Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I definitely can. I'm currently at work but I will get you a shot in the AM. I have a 11am tee time. The Heavenwood looks almost identical to the 3 wood at address.

If you are only going to take one I would probably take the 5W. That loft is right in-between the two. I do hit the heavenwood off a tee though on longer par 3s. The head size will be smaller in the 5W and a slightly shorter shaft. Hell, I'd even consider taking a longer shaft length in the 5w if it was my only FW club.

Thanks for that, no rush mate. I played a 5w last year as my only FW and loved it and stupidly went back to a 3w lol. I have a little bit of shaft lean at address hence why the heavenwood/5w appeals to me. In my head I can’t decide between the HW at 20*/43” or the 5w at 18*/42.75. Then there’s the weight placement too 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣. There’s a 5w a epic Max in the shop and I almost keep pulling the trigger. Great looking club.

2nd round with the Epic Speed today in a scramble tourney. 12/14 FIR for me. One I snap hooked and other miss was a high fade that the wind pushed off about 4 yards from the fairway but playable.
Short drive of the day was 218 off the heel and I knew it (that was a distance sound) and long of 257.
Plenty of forgiveness toe side but less on the heel.
Had the Ventus Blue 5R in it today and nice little small draws mostly all day. Ventus has a better feel in it then the stoke Smoke shaft.

played an early round with the Epic Speed on Sunday. I've been working on taking a bigger swing and really loading the shaft, and on the range it's been producing some really great distance and dispersion. On course, I'm not quite there yet and ended up losing 2 right and in the water on the front 9.
On the back, I started getting comfortable and took an aggressive line on 16 with a little tail wind (10-12 mph max) and ended up about 15 yds short of the green. From my tees the card says 381 to the middle. Definitely the longest playable drive of my life by about 20-30 yds or about 15 mph of helping wind. Made all of the front nine woes disappear. Keep in mind I'm at mile high here in Denver...

1618244040428.png

Last edited:
Are you able to take a picture for me of the heavenwood at address with a ball please. I’m super keen to get either an epic Max 5w or heavenwood as my longest/only fairway this year.
Thanks.
Here you go sir,

Attachments

• 20210412_140144.jpg
    20210412_140144.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 14
Here you go sir,

Nice looking club.

I bought the first reincarnation of the Heavenwood and the 5 wood about 5 yr ago. I think the length was 43.25 as stock. Now it's 43 inches. It was a good club but I kept the 5 wood. Maybe it was the bigger head, light shaft and length that led to inconsistency.

The 43 inches :oops: was always a downer for me. My talent is limited and I prefer my longest fwy at 42.5 inches. If one is 43 inches, I will grip down. I think Cally heads launch higher now and shaft options are better for launch - Riptide is smooth and they have PX shafts (don't know that much about them). I find a 5 wd goes fairly high with a good shaft. I prefer a slightly lower loft with a shorter shaft length. But we are all different. May be some factors to consider.:unsure:

Are you able to take a picture for me of the heavenwood at address with a ball please. I’m super keen to get either an epic Max 5w or heavenwood as my longest/only fairway this year.
Thanks.

Here you go. It is more neutral looking to me than the photo shows to me.

20210411_114727.jpg

So today I joined the “old guy’s club”, lol.
Ive had my Epic Max for a month now, but only hit it a few times because of some back issues I’m going through. i wasn’t really in love with the Hazardous Smoke 5.5 I had in mine. I’ve always felt the 5,5 in project x shafts played a little stiff, but with the restricted swing I’ve had recently, i wasn’t sure about this one.
Well today I felt pretty good, so I decided to scratch an itch, and went over to the PGASS and went through another round with a few drivers and shafts. Two things stood out... for some reason the Cobra Rad line doesn’t work for me at all. The second one, and it was huge, was that the Cypher 5.0 shaft fits me perfectly in the Epic Max.
I went from low bullet slight pushes to nice high little draws and.... gained 20+ yards because of that. I’m not going to lie, it was a little humbling when I saw what shaft he had in there, but I’m more than willing to check my ego at the door for that type of result. I returned mine and ordered one with the Cypher.... thankfully I still have my G400 Max, because who knows what the wait time will be?
Im going to be 67 the end of June, and today has me wondering if Father Time is telling me I might need to make a few more changes to my bag?

Here you go. It is more neutral looking to me than the photo shows to me.

View attachment 9002704

Thanks @Golfever and @Villn for the pics. It looks great at address and not too big either. Mmm the ponder continues. I’m leaning towards what Villn said and just run with a 5w like I’ve done before. No demo days around here either for ages. 🤦‍♂️

Thanks @Golfever and @Villn for the pics. It looks great at address and not too big either. Mmm the ponder continues. I’m leaning towards what Villn said and just run with a 5w like I’ve done before. No demo days around here either for ages. 🤦‍♂️

Go 5w it'll be a smaller profile and be a great in between club. Better off the tee albeit.

