.

Had a few rounds with the Speed 💎💎💎 LS. Was snap hooking alot. So went in yesterday for a quick adjustment. Tried the Ventus black 6x to see if I could keep the left side out of play but could not get along with that profile. Just couldn’t time it up. So we kept the AD XC 6x as that profile just works for me and moved the heavy weight to the back and put the sleeve at -1/D. Seemed to work. When I got too quick or handsy the ball didn’t go left and if I got lazy it went up the right side without spraying too much. Going to the course tomorrow to try it out this way. What was still surprising are the ball speeds. Consistently 165-167mph and even got 1 at 170mph. Can’t really remember any driver that I have owned retain this much ball speed!

Last edited:
Another good day with the LS. I was in the fairway or close all day. There are two holes at my course that are wide open and have adjacent holes on both sides. They are late in the round and I am warmed up and know how I am swinging that day and if I am feeling good I will let it rip. Both were well over 300 today with one on the left fringe and another center cut. 🦄 💣

I had a decent round with my Epic Speed driver a couple nights ago. The first few hours I was hitting nice draws which is my normal shot shape. Then it straightened out but I kept aiming right expecting the draw. Took me longer to adjust than it should have but even those were a good distance and just in the rough.

I ordered a month ago when there estimate said 1-2 weeks hoping that I would at least have it by the vacation rounds I had planned for this weekend.

Status just changed to being packaged so it looks like it will get here one day too late. That timing.

Consolation though is I have been hitting my Epic Flash really well the last couple weeks.

Funny you say that, I kind of came in here reading up with the same thought. I've made some swing changes and suddenly (granted over two rounds so limited sample size) my B21 is going left pretty hard consistently. Definitely still have some tricks in the bag to see if I can straighten it out but need some range time to figure out if I can adjust my way there or if it might be time to try a different head. My brother recently picked up the Max LS and when I played a tournament and a regular round with him a couple weekends ago he was an absolute monster with it so this head has been on my mind since then (would stick with my UST shaft).

Funny you say that, I kind of came in here reading up with the same thought. I've made some swing changes and suddenly (granted over two rounds so limited sample size) my B21 is going left pretty hard consistently. Definitely still have some tricks in the bag to see if I can straighten it out but need some range time to figure out if I can adjust my way there or if it might be time to try a different head. My brother recently picked up the Max LS and when I played a tournament and a regular round with him a couple weekends ago he was an absolute monster with it so this head has been on my mind since then (would stick with my UST shaft).

When I picked up the B21 I was fighting a big right miss. That miss still creeps up now and then but not as bad as it was. I’m not missing it far left; most are pretty straight. The B21 is not a high spin head by any means but it seems like the LS would be lower spin and still fairly forgiving. I am hoping to get a comparison within the next few weeks.

When I picked up the B21 I was fighting a big right miss. That miss still creeps up now and then but not as bad as it was. I’m not missing it far left; most are pretty straight. The B21 is not a high spin head by any means but it seems like the LS would be lower spin and still fairly forgiving. I am hoping to get a comparison within the next few weeks.
Definitely look forward to your thoughts.

Max LS driver is a crazy stick.

I just hit the most insanely long toe shot I’ve hit in my memory. The club twisted wide open through the ball, went dead straight and further than some of my great drives on the hole.

Followed that one up with one of the longest drives I’ve hit on an up hill par 4.

This is on my home course, which I’ve played thousands of times.

Last edited:
Max LS driver is a crazy stick.

I just hit the most insanely long toe shot I’ve hit in my memory. The club twisted wide open through the ball, went dead straight and further than some of my great drives on the hole.

Followed that one up with one of the longest drives I’ve hit on an up hill par 4.

This is on my home course, which I’ve played thousands of times.
It can do some freak things when you catch it right, that's for sure.

It can do some freak things when it catch it right, that's for sure.

Driver is insane at times. I hit 4 bombs today. Couple stinkers.

If there is a high launch, low spin driver….this has to be it.

That looks like my combo. Max LS 10.5 with a Tensei Pro Orange 70 gram stiff shaft. I have hit the toe floater shot you described above a few times. Mine is a slight push that does not curve an inch and goes forever.

I could not believe it didnt dive into the ground with me yelling…”please stop!” Lol.

It was a super high, flat bomb. When we got up to the ball it was like 15 past some of my typical great drives.

As soon as the ball came off the face I was like “ah no”…. guys in the group looked at me and said “what was wrong with that”. I was just shaking my head in bewilderment.

Also randomly brought my old Apex Pro OG hybo (20) with me......thing is awesome. I roast that thing. lol

Put some different weights into the TD to help bring up the launch a bit. On the range seems to be doing the trick nicely. We’ll see how it goes on the course tomorrow.

My Epic Speed driver and I didn't get along well last night but the Epic Speed 5 wood was great. My swing was off in general and I need more range work!!

Hey guys, may I confirm - how long from grip end to shaft adapter end is a 45” build for a Max LS? Does the head add 1”? So 44” shaft is a 45” build?

Cheers.

Back