Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

It's too bad that they don't make the Max LS in a 12* head, but I'm excited to put the Speed 12* (set to 11) and Max LS 10.5* up against each other as well as my current driver.
My Epic Flash is a touch longer than my Sim Max, but I just can't seem to get away from the left miss with it. If either of these 2 newer models can eliminate the left side for me, while maintaining the Flash level of speed/forgiveness - I'll be thrilled to discard my Sim like it's yesterday's trash.

For sure. With that swing speed, you get that smash up to 1.48, 1.49 and you've got a beast.

Yeah, getting a more efficient strike will take some effort and finding a better fit for shaft. I am working to bring my driver speeds back up, and this is early in the process. Last year I dialed way back for control. But this is clearly a fast driver for me. I like it better than the Max LS.

99.8 is nothing to sneeze at. You’re driving the ball what 260-270 ish ?
Average on Trackman was 264. I really need to hit the ball on the upswing, but usually don't :-(
Technology has definitely kept us older guys on some tees that would not be possible with a persimmon driver.

My custom Epic Max LS 10.5* showed up today!!

1.jpg

All black with red medallions.

3.jpg

Clean Crown option.

2.jpg

Mitsubishi MMT 70 gram stiff shaft. I did not request a swing weight but it came at my preferred D-4.

4.jpg

The Mavrik has been the best performing driver that I have ever owned. The Epic Max LS is not a lock to make the bag, it will have to earn its spot and the Mavrik has been phenomenal while the new driver has been on order.

5.jpg

The custom headcover looks pretty good but I like the Mavrik cover a bit more.

6.jpg

Looks good with the Apex Mixed Combo Set and the Super Hybrids which are not going anywhere anytime soon.

7.jpg

I have a round booked for Monday morning. I hope to get a range session in with it before taking it to the course.

8.jpg

Lets see some power fades!!

View attachment 8996608

View attachment 8996610

Clean Crown option.

View attachment 8996609

Mitsubishi MMT 70 gram stiff shaft. I did not request a swing weight but it came at my preferred D-4.

View attachment 8996611

The Mavrik has been the best performing driver that I have ever owned. The Epic Max LS is not a lock to make the bag, it will have to earn its spot and the Mavrik has been phenomenal while the new driver has been on order.

View attachment 8996612

View attachment 8996613

Looks good with the Apex Mixed Combo Set and the Super Hybrids which are not going anywhere anytime soon.

View attachment 8996614

I have a round booked for Monday morning. I hope to get a range session in with it before taking it to the course.

View attachment 8996615

Dan that bag is looking amazing!!!!

Got the Speed out on the course tonight. Was wet and soggy and the greens were closed so it wasn't super representative of normal play but my god was it good to get outside! I had a hard pull going on tonight and my strikes were all over the face but this thing is outrageously forgiving. The ball just wants to go straight and while that didn't work very well because of the pull, it's the most fantastic thing to see and gives me a ton of confidence leading in to the real season. A range session or two should clean up the pull. I'm excited!

Last edited:

View attachment 8996608

View attachment 8996610

Clean Crown option.

View attachment 8996609

View attachment 8996611

View attachment 8996612

View attachment 8996613

View attachment 8996614

View attachment 8996615

I like what they did with the Customs headcover.

Looks great, that combination should be looooong! Did you order with the extra weight or just insert yourself?
Added the extra weight myself. I like to play driver around 45” or less and like a healthy swing weight.

If anyone sees this, what are you older, slower swing speed guys using in this? Which head, Speed or Max (can't imagine a LS would be the best fit for slower swing speeds), with which shaft is giving you best performance? By performance I am talking length/distance as dispersion is not an issue for me (74% FIR this year).

If anyone sees this, what are you older, slower swing speed guys using in this? Which head, Speed or Max (can't imagine a LS would be the best fit for slower swing speeds), with which shaft is giving you best performance? By performance I am talking length/distance as dispersion is not an issue for me (74% FIR this year).

Tried LS and now trying Speed.......I'm hi 80s and the Speed seems a better fit......head weight is the same as my 17 gbb epic head(192g) but less spin ......playing Monday with it and will have more feedback......range time has it close to being bagged....