So today I joined the “old guy’s club”, lol.
Ive had my Epic Max for a month now, but only hit it a few times because of some back issues I’m going through. i wasn’t really in love with the Hazardous Smoke 5.5 I had in mine. I’ve always felt the 5,5 in project x shafts played a little stiff, but with the restricted swing I’ve had recently, i wasn’t sure about this one.
Well today I felt pretty good, so I decided to scratch an itch, and went over to the PGASS and went through another round with a few drivers and shafts. Two things stood out... for some reason the Cobra Rad line doesn’t work for me at all. The second one, and it was huge, was that the Cypher 5.0 shaft fits me perfectly in the Epic Max.
I went from low bullet slight pushes to nice high little draws and.... gained 20+ yards because of that. I’m not going to lie, it was a little humbling when I saw what shaft he had in there, but I’m more than willing to check my ego at the door for that type of result. I returned mine and ordered one with the Cypher.... thankfully I still have my G400 Max, because who knows what the wait time will be?
Im going to be 67 the end of June, and today has me wondering if Father Time is telling me I might need to make a few more changes to my bag?

The humbling part means you want the best for your game and speed at this time. Yes, we all must check the ego at the door. After a heart operation a decade ago, my fitter put me in Senior Flex - I said "Whatever Fits." At the same time, as I recovered and worked out, I am now at a strong regular flex. I'm a year younger than you. I've gained speed over the last 2 years with lessons and a more efficient swing and my guy screams at me to swing faster.o_O So I do:ROFLMAO: And he is happy, which is what counts, :) I think.:unsure:

Keep on keeping on.;) Don't let Father Time hem you in.:cool:

Last edited:
I went into this knowing my 5.5 Evenflo blue was not the shaft for me. I do not have a fast swing by any means but it's smooth and consistent.
Driver 250yds carry
3w - 220yds carry
Heavenwood - 175yds carry

I put myself into the Project X Cypher 50 5.5. It's not something off the rack but I hope it's a shaft True Temper makes for years to come.

I went into this knowing my 5.5 Evenflo blue was not the shaft for me. I do not have a fast swing by any means but it's smooth and consistent.
Driver 250yds carry
3w - 220yds carry
Heavenwood - 175yds carry

I put myself into the Project X Cypher 50 5.5. It's not something off the rack but I hope it's a shaft True Temper makes for years to come.
Thanks for the #’s.
This reinforces my choice today with the Cypher 5.0
Im a good 25 yards behind you with driver, and at least 20 with the 3 wood. My 3 hybrid is 180.

Thanks for the #’s.
This reinforces my choice today with the Cypher 5.0
Im a good 25 yards behind you with driver, and at least 20 with the 3 wood. My 3 hybrid is 180.

Cypher has been a God sent for me. The bend profile is perfect for my tempo.

Do you guys test out various weight setups in your drivers? For me, it makes a pretty big difference. D4 seems to be a really nice sw for me these days.

Do you guys test out various weight setups in your drivers? For me, it makes a pretty big difference. D4 seems to be a really nice sw for me these days.
I’m not overly tech savvy, but I look for a certain shaft weight profile (low) and “bend” (mid) before swing weight. D4 is the most I’ll go however, and I prefer lighter.

I will be for sure! Ventus Blue 6X inbound and am going to be working on dialing in the right balance for me. Don’t have a scale so will just do it the old fashioned way.

I will be for sure! Ventus Blue 6X inbound and am going to be working on dialing in the right balance for me. Don’t have a scale so will just do it the old fashioned way.

Although i have the scale, I go by feel.....then I check what it is! Ha!

Although i have the scale, I go by feel.....then I check what it is! Ha!
I had a good balance with my old Rogue SZ. I can’t remember what I put in. But whatever it was it was perfect.

Got to hit the max yesterday love the feel and it’s light weight best feeling Callaway driver I’ve hit my buddy Bought one I try to buy it all day but he wouldn’t sell

I had a good balance with my old Rogue SZ. I can’t remember what I put in. But whatever it was it was perfect.
I also change the weights when I mess with diiferent shafts. No hard rule that D4 works across the board.

Also recently stole TXGs white, mid size grip setup and it is really nice on the driver.

Also recently stole TXGs white, mid size grip setup and it is really nice on the driver.
Care to show a pic? Standard size is really almost too big for me, though I feel like I squeeze too much with driver.

Isn't that what we all do here at THP? :LOL:

I definitely tinker. I had to start doing the white wrap thing because I loved Hzrdus black and they're really tip heavy. Interestingly, I actually played my Mav SZ at a pretty light for me D2 with the heavy grip - took a little weight out of the head. Others I like much heavier.

Isn't that what we all do here at THP? :LOL:

I definitely tinker. I had to start doing the white wrap thing because I loved Hzrdus black and they're really tip heavy. Interestingly, I actually played my Mav SZ at a pretty light for me D2 with the heavy grip - took a little weight out of the head. Others I like much heavier.
The setup I’ve been crushing is the RDX black with the white midsize and heavier head weight. The 60g shaft is so good a bit over length, with weight at both ends.

The setup I’ve been crushing is the RDX black with the white midsize and heavier head weight. The 60g shaft is so good a bit over length, with weight at both ends.

I'd try that setup.

Back