Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Did you bring your fitted Tsi2
Nope. This isn’t a formal fitting, just the run of the mill Callaway rep trying to drum up interest and purchases. Not for the gear nerds...
I’m really just looking to try the clubs a bit for look and feel.

Let’s do this!
51DB109D-B569-45DB-A040-46E38395B790.jpeg

Ok, so for me, I really like the Max LS and the Max. The LS has the nicest head shape for my eye. The sound and feel is very nice and def improved over the Epic flash and Mav IMO. The MMT shaft actually felt really nice.
The Max was going left a bit on me, but the weight was in the heel and I didn’t have the time to ask the guy to move the weight. The Max of course has that more stretched look to it, which I really dont mind personally. It gives me more confidence tbh.
The speed profile is quite small in appearance and the shaping just doesnt totally suite my eye and comfort. I hit it a few times and it was nice, but I didn’t give it much chance on looks tbh.

The LS would be my preference overall.

Funny, the rep gave me his info and asked me if I would want to manage demo days! I gave him a taste of my THP nerdom.... 😆.

Lastly...I tried the Pro hybrid quickly - whoa mama! It looks fantastic and feels even better. Callaway might sell millions of them. I was very impressed.

Also, the LS looks like the Mav Sub Zero and Triple diamond had a baby together.

Ok, so for me, I really like the Max LS and the Max. The LS has the nicest head shape for my eye. The sound and feel is very nice and def improved over the Epic flash and Mav IMO. The MMT shaft actually felt really nice.
The Max was going left a bit on me, but the weight was in the heel and I didn’t have the time to ask the guy to move the weight. The Max of course has that more stretched look to it, which I really dont mind personally. It gives me more confidence tbh.
The speed profile is quite small in appearance and the shaping just doesnt totally suite my eye and comfort. I hit it a few times and it was nice, but I didn’t give it much chance on looks tbh.

Funny, the rep gave me his info and asked me if I would want to manage demo days! I gave him a taste of my THP nerdom.... 😆.

Lastly...I tried the Pro hybrid quickly - whoa mama! It looks fantastic and feels even better. Callaway might sell millions of them. I was very impressed.

Numbers comparable to what you'd like to see?

That's awesome! I know a guy who's a demo rep. Gets an entire bag of Callaway clubs each year to play. Got to go to Carlsbad before too.

Yeah, GC2 I guess?
Should give the same ball readings as GCQuad. Just no club data. Still a great LM to see ball flight.

great thoughts! could you tell much difference between max and max ls? they looked so similar to me at address.

great thoughts! could you tell much difference between max and max ls? they looked so similar to me at address.
I thought there was a pretty big difference between all the models tbh. The speed is def smaller, quite rounded, almost pear shaped. The LS is a subzero/triple diamond baby shape. And the Max reminded me a bit of the Titleist TS2 ish shape. More rounded and extended out at the back. Quite confidence inspiring...

Numbers comparable to what you'd like to see?
Honestly.....so difficult for me to say. I guess the simple answer is NO. BUT that is because my swing is a hot mess at the moment. I have not played or practiced in quite some time. I really didn't look much at the numbers because I figured they wouldn't be a true reflection of where I could be once I can practice and play a bit. I did peek at a few ball speed readings and they seemed quite good for me right now, upper 150s.
I was mostly curious about the looks, setup and feel/sound.

I have the Standard Maverick. Do you (or anyone) feel the E-Speed is that much better? Or is it apples to oranges?
The Speed seems like a very good update to what the Maverick does, but is it enough so swap out 1 for 1 after just 1 year of use.
In my mind the answer is of course: YES!

Speed is a very good driver. Is it worth the funds to upgrade from the Mav?!?!? To each his own I guess.

Get fit...kind of a cop out answer!

Speed is a very good driver. Is it worth the funds to upgrade from the Mav?!?!? To each his own I guess.

Aren't both a similar shape? I hit my son's Mavrik the other day on the range and it feels great, especially when hit on the screws. I think the new Jailbreak gives you more horizontal/vertical retention of ball speed? Someone in the know will know. But I'm guessing you get more ball speed over more of the face. Since it is a more compact looking driver, if you're looking for an excuse to buy - I'd take that one.:oops:

Aren't both a similar shape? I hit my son's Mavrik the other day on the range and it feels great, especially when hit on the screws. I think the new Jailbreak gives you more horizontal/vertical retention of ball speed? Someone in the know will know. But I'm guessing you get more ball speed over more of the face. Since it is a more compact looking driver, if you're looking for an excuse to buy - I'd take that one.:oops:
In my multiple testing sessions I have found Speed 9° to average 1.8 mph more ball speed than my Mavrik 9°. I use my shaft and add weight to the Speed so it weighs the same as my Mavrik (I bring my extra weights and a scale). Launch is a bit higher with Speed than Mavrik and spin is within 160 rpm on average. So I will comfortably say, Speed has a bit more ball speed in it.

