Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

The more I keep reading and watching about these the more excited I get for my fitting. It's going to be stiff competition but these are at the top of the list. Fade bias plus forgiveness in the LS sounds heavenly.

Have
From yesterdays info from D-Nev's and this article, it has me thinking. I just finally picked up a Mavrik SZ this last spring, and I'm hitting it well, but I feel like I can do better. I had it on the Trackman and I was seeing my spin WAY to low. I was consistently between 1750 and 2000, and that was with a 1.45-1.49 smash, so I know I was hitting it well. The carry numbers were still in line with usual, too. So, I can't help but think the Speed or LS would benefit my game even more, if I can sneak up my spin to around 2100 to 2300 instead.
your tried your MAV SZ with the heavy weight back?
In the OG EPIC, it made a world of difference

Have

your tried your MAV SZ with the heavy weight back?
In the OG EPIC, it made a world of difference
Yes, both front and back....I thought about getting a heavier (than stock) weight just to see if that would help, but I haven't even looked for one yet. That might be cheaper than buying a whole new driver, buuuuuut where's the fun in that?

Yes, both front and back....I thought about getting a heavier (than stock) weight just to see if that would help, but I haven't even looked for one yet. That might be cheaper than buying a whole new driver, buuuuuut where's the fun in that?
I had to ask b/c I know of about 5 people that were going to get rid of a SZ until I asked about teh weights.
They all tried it and it was much better for them. Only 1 still didn't like it.
He is now in a STD Rogue

Haha.. There is no need to change if you like them... lol
Quite happy with the setup I am starting the year with. It is perfect right now with the addition of the ZX7 irons.

Quite happy with the setup I am starting the year with. It is perfect right now with the addition of the ZX7 irons.

Awesome.. You are poised for a great year!

The more I keep reading and watching about these the more excited I get for my fitting. It's going to be stiff competition but these are at the top of the list. Fade bias plus forgiveness in the LS sounds heavenly.

i’m VERY interested in your fitting. i think you and i have some similarities in our delivery. give me launch, give me spin, and for the love of all that is holy protect me from the left side of the course.

All of these drivers look great this year. Some don’t like the green but I actually dig it a lot. Can’t wait to get my hands on the Max LS or Max in a tour flat sleeve.
I saw this earlier. Looks like the LS and the Max are low spin more than anticipated. I know Matt's swing is pretty good and most of us have a different move, but for those looking for low spin, those two heads offer that.
I think Matt is already a pretty low spin player and the shaft they went to may have helped with that as well. I was definitely surprised that they found the Max to be pretty neutral (Tour flat sleeve not included. hehe)

Last edited:
All of these drivers look great this year. Some don’t like the green but I actually dig it a lot. Can’t wait to get my hands on the Max LS or Max in a

This is a good green and the white helps alot.

i’m VERY interested in your fitting. i think you and i have some similarities in our delivery. give me launch, give me spin, and for the love of all that is holy protect me from the left side of the course.
You're my brother from another mother sir.

Correct. The LS head was 10.5 and the Max was 9. I think that introduces some variance, but when compared to the mav max, this max is coming in lower than I thought.

I believe he tested the Speed and LS lofted up from 9* to 10* and the Max was 9* .......either way the MAX had a very solid showing!

I believe he tested the Speed and LS lofted up from 9* to 10* and the Max was 9* .......either way the MAX had a very solid showing!

i need to go look at it but I thought it was 10.5 heads. I’ve watched a lot trying to get information so they’re running together

There are only two this time. Speed and max. It is funny that they talk about the 4 wood. I think the 4 wood is basically the new 3 wood as most need more launch and these fairway woods are all going so far now.
Great point.

Great point.

Pretty sure the 4 w is essentially the 3 wood head but with another degree and half of loft given the listed cc size. Definitely something I am interested in.

i’m very interested in the max and max ls right now. putting the weight in the toe to stabilize the toe strike sounds pretty good to me, and both offer that. i’ve had a left miss with the mav max as my swing has improved, and i don’t like it. thinking one of these options could be kinda dreamy.

i’m very interested in the max and max ls right now. putting the weight in the toe to stabilize the toe strike sounds pretty good to me, and both offer that. i’ve had a left miss with the mav max as my swing has improved, and i don’t like it. thinking one of these options could be kinda dreamy.
You and I have the same thought. I've played well with the Mavrik and my buddy gives me crap for even looking at other drivers but knowing that big left miss could peek it's little head out at any time is a killer mentally. If it weren't for that miss I'd have no problem with the Mavrik for another season.

We’ve had a few days to digest these now, how are we feeling?

I'm interested in the forgiveness of the Max, but I'll be curious what sort of spin numbers I get. I'll likely need to test the LS model to compare.

I have decided to chance my order up a bit, I am going to go with a custom Max LS head and will order on Tuesday. I am going to stick with the MMT 70s shaft, I would like to order it a bit shorter than the standard 45 3/4” though. Does anyone know if Callaway adjusts back to stated standard swing-weight? Also what is the raw shaft length of a standard length shaft for Callaway? I have a couple of shafts that currently have ping adapters that will be getting Callaway ones installed if the length is good. Not much out there on the MMT driver shaft but it felt very stable and produced good numbers for me. @McLovin i didn’t try the regular max head but the LS head was very stable and my spin numbers were consistently in the mid-2000’s. Ball speed was really consistent as well on the quad with the LS and I’m sure I tested a lot of the face from center to toe.

My dream customs head would be if they offered a matte black crown as one of the options

I have decided to chance my order up a bit, I am going to go with a custom Max LS head and will order on Tuesday. I am going to stick with the MMT 70s shaft, I would like to order it a bit shorter than the standard 45 3/4” though. Does anyone know if Callaway adjusts back to stated standard swing-weight? Also what is the raw shaft length of a standard length shaft for Callaway? I have a couple of shafts that currently have ping adapters that will be getting Callaway ones installed if the length is good. Not much out there on the MMT driver shaft but it felt very stable and produced good numbers for me. @McLovin i didn’t try the regular max head but the LS head was very stable and my spin numbers were consistently in the mid-2000’s. Ball speed was really consistent as well on the quad with the LS and I’m sure I tested a lot of the face from center to toe.

are you typically higher spin?

Having hit all these heads the shape that I like best is the Speed with the Max LS a close second. I thought the regular Max was a little too elongated for my personal preference. All 3 sound fantastic and the green really is no big deal to me either.

Having hit all these heads the shape that I like best is the Speed with the Max LS a close second. I thought the regular Max was a little too elongated for my personal preference. All 3 sound fantastic and the green really is no big deal to me either.

did you find the max ls to be low spin? did it seem to protect against hooks? did you mess with the weights at all?

did you find the max ls to be low spin? did it seem to protect against hooks? did you mess with the weights at all?
It was lower spin than the Max yes but I did not find it to be triple diamond low spin. If I recall I was around 2400 quite often and about 500 rpm higher with Max.

Testing was done with everything at neutral/standard and we weren’t trying to fit me just experiencing the difference between the heads so weights and stuff weren’t played with.

As far as the head protecting the lefts nothing can protect against the over the top pull hooks.

are you typically higher spin?
I don’t get on the quad as much as I would like but last time I had my 410 lst with me I was around 2200- 2500 so very similar with the max LS. I will say for whatever reason my ball speed was up with the LS but that could have been the extra 1/2” shaft length. My swing produces high launch no matter what club I am hitting so a lot of the newer lower spin irons work well for me because they keep spin down in the normal range. I’m sure I can adjust that a bit by playing around with shafts or different balls.

Back