Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Apparently, my Epic Max LS is already in, so I'll try to pick it up this weekend. I may need to check the swingweight and figure out a way to add some weight to the head that isn't an eye sore like lead tape. 🤔
Add a heavier weight or add a 2nd weight to the track. Easy fix

Has someone said where they can be purchased?

Eventually, all of these weights for Callaway drivers end up at Billy Bob's, ebay, Amazon, etc. For the time being, I am using 2017 Epic sliding weights in my Epic Max, and they fit and slide just fine. I had a bunch around from the Epic days ranging from like 13g-17g, so it was plug and play for me. I believe the Epic Flash sliding weights work as well, but I can't personally vouch for those.

So I went down by the high school to get some swings in with the Speed.
It sets up nice behind the ball to my eye. Seems a bit taller in the face than the Mavrik SZ, but that's not a bad thing for me.
This head doesn't like to go right, I kept hitting little small draws which is fine with me.
It took me until the last shot I hit to go right with it.
It has a duller sound to me than the SZ did. Not a bad thing, but I attributing it to the extra bars. Probably has nothing to do with it, but unsure.
I had this set at S/N and will need to move it to +1/N for my round Saturday as I need just a bit more height. I didn't have any shots falling out of the sky so spin should be good.

Overall I like the setup and sound/feel and will try some different balls on Saturday just to see how it changes.

And where would one find these weights?
I thought I saw them on Billy Bobs. But maybe not.

Looks like your best bet would be to procure a 2nd head and borrow the weight from it. 😀

It sets up nice behind the ball to my eye. Seems a bit taller in the face than the Mavrik SZ, but that's not a bad thing for me.
This head doesn't like to go right, I kept hitting little small draws which is fine with me.
It has a duller sound to me than the SZ did. Not a bad thing, but I attributing it to the extra bars. Probably has nothing to do with it, but unsure.
I had this set at S/N and will need to move it to +1/N for my round Saturday as I need just a bit more height. I didn't have any shots falling out of the sky so spin should be good.

Overall I like the setup and sound/feel and will try some different balls on Saturday just to see how it changes.

Good stuff. I have been playing a little draw with mine but it has almost never turned into a hook so far except on a bad toe strike. Really enjoying that part of it.

Good stuff. I have been playing a little draw with mine but it has almost never turned into a hook so far except on a bad toe strike. Really enjoying that part of it.
Interesting. I mentioned this to snicks the other night, but I would love to see where the CG position on the face actually is with mine. I swear its a fair bit toe side of center. All gear effect shots and distances seem to indicate it.

Last edited:

I consider the Speed to have a soft feel; the Max seems similar but a tad different. You don't get a big sound or twack, but you do get a soft feel. The Speed just wanted to go straight. The two times that I tried a fade, it just tailed off at the end. I did hit it farther and as far as my Ping G400 Max on the same holes. Might be the new swing but it was darn accurate and straight. I will compare the two head-on soon.

I even hit about 4 drives over 8 holes with the Speed and found myself ... giggling. Kind of unusual.

I like the feel of the stock shaft (50g, 5.5 for me) I will also try the Ventus blue in it this weekend. I only noticed one that hooked and I new I got the club head slightly out ahead so that was expected.

Interesting. I mentioned this to snicks the other night, but I would love to see where the CG position on the face actually is with mine. I swear its toe side of center. All gear effect shots and distances seem to indicate it.

I think there’s a small amount of draw bias but for me it’s just the right amount so far. I missed left more with the Mavrik last year than I have so far with the Speed. Who knows though maybe just swinging well at the moment. But it’s fun

I think there’s a small amount of draw bias but for me it’s just the right amount so far. I missed left more with the Mavrik last year than I have so far with the Speed. Who knows though maybe just swinging well at the moment. But it’s fun
That's the thing with mine, for me, there's no real draw bias. It's like the cg is pushed out towards the toe and counteracting any real draw bias. And it flies further and faster toe side of center. More so than a couple others. It's interesting.

Well I just could not get comfortable with the LS, it could have been the shaft but I decided to move on. The shape never fit my eye and I thought I could get over it but instead of fighting it I will just move on. Shipped it out east to @Jimmy3864 this afternoon and hoping it works for him. Maybe I will look for a speed head at some point this year but for the time being I will give the tsi3 a good run

That's the thing with mine, for me, there's no real draw bias. It's like the cg is pushed out towards the toe and counteracting any real draw bias. And it flies further and faster toe side of center. More so than a couple others. It's interesting.
I will get a good range session before my round Saturday morning and will be able to tell better on the draw bias. I just want to hit some bombs. :golf2:

I have felt like the true hot spot on quite a few Callaway drivers was just a touch high on the face and just a touch towards the toe. Gives you the nice high launch / low spin bombs.

