Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

These will be a must try for me this year. Great writeup James!

What’s cooler is that’s just the face of the Speed, the others are totally different. And the face that every single loft in the fairways has a unique one as well still blows my mind.

Exactly. AI for so many different types of golfers and swings. That’s what really amazes me. That is where it is so cool to think where AI has brought us. No more one club fits all, being able to dial in exactly what will benefit each of our games is mind blowing.

My question was about this: "Additionally, they are using a “Toe Patch” on the sole which has enabled a more effective internal weight shift for the designs."

But, before I can post it, you responded to another question with the following which answered most of it:

they used the carbon fiber toe patch to take weight from out there and move it internally, creating the bias.

Which leads me to this: does the moving of that weight lessen toe forgiveness? Seems like with less weight, their would be a reduction in forgiveness.

@Jman, I loved the review and appreciate your ability to make technical and completely foreign notions to me more easily understandable.

Don't miss out on the detail that @Jman provided about the new jailbreak AI speed frame in the drivers stiffening the body in both the horizontal and vertical directions. I circled this in my notes because they created a frame for a reason and in testing saw a 20% reduction in crown deflection when pairing this AI speed frame with the flash face.

Another note I circled is regarding the cyclone aero. With that they have seen 0.8 - 1.5mph increase in speed.

Which leads me to this: does the moving of that weight lessen toe forgiveness? Seems like with less weight, their would be a reduction in forgiveness.

@Jman, I loved the review and appreciate your ability to make technical and completely foreign notions to me more easily understandable.

From a technical sense, no. It is more about face closure than it would be about speed and spin retention.

My notes show that in testing those sliding perimeter weights in the driver provide up to 16 yards of shot shape correction in their testing. They did not mention anything about a loss of forgiveness when moving that weight but more so being able to dial in the driver to minimize a players miss.

Wow, there's a lot packed in to these heads. It's interesting that they could pull more speed by changing the shape a bit. I think the most exciting thing to me is that it sounds like the LS is going to come in a pretty forgiving package for the type of club it is. I've started gravitating toward a more fade based driver so having that higher MOI is super exciting to see.

Oh, and great write-up @Jman ! Love hearing the details behind the changes and innovation. For how little I've heard about the lineup I think people are going to get excited in a hurry.

As someone who loved the Mavrik FW's and is a little non-plussed by the TSi3's, it made me almost twitchy to hit these reading about them. (y)
The fairways have me excited as well since I liked the Mavrik fairways when I tested them. One thing that really stood out in our presentation is that they said testing showed the sweet spot was 36% larger than Mavrik. Center hits produced 1.1mph more speed than Mavrik. Low center strikes were 1.4mph faster than Mavrik. I will be purchasing these fairways!!

Nice writeup @Jman ! I'd like to hit the MAX vs my TSi2 to see the number differences.

I need to make a road trip down to the THP Studio :)

I want to know what is the color of the speedframe that is actually inside of the driver. If it isn't green, I'm going to claim false advertising. :LOL:

I love the tech story here! These do have my attention. The Mavrik was such a good driver for me last year. If they can improve on that club, these must be the best driver ever made (probably).

the conspiracy theory crowd will rehash the tired ol' "they're trying to drive sales to the customs." the looks are very bold, will definitely stand out on a retail shelf, and are polar opposite of what i'd prefer to see. @Jimmy3864 mocked up a pretty sweet custom though.

i'll definitely hit these. i wish callaway would consider a more neutral max model. the mav max has been a great driver for me, but it does have an affinity for the left side of the golf course.
I get what Callaway are trying to do, but as a selfish consumer I wish they wouldn't keep tying spin profile to a directional miss, even though I guess its logical.

@JB when you get a chance can you get a picture of the speed and max fairway heads side by side with both a top and face view?

I get what Callaway are trying to do, but as a selfish consumer I wish they wouldn't keep tying spin profile to a directional miss, even though I guess its logical.
So, I think this is where the adjustability for the Max and Max LS comes in. And I can speak on the LS as it’s the one (lower spin, not low spin) aimed at the trends in golf, particularly the shot shape that’s becoming the go to. That said, they’re adamant the weight adjustability and adapter can get them extremely neutral.

The fairways have me excited as well since I liked the Mavrik fairways when I tested them. One thing that really stood out in our presentation is that they said testing showed the sweet spot was 36% larger than Mavrik. Center hits produced 1.1mph more speed than Mavrik. Low center strikes were 1.4mph faster than Mavrik. I will be purchasing these fairways!!

Those are significant gains if true.

From a technical sense, no. It is more about face closure than it would be about speed and spin retention.
I think I understand that.

@Jman great write up, I appreciate the detail. Based on your knowledge at this time, It sounds like the Speed and the Max are somewhat draw biased. If I'm looking for a driver to minimize my big miss, which is a quacking, duck hook, should I look more toward the LS? It sounds like that model would be the one for me of the three.

8400 MOI on the MAX LS is about the highest MOI number I have ever seen on a Driver. Wild.

These look great and I am in the market to replace my cracked GBB Epic driver, but $600.00?
Come on....

More than anything else, Im interested to see what the new speed frame could do to my ball speed. I remember vividly touring the R&D department at Callaway and it was large and impressive and so advanced that whatever they design, im buying that it would help golfers.

Back