I like my Mavrik Max but like everyone here im always looking at new releases hoping to improve my game. Driver has actually been one of the more consistent aspects of my game ( compared to iron play) and the Mavrik Max has been pretty good for me. Im not sure how much of an improvement the Epic Max would be over the Mavrik Max. After reading posts here including @JB post about the LS my interest is up . I have stayed away from sub zeros because i didnt think i had the game for one i never even tried one. I believe i would benefit from the lower spin of the LS. When i was in Golf Galaxy today talking with the manager who i know and have played with he thinks the LS is where i would see a possible significant difference and it would definitely be playable for me. The good news is my credit card rewards program gives me Golf Galaxy points so i wont trade in my Mavrik Max if i make a move i will keep it around in the event that the LS if i get it either takes an adjustment period or doesnt work out. I am in no hurry because around here there is a chance we wont get out until at least some time in mid to late March. In the meantime ill continue to follow this thread and whatever other info is available from THP through podcasts or otherwise. Keep those posts coming.

I like my Mavrik Max but like everyone here im always looking at new releases hoping to improve my game. Driver has actually been one of the more consistent aspects of my game ( compared to iron play) and the Mavrik Max has been pretty good for me. Im not sure how much of an improvement the Epic Max would be over the Mavrik Max. After reading posts here including @JB post about the LS my interest is up . I have stayed away from sub zeros because i didnt think i had the game for one i never even tried one. I believe i would benefit from the lower spin of the LS. When i was in Golf Galaxy today talking with the manager who i know and have played with he thinks the LS is where i would see a possible significant difference and it would definitely be playable for me. The good news is my credit card rewards program gives me Golf Galaxy points so i wont trade in my Mavrik Max if i make a move i will keep it around in the event that the LS if i get it either takes an adjustment period or doesnt work out. I am in no hurry because around here there is a chance we wont get out until at least some time in mid to late March. In the meantime ill continue to follow this thread and whatever other info is available from THP through podcasts or otherwise. Keep those posts coming.

I think with Max and Max LS, it will depend on angle of attack and shaft choice. You can knock that weight over to the toe for a more neutral flight. But I saw where the big knocker on TXG, Matt,o_O preferred the Max.... so it all depends.:unsure:

I don’t know why, but for some reason, I am not hearing as much buzz about the Callaway Epic drivers this year. I have talked to several in the retail stores in my area and they are sort of ho hum.

I got rained out of a round today, but before the rain came, I was on the driving range and Callaway was doing a demo day at this particular course. I knew one of the guys. I didn’t have a time slot set up, but he handed me an Epic Max LS with a Ventus Blue. I also got to hit it with the new Graphite Design Tour AD HD shaft, which was the first time I had ever hit this particular Graphite Design shaft. I didn’t get to see any numbers and it was cold, but I was still very impressed with the head. It definitely had some fade bias to it. It was hitting the window I wanted as perfectly as I could ever ask for.

I don’t know why, but for some reason, I am not hearing as much buzz about the Callaway Epic drivers this year. I have talked to several in the retail stores in my area and they are sort of ho hum.

I got rained out of a round today, but before the rain came, I was on the driving range and Callaway was doing a demo day at this particular course. I knew one of the guys. I didn’t have a time slot set up, but he handed me an Epic Max LS with a Ventus Blue. I also got to hit it with the new Graphite Design Tour AD HD shaft, which was the first time I had ever hit this particular Graphite Design shaft. I didn’t get to see any numbers and it was cold, but I was still very impressed with the head. It definitely had some fade bias to it. It was hitting the window I wanted as perfectly as I could ever ask for.
I love the new Epic Max... The only reason I haven’t bought is I’m waiting to see the new PXG Gen 4 drivers that will be out in March.
I can play year round, though, so the smart move would be to wait 6 months when the Epic Max shows up on Cally Preowned for about $300, and PXG will have who knows how many price adjustments on the Gen 4’s?
I just have to hope I’m patient enough to wait, lol.

I love the new Epic Max... The only reason I haven’t bought is I’m waiting to see the new PXG Gen 4 drivers that will be out in March.
I can play year round, though, so the smart move would be to wait 6 months when the Epic Max shows up on Cally Preowned for about $300, and PXG will have who knows how many price adjustments on the Gen 4’s?
I just have to hope I’m patient enough to wait, lol.

I like your mindset here. They might be great, but my Mav is too. I’ll definitely want to tinker with the new line but I can wait until it hits CPO in like... 7 months!

Xander seems to be creating enough buzz with his drastic reversal in driving stats since the switch to Epic. Pretty impressive.

Also, it seems like many of the staffers made the switch to Epic pretty early in the season. I think that’s pretty good buzz on it’s own.

Every year TM’s new driver seems to get more buzz. This year in particular, it’s good but in many ways a step sideways. Callaway just keep plugging along in the shadows which is unfortunate because their entire range is excellent! TM‘s marketing team out does them all.

Back