I am going to be so un-golf forum like here. I have hit a lot of drivers (many poorly) over the last three years, but for two days straight I have had crazy good result with the Epic Max and the (embarrassing) Recoil 450 shaft...and I like the green color scheme.
It is my friends and in two days I have hit probably 60 balls with it and 60 balls side by side with my Sim Max with Ventus blue shaft. The Epic is producing at least 15 yards more carry and the dispersion is not very close. It feels like I can hit it most everywhere on the Epic face and still be fairway bound. I am older and my driver SS averaged 99.8 on Trackman a month ago with the Sim. Maybe the Epic Max and Recoil shaft (I play Recoil 110 F4's in my Srixon blades) is the ticket for old guys that are losing SS?
Anyway, I have one on the way. No way to argue with the results I have seen.
The one thing left to do will be to airbrush over the Recoil name...Tour AD DI 7X :)

I got to play 18 holes with my Buddies Epic Max today. As I said, I had two really good range sessions with it and I was excited to get it on the course. I put in a solid 38 on the front (slope 132), and backed it up with a 44. I think I hit one fairway on the back with it...just hit it horribly LOL. I guess you can't hit it just anywhere on the face?? A real bubble burster :) .

I second guessed my fitting for the Epic Max LS all week (swing was pretty bad as I had already done a fitting for Apex DCB irons). Since I hadn’t hit it yet, I went ahead and returned the one I bought after trying the demo in the store again and absolutely sucking with both that and the Epic Max. I may try to go back in and try again in a few weeks...there is being rusty and there is whatever in the world my swing is doing right now.

So, my TSi3 has competition. I sold so much golf equipment, I decided to make one last purchase for the year, a custom Max LS, with Smoke Blue shaft. It arrived while I was on my trip to Cabos. I have it out today on one of my regular courses. To me, it plays like a B21. Forgiveness all over the face. Believe me, I have tested it. But, it has a little fade bias. It is incredible. More after the round...

I went Max. It’s longer than EF for me

The real rock star out of the Epic wood releases may be the Epic Speed 3 wood. I hit it off the tee twice today. One drive went 276 yards and then I had this monster. I have never hit a 282 yard 3 wood on that particular hole.55D69AEA-8261-4451-BC7B-49907B92A30E.jpeg

Whether the Max LS or the TSi3 wins the long term spot in the bag is going to be a real show down. The Titleist has given me loads of confidence, but I am seeing more distance potential with the Max LS and it is a very forgiving head. Today, I hit driver 9 times. I hit 8 fairways and had 3 drives of 295 yards or longer, including the two below. I am in a love triangle. 😂

4564D179-C2D3-45E2-9A0B-670DEEABEBE8.jpeg678F140F-D37B-4AFB-8D64-561C47666943.jpeg

View attachment 8996608

View attachment 8996610

Clean Crown option.

View attachment 8996609

View attachment 8996611

View attachment 8996612

View attachment 8996613

View attachment 8996614

View attachment 8996615

Very curious to read your thoughts on the LS vs SZ...

The Blue highlights on the custom head look great with the PVD Smoke Blue shaft.

E6D96529-E31E-48BB-8A54-0172B24FB0AD.jpeg1BEEE36E-3EC9-43BA-B8F2-3118D48FA043.jpeg51DD060B-262F-4DC2-9FFA-2EDF46FE2DE1.jpeg

Whether the Max LS or the TSi3 wins the long term spot in the bag is going to be a real show down. The Titleist has given me loads of confidence, but I am seeing more distance potential with the Max LS and it is a very forgiving head. Today, I hit driver 9 times. I hit 8 fairways and had 3 drives of 295 yards or longer, including the two below. I am in a love triangle. 😂

View attachment 8996744View attachment 8996745
Beauty, you mentioned you went with a customs head, did you post any pics? If you did I totally missed them. I wish mine would just show up already

Beauty, you mentioned you went with a customs head, did you post any pics? If you did I totally missed them. I wish mine would just show up already
I just did.

You posted pics just as I hit post

Back