I have felt like the true hot spot on quite a few Callaway drivers was just a touch high on the face and just a touch towards the toe. Gives you the nice high launch / low spin bombs.
On a balance stick it is actually pretty close to center on the Speed model. I can ask for a cutaway and measure but I’m pretty sure what some are seeing has more to do with the AI designed face than is being discussed. It is quite a bit different than other options.

On a balance stick it is actually pretty close to center on the Speed model. I can ask for a cutaway and measure but I’m pretty sure what some are seeing has more to do with the AI designed face than is being discussed. It is quite a bit different than other options.

The more I hit it, the more it reminds me a bit of the OG Epic.

That is what makes us all different. I can draw and even overdraw the LS at will. Then today all I could hit were these beautiful cuts:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and hit all my fairways. On Sunday I only hit 4:banghead:

The more I hit it, the more it reminds me a bit of the OG Epic.
In terms of ?

shape wise much different. Speed is compact and OG epic is stretched out. Sound wise different too_OG epic was about as muted a sound and feel as you can get.

The Max LS was impressive yesterday in a couple different ways. First off the good shots are as long as any that I have ever hit. The previous round was very windy so I lowered my tee height about 1/2 inch into the wind. The LS made a different sound at that tee height and I hit my longest drive that day dead into a strong wind. I kept the tee height lower for the whole round yesterday and was rewarded with some YUGE drives. I need to get some impact tape and dial this beast in. When hit in the center it sounds great and is a real bomber.

The second part of why it is impressive is when I am not in the center of the face. The sound lets you know that is was not a perfect strike but the distance is not just acceptable, it is outstanding. My miss has changed from a big hook to a push knuckle ball that floats out there and stays straight or fades ever so slightly. I am not consistent from the tee so having a playable miss is huge for me. I have had one pull hook in my last two rounds and that is without a doubt the best thing about this driver for me.

I washed my clubs last night and was looking closer at the design of the Max LS. The shape is something only a mother could love but the performance of my little ugly duckling makes it totally worth it. At address I love the look of the square face and looking down at the crown it looks fine. It is definitely a stretched out Max shape but Maximum forgiveness is just what I need.

Last edited:
The Max LS was impressive yesterday in a couple different ways. First off the good shots are as long as any that I have ever hit. The previous round was very windy so I lowered my tee height about 1/2 inch into the wind. The LS made a different sound at that tee height and I hit my longest drive that day dead into a strong wind. I kept the tee height lower for the whole round yesterday and was rewarded with some YUGE drives. I need to get some impact tape and dial this beast in. When hit in the center it sounds great and is a real bomber.

The second part of why it is impressive is when I am not in the center of the face. The sound lets you know that is was not a perfect strike but the distance is not just acceptable, it is outstanding. My miss has changed from a big hook to a push knuckle ball that floats out there and stays straight or fades ever so slightly. I am not consistent from the tee so having a playable miss is huge for me. I have had one pull hook in my last two rounds and that is without a doubt the best thing about this driver for me.

I washed my clubs last knight and was looking closer at the design of the Max LS. The shape is something only a mother could love but the performance of my little ugly duckling makes it totally worth it. At address I love the look of the square face and looking down at the crown it looks fine. It is definitely a stretched out Max shape but Maximum forgiveness is just what I need.
Great feedback. Have you hit the Ping G425 LST? I'm trying to figure out if the Max LS has more forgiveness.

Great feedback. Have you hit the Ping G425 LST? I'm trying to figure out if the Max LS has more forgiveness.
I have not hit the Ping or any other brand driver since the 2019 Grandaddy. Neither THP or Callaway expects me to play only Callaway clubs in the future but I am happy to be an A15 for now and with the performance of Callaway's clubs and balls it may be a while before I venture out.

I think it's similar sound but softer feel if that makes sense...

I'm getting a bit of that too. Hard to point my finger on exactly why I feel its similar, but it just seems so to me.

In terms of ?

shape wise much different. Speed is compact and OG epic is stretched out. Sound wise different too_OG epic was about as muted a sound and feel as you can get.

Gotta disagree with you my friend......but gbb epic is pretty symmetrical and not stretched as much as rogue or flash non sz heads......I think the shape is great but I like contrast of the Speed silver face vs black of the gbb epic 17
20210224_135639.jpg